Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,286,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Bambi's relatives!
It's a lot kinder to cull and eat them than it is to let them starve to death in the winter. There are far too many deer as it is. There are so few natural predators to keep them in check now, the population just explodes. They cause so much damage to agriculture it's beyond funny, it's reflected in higher prices in the grocery stores.

Besides, I don't know them personally. They are lovely and graceful and very very tasty. And I've seen carcases of them in the spring, the ones that didn't make it through the winter. It's not nice at all, not even foxes and weasels can find much on them worth the effort.

I, on the other hand, enjoy immensely the liver, steaks, stew, stir fry, roasts, shepherd's pie, and a whole lot of other things they can be turned into. Being wild game, they don't have all those nasty chemicals and so on in the meat - and since the fat is very much an acquired taste, it's usually trimmed away so it's also very lean meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:21 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,913 times
Redbird's exercise program: chasing the wild horse. Colleen's daughter will be glad to take those horses off your hands.

I like deer meat. We used to let some hunters take some deer on our land, and we would get a nice package of steaks. I don't think deer ever starve to death around here.

I fell off the wagon yesterday, but today I am going to enjoy the warm temps and hike around in the woods.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Redbird's exercise program: chasing the wild horse. Colleen's daughter will be glad to take those horses off your hands.

I like deer meat. We used to let some hunters take some deer on our land, and we would get a nice package of steaks. I don't think deer ever starve to death around here.

I fell off the wagon yesterday, but today I am going to enjoy the warm temps and hike around in the woods.
watch out, you may run into a karibear out there.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Well, the Care Bears were always nice.

Didn't have a single refined carb today.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
watch out, you may run into a karibear out there.
What peggydavis said!

Besides, we karibears never eat anything that doesn't wanna be eaten.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:49 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,305,093 times
yel, karibear, I mostly don't eat things that don't want to be eaten. But I do eat chicken and fish now and then, and I feel bad about that. I think I should just stick to eggs.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
yel, karibear, I mostly don't eat things that don't want to be eaten. But I do eat chicken and fish now and then, and I feel bad about that. I think I should just stick to eggs.
I was rather iffy regarding chickens, but when my kids were little I'd ordered a bunch of day-old chicks from one of the hatcheries. They threw in a few extra in case some died in transit, but none of them did. I had 87 little peepers running around in the house while I frantically finished the house and pen for them, and you wouldn't believe how much dust those little buggers raised! And we all played with the babies, too, so that made it worse. But one can't keep 50 roosters and 30-odd hens, it's really hard on the hens. Then came the day when they all went out into their pen, they weren't cute babies any more, and some of the roosters persisted in flying over the fence and attacking my kids. That made it not so hard at all to start butchering. They were very tasty, too. What amazed me most is that some of the hens escaped too, and hid nests where they hatched out more generations of chicks. Those were the wildest birds imaginable! These were all a mixed lot of heavy breed brown egg layers, but the new chicks were wild - really wild. They roosted in the tops of spruce trees, 80 or so feet off the ground. Eventually hawks and weasels got the last of them.

As for fish [and shellfish], they don't exactly have personalities. They are so overwhelmingly at the mercy of their instincts, there's no room for individuality. Besides, most of them have a life cycle that lends them to being caught and used without guilt. Pacific salmon, for instance, the ones you find canned in stores, die as soon as they spawn anyway. Four years worth of escaping predators while growing enough to breed and spawn doesn't leave very many alive to make it up streams, and since they are salt water fish, simply being in the fresh water will kill them. Might as well get some good from them, since they're hard-wired toward suicide anyway.

All that rationalizing aside, I love salmon. And halibut, and shrimp, and scallops, and razor clams, and king, tanner, and dungeness crab...

Old 01-06-2008, 05:01 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,915,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
............... But I do eat chicken and fish now and then, and I feel bad about that.............
Reminds me of the city fella who went to a country cafe, because he was used to nouveau cuisine that fixed their chicken in a tuscany style or whatever the current fancy word is, asked the waitress "How do you prepare your chicken?"

The waitress thought about it for a minute and said "They pretty well know they ain't gonna make it."

Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 AM

We were in Washington a couple of years ago on vacation, Karibear. The seafood was fabulous there. The only thing I had I didn't like was razor clams, and I thought I was just at a restaurant that wasn't that good. You are making me miss that great seafood!

Funny joke, GP.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,763,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Reminds me of the city fella who went to a country cafe, because he was used to nouveau cuisine that fixed their chicken in a tuscany style or whatever the current fancy word is, asked the waitress "How do you prepare your chicken?"

The waitress thought about it for a minute and said "They pretty well know they ain't gonna make it."
That was sooo funny! I almost ruined my keyboard when I spit out my coffee.

Now that I'm back from our OKC trip, I'm on the wagon also. I gained a few pounds over Christmas, and then a few more in OKC. I need to lose about 20 lbs. I've tried low carb, Atkins, Carbohydrate's Addict, South Beach Diet, Weight Watchers, counting calories, counting carbs, Air Force Diet, Cabbage Diet ----------you get the idea. I don't even know what to try anymore, so I think I'll just eat smaller portions (that's my problem), and stay away from the sweets (another problem), and eat lots of fruits, vegetables, fish and unprocessed foods. I can't exercise right now with my sore wrist, but I can walk and use the speical hoola hoop Anna and I were doing a while back. It's supposed to trim your waist.

I'm so glad we have this thread, I think support is important when you're doing this. Then this summer when I'm in my new house in Mustang, we'll have a huge BBQ and blow it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma