Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,216 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am traveling from DFW to Wichita KS up I-35. I love to stop off at "off the beaten path" BBQ places. Any place you all would recommend while we do this drive? Plus, I do LOVE beef jerky - so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 397,468 times
Wildhorse BBQ south of Sallisaw on the side of Wildhorse Mountain would have my vote hands down if the old man still had the place. There were more copters dropping into the field out there to grab some of his bbq than flies hitting a fresh cow's patty that lay basking in the Oklahoma summer sunshine. His beans were the best. Slivers of chopped brisket in the beans, smoke simmered in a sauce that would make Head Country blush. If you asked for "hot", a good squeeze of jalapeno juice in the beans warmed your tongue like a shot of Kiamichi Valley moonshine fresh dripped from a still into a quart jar. Back then the place was just a shack, but if you didn't get there early, you'd need a 4 x 4 to find a parking place among the 18 wheelers, town folks, and those lucky few travelers who knew about the place.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
Rib Town in Holdenille is the best BBQ I have ever eaten. It is strictly take out and catering, but really good food. I love the beans and brownies. I think it is open Thurs, Fri & Sat.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,507 times
I can't believe nobody has mentioned my favorite yet! Swaddley's BBQ 4 locations around the city Swadleys - Bar-B-Q Restaurant in Bethany, Oklahoma Bar-B-Q Restaurants. Check them out!

Also if you live Van's in Shawnee I encourage you to try Billy Boy's BBQ there also. IMO they are better. - but nobody can be Van's Fries

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,073 times
I didn't go through and look if this had already been mentioned; but Woody's in Guthrie is to die for! SO good.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Oklahoma Joe's is suppose to open a location in the historic Cains Ballroom this march. Does anyone know progress of Knotty Pine's rebuild? I drive by there often on the way to see friends and it looks like nothing is going on there.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 PM

32 posts, read 60,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman09 View Post
Wildhorse BBQ south of Sallisaw on the side of Wildhorse Mountain would have my vote hands down if the old man still had the place. There were more copters dropping into the field out there to grab some of his bbq than flies hitting a fresh cow's patty that lay basking in the Oklahoma summer sunshine. His beans were the best. Slivers of chopped brisket in the beans, smoke simmered in a sauce that would make Head Country blush. If you asked for "hot", a good squeeze of jalapeno juice in the beans warmed your tongue like a shot of Kiamichi Valley moonshine fresh dripped from a still into a quart jar. Back then the place was just a shack, but if you didn't get there early, you'd need a 4 x 4 to find a parking place among the 18 wheelers, town folks, and those lucky few travelers who knew about the place.

Yes, I remember that well The guys name was Hubert his son now runs the place not as good but still great BBQ try it..

Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM

32 posts, read 60,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I ate @ the Wild Horse about 3 years ago....really good BBQ....close to Eufaula, OK if I remember correctly.

Well, Not real close It's about 3 miles south of Sallisaw It's called Wild horse mountain BBQ.. Eufaula and Sallisaw are probably maybe 60 or more miles apart I'd guess..

Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
Well, Not real close It's about 3 miles south of Sallisaw It's called Wild horse mountain BBQ.. Eufaula and Sallisaw are probably maybe 60 or more miles apart I'd guess..
Shows ya how old I'm getting. I think it's been almost 10 years since I was over that way.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
Wonder's why any respectable okie would eat at Rib Crib over Leo's Barb-Q off Kelly in the East side of OKC, but i'm from Sparks which is close to Shawnee so I LOVE Van's Pig Stand... If your a pretty brave soul there are to AWESOME BBQ places in North Tulsa, Markay's BBQ & Fish House and Big Daddy's All American BBQ is really good too.... I would point out North Tulsa is probably a little more ghetto than East OKC which is where Leo's is but the ones in Tulsa are best in the state NO JOKE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma