Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:00 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,459,392 times

Advertisements

Since I have began to eat less quantity, which is my primary problem, my blood sugar has been bottoming out. Last nite I woke up at 1 am and had a serious blood sugar drop.

I ate 2 oranges and some protein, but as a result of overdoing it, I had a fasting blood sugar of 209 this morning. That is what frustrates me the most. It is a constant battle to keep my sugars in check.

We made a turkey yesterday and I seriously over did it. This cold rainy weather makes me want to stay indoors and that is bad, bad, bad for me because then I get to snacking non-stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,913 times
Diabetes is a real serious disease if you don't keep yourself on the straight and narrow, Redbird. I have seen some consequences of the advanced stages, and I am sure you have too.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,763,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Since I have began to eat less quantity, which is my primary problem, my blood sugar has been bottoming out. Last nite I woke up at 1 am and had a serious blood sugar drop.

I ate 2 oranges and some protein, but as a result of overdoing it, I had a fasting blood sugar of 209 this morning. That is what frustrates me the most. It is a constant battle to keep my sugars in check.

We made a turkey yesterday and I seriously over did it. This cold rainy weather makes me want to stay indoors and that is bad, bad, bad for me because then I get to snacking non-stop.
my brother was diagnosed with (I forget the medical term), but like "pre" diabetes. his doctor sent him to a nutritionist who established a diet for him to control his blood sugar, and the outcome of it was he lost 25 lbs as well. have you ever consulted with a nutritionist, redbird? it might be a good idea.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:51 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
my brother was diagnosed with (I forget the medical term), but like "pre" diabetes. his doctor sent him to a nutritionist who established a diet for him to control his blood sugar, and the outcome of it was he lost 25 lbs as well. have you ever consulted with a nutritionist, redbird? it might be a good idea.
Nutritionists (good ones) are well worth the money and can solve a lot of medical woes, seriously. I agree with colleen redbird, it would be a dollar well-invested. Heck, I could use one too.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,351,221 times
Everyone I know who has been diagnosed with diabetes here in Oklahoma is also scheduled for nutrition classes, along with other types of classes. Did you have those redbird? They say eating a diabetic "diet" is the healthiest way for anyone to lose weight. I, for sure, need to be researching their websites.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Do you guys drink coffee? I'm currently drinking Folgers half decaf, but it's boring. Years ago, I drank a coffee that came in a gold can. (I've forgotten the name) It had a very subtle french vanilla taste. I don't care for a strong vanilla taste, or sweet coffee, but this was perfect. It had such a good flavor. I find the french vanilla creamers too sweet. I could only get it at Albertsons. Now, our Albertsons has been bought by Williams, and they dont carry it. I can't find it anywhere else. I had no idea I would miss it this much! I guess I'll try Dunkin Donuts. I hear a lot about their coffee, and people are so excited that its now available in grocery stores. What kind do you drink?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,286,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Do you guys drink coffee? I'm currently drinking Folgers half decaf, but it's boring. Years ago, I drank a coffee that came in a gold can. (I've forgotten the name) It had a very subtle french vanilla taste. I don't care for a strong vanilla taste, or sweet coffee, but this was perfect. It had such a good flavor. I find the french vanilla creamers too sweet. I could only get it at Albertsons. Now, our Albertsons has been bought by Williams, and they dont carry it. I can't find it anywhere else. I had no idea I would miss it this much! I guess I'll try Dunkin Donuts. I hear a lot about their coffee, and people are so excited that its now available in grocery stores. What kind do you drink?
I couldn't live without coffee - I think there's more caffeine in my veins than blood! My preference is a Guatemala/Antigua blend, but since the water is so bad here even after it's filtered, it all tastes the same. I settle for Folger's or something like that, but not the store brand. That's seriously bad. When I was a teenager it was blond and sweet, now it's just blond, sometimes black. After a few years of drinking boat coffee [must be like the boiled coffee of the old cattle drives] I got out of the habit of putting sugar in it.

Right after the first espresso stand opened, a fisherman came in all bleary eyed one morning and ordered 3 triple espressos. The girl made them and set them on the counter, then he asked for a big cup to go, and she gave him one. He poured all three into that single cup, looked around at those of us watching, and said "Late night. We're going fishing in 20 minutes."

Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,763,230 times
i love my coffee,but for various reasons i drink decaf. however, i buy the dunkin donuts coffee and make it VERY STRONG. in fact, if you cant dance on it, it's not coffee. dh and i like to go out saturday mornings to starbucks because that's about the only coffee i can buy outside my home that i like. when we were in mustang a couple of weeks ago we were very excited to find a coffee shop where we can go on saturday mornings with very good coffee (very similar to starbucks).

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,913 times
I like coffee too, but I only drink it now when we go out for breakfast. It got to upsetting my stomach. Now I drink green tea in the mornings. It is not the same now. I have bought Starbucks coffee from the grocery store to make at home for company, and it was so good, but expensive!

That big bowl of oatmeal really worked on curbing my appetite yesterday. I am going to eat some more this morning.

Last edited by peggydavis; 01-18-2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
i love my coffee,but for various reasons i drink decaf. however, i buy the dunkin donuts coffee and make it VERY STRONG. in fact, if you cant dance on it, it's not coffee. dh and i like to go out saturday mornings to starbucks because that's about the only coffee i can buy outside my home that i like. when we were in mustang a couple of weeks ago we were very excited to find a coffee shop where we can go on saturday mornings with very good coffee (very similar to starbucks).
Sold. I have to try Dunkins. I've eaten their donuts, but I don't think I've had their coffee. We have Julies and we do have a Starbucks, colleen, if you want it, over here in Yukon. We're also getting a Target super center, across from the hospital.
Peggy, I think Dunkins coffee is comparable in price to Starbucks. If I'm remembering correctly. I have to have my coffee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma