Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
That lady would seriously get on my nerves.

This reminds me of a thread in itself. What dieting tips have you heard/read/been advised? I have heard a million. And even tho they are good, I still roll my eyes.

-Take the yoke out of the hard boiled egg, it contains the most fat. (OMG, you mean we cannot even enjoy a simple hard boiled egg?)

-Use one slice of bread on your sandwiches (like one slice is REALLY going to make me thinner.)

-when you go out to eat, cut your food in half and save the rest. (This is probably the only one that I SHOULD DO, because my greatest sin is overeating aka gluttony. But it would be difficult at a buffet.)
The one tip that no one ever mentions is using common sense. Kind of lacking these days, no matter what the topic under consideration is.

The boiled egg thing is both right and wrong. The yolk has the cholesterol, so if you really really need to watch your cholesterol and don't want to use meds to control it, egg yolk is a good thing to avoid.

As for the tips and fads, I remind myself of a cookbook I once had. It was the original Hershey's cookbook, not the reprint that came out 15 or so years ago. In the original book, there was an introduction that explained how calories [a new discovery back then] was a measure of food value, and that one pound of chocolate had the same number of calories as a one pound steak, therefore a pound of chocolate was as good for you as a pound of steak. "Chocolate is Good Food."

Right... but they left that part out when it was reprinted half a century later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Mine is a Waring. I love it. Try ebay first, see what the prices are like - and don't forget to take shipping costs into consideration.

I will try that e-bay idea. Thanks Karibear.

Synopsis, I like that nut butter idea.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Mine is a Waring. I love it. Try ebay first, see what the prices are like - and don't forget to take shipping costs into consideration.
Thanks kari!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I'm bidding on one in ebay right now...

Old 01-25-2008, 04:45 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Default Hi lovely "dieters".

Has anyone used the Butter Buds sprinkles? If so, what do you use them on?Are they good on baked potatoes? I'm craving a "loaded" baked potato, along with an onion burger, for some reason.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM

I use Butter Buds, mostly in mashed potatoes and vegetables to give a buttery flavor. It is more of a powder so I don't know if it would be good on a baked potato. I know why I am craving onion burgers, but I am holding out as long as possible.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:19 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Thanks Peggy. I really appreciate it as I have been trying to think what I could replace the butter/margarine in my vegetables with. Don't you mix the powder with water? I have a bottle of the "butter" spray. I had just forgotten about it. I need to dig that out and use it too. Speaking of sprays, have you tried the salad dressing spritzers? I don't care for them, because every one I've tasted has a sweet taste to it. I don't care for sweet salads or meat. I can't handle fat free or low fat dressings. I do like oil and vinegar though. Does anyone use plain white vinegar with oil? I even think Newmans is too sweet. I might start doing what kari suggested and just dip my fork. Thats another trick I always forget about too.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 AM

Yes, the powder doesn't need a whole lot of water, and no one ever notices the difference between the butter buds and real butter.

I tried one of those spritzers, it's still in the fridge. It just wasn't that good to me.

I get my dressing on the side, and dip just to get a taste. That works well for me, and I can have my favorite dressings. I like lemon juice & olive oil dressing too, heavy on the lemon & goes well with salt, one of my vices.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
I've begun losing slowly. Guess that is the way I should, it took me 20 years to get to where I am now. I decided to use more of a atkins type diet, although it isn't the focused diet that most dieters do. I try to eat as much home grown stuff as possible. We raised several hogs this past year, and used all natural feed and free ranged them, no medicated feed (they were not over crowded so they didn't need the medication). We are getting ready to order a side of beef (if I can persuade some friend to go in with me, I may purchase a couple of steers, feed them for a month, and put them in the freezer). We do lots of fruits, vegetables, home canned pickles, etc. We try to minimize starch......potatoes, breads, pancakes, etc, we avoid carbs, we eat meats and as fresh of veggies as possible. When we eat eggs, we have the whole egg. When we eat something that needs butter, we use real butter (margarine is NOT good for you, but we have 10,000 years of eating butter in our history). We don't do milk very often, but when we do, we pick it up at Swan's Dairy in Claremore where they still sell raw milk. If I sweeten anything I use local honey (it is from pollen that I breath in, so I develop an immunity to it and reduce my sinus congestion). I like fresh goats milk. We like cheese from the Christian Brothers in Kingfisher or Swan Dairy in Claremore. We try to avoid artificial foods as much as possible. Soy (that Archer Daniels has GM'd to death), too much corn, patented wheat and rye are not "good food"......I am firmly convinced that our bodies have adapted to what is called "heritage" foods......this new stuff is alien to us and our bodies fight it by creating allergies to it and other illnesses because of it. I am firmly convinced that many of the cancers we see becoming epidemic are a result of the bad foods and the created foods that we eat. Our ancestors were hunters and gatherers. I try to eat in that tradition.

Two other things:

I limit my portions. I love a nice 32 ounce t bone, but a 10 ounce KC strip is just as good. With a hefty salad and a nice glass of wine, it makes a good meal.

I do try to get in some physical exercise every day.....splitting wood is an excellent aerobic exercise, walking out to see the cows and goats and looking for free range chicken eggs is pretty good too.

It seems to be working......a few pounds at a time, and it is slowly coming off.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 01-27-2008 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 07:25 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Right on GP. I love your nutitional thinking. Even your pigs sound healthy. Kari, you are so right, common sense is the way to go.

Tonight and last night I indulged in one of my favorites. Movie popcorn! I am one of those people who does not mind shelling out $4 for a large popcorn and 3.50 for a lg diet coke at the movies. And of course we always get refills.

The funny part is Don always eats most of the popcorn. I can't handle more than half of one bag. Makes my stomach hurt. (We saw The Bucket List, which I highly recommend.)

Almost time to get the garden ready for TOMATOES! YAYYY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma