U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 AM

18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I was in Norman recently for business. The drive from OKC to Norman was dull, and the flight into OKC also didn't show any of these types of scenery. The people with whom I met also stated that the lakes there are muddy and red. So, is the OKC metro area very far removed from these scenic, cascading hills scenes and lakes of OK posted here?
Yes it is, though the rocky Wichita Mountains aren't real far from there, but still quite a drive down the turnpike.

The drive from OKC to Stillwater is a little less flat and more beautiful as you go through what's left of the Crosstimbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,201,056 times
absolutely. it is terrible the effort we have to go to to get to a decent place to play.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:09 PM

183 posts, read 194,219 times
The mountainous areas of SE Oklahoma remind me a lot of North Georgia. During my years living in Dallas, I would take day trips to Beaver's Bend to get a fix of greenery and hills. It's a very underrated scenic area.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,683,865 times
Default If you head . . .

If you head ESE of Amarillo you'll find yourself in the middle of the "Little Grand Canyon" at Palo Duro. Don't let them that little hills and valleys fool ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I'll save y'all the trouble... from Cadillac Ranch, just off I-40 on the west side of Amarillo.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,683,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Be careful about the comment "before humans........." Many of us have ancestors that were here 10,000 years ago.
although DNA, carbon dating, archaeology have proven some interesting facts, exact dates are illusive. For instance Western Europe was well settled 12000 years ago. Native relics were found in Idaho(?) that date about 11,000 years ago, and in New York and Ohio about 10000 years ago..

The second tetonic plate split formed the Great Lakes. The Algonkin Nation, that settled in the Great Lakes, was very large and powerful. Its sub tribes, bands and clans roamed over much of America long before 1600. But, it was its ancestors that followed the track of the bison across the Beringa Bridge and returned several times before they ever settled in a new and unknown place. Many of the Plains Indians bands, clans, or tribes who were forced to resettle to SE Kansas in the 1800s descended from the Algonkin. Of those some were removed to Northeast Oklahoma.

Here's a little piece of history. In the 1600s a poor minister by the name of Elliott walked among the Algonkin and spoke the Word of God to them. He wondered why these people were so feared and hated? He concluded it was because they could not communicate. Don't misunderstand. The tribes could communicate among themselves, but they did not communicate with the English and French who invaded their country, killed them and stole their land. Elliott agreed to give them the ability to communicate, it they would teach him the sounds of each letter in their alphabet. About 1620 he printed the first bible in America. It was for the Algonkin. And so, for the first time in history they could use print to tell their stories and write their letters.

When I lived in OK, I owned land that once belonged to the Cherokee Nation. I held in my hands and read the first Deed for a land sale between Native and white man in Delaware County. It was dated long before Oklahoma attained statehood.

It is funny how life happens. The Algonkin Nation today is Canada's First Nation Tribe. It's descendants who roamed the vast United States before it was settled by white man is known today as Native Americans.

I would not speculate on the ancestry of any tribe or member, for each is different. What I will say is this. I wrote an article about the native tribes in my area, but before I did I spoke to the Principal Chief of several tribes. All told a similar story of how their ancestors came to a new world to survive. Anything else I learned was not printed nor will it be. At the very least the Native history is one to be proud of. It was not for the ingenuity and passion of Native tribal members OK would not be okay. it would be one sorry a$$ state.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:51 PM

6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
Taos NM Pueblos claim to be continuously inhabited for 1000 years. I'm not sure how anyone would know or prove it but it made the NE claims of ancient history back to 1492 seem meager. Taos is about 125 miles from the OK panhandle's far western end.

I grew up in Durant but other than runs out US 70 to Tennessee each summer didnt see much of SE Oklahoma. I plan a trip to see that part of the state in the middle of August

Old 08-01-2016, 07:39 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Taos NM Pueblos claim to be continuously inhabited for 1000 years. I'm not sure how anyone would know or prove it but it made the NE claims of ancient history back to 1492 seem meager. Taos is about 125 miles from the OK panhandle's far western end.

I grew up in Durant but other than runs out US 70 to Tennessee each summer didnt see much of SE Oklahoma. I plan a trip to see that part of the state in the middle of August
You'll love it. One of my favorite areas on earth.

Just remember you're a Yankee the moment you get west of Hugo.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:02 AM

32,734 posts, read 18,185,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Think archeology, Johnhw2.

At least from the time of Jesus, and for possibly 1,500 years before, the Anasazi occupied a huge chunk of mostly arid and barren real estate in the Four Corners Area of the American Southwest where four modern states – Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah – join at one point.

Major Anasazi Regions and Sites - Manitou Cliff Dwellings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma