Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,082 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Hubby is attending his final interview with Michelin in the morning and we are hopefully moving to Ardmore, OK. Woohoo! We're having trouble finding appropriate housing and I could use some help.

We have a baby, and it's important to me to live in a nice, safe area. We're thinking about Stone Creek Apartments, with the only problem being that they do not accept pets anymore (apparently they used to). We've already rehomed our black lab and we were really hoping to keep our little papillon (8 lbs of fluff). I have not found ANY suitable homes for rent in all of Ardmore. Most homes do not allow pets at all, and a few were either quite run down or in what I'm told is an undesirable part of town.

We found a couple in Lone Grove, but there's no dishwashers which is definitely not ideal. More importantly, some people have told me the water there is nasty! As in, it comes out brown or yellow. Is this true? Is it true for the entire town or only the properties on acreage? Maybe I'm a city snob but bathing or washing dishes in yellow water is sort of a no go for me. :-/ Can anyone tell me about the water there, and how locals deal with it?

Any other tips for housing? We need three bedrooms minimum, and more space is better because I'm a photographer and enjoy doing studio sessions in my residence - plus there's the baby, plus my husband has several instruments, etc etc. I also welcome any other thoughts about Ardmore, Oklahoma, Michelin, and whatever's on your mind For reference, we currently live in Colorado Springs CO and my husband is fresh out of the army. I'm a CO native, he's from MO.

Oh and I plan to homeschool so schools aren't important to me for consideration at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 02:00 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times
Have you already drove up and down suitable neighborhoods in Ardmore to try to spot FOR RENT signs? You never really know what's all available until you do that.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,448,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigressPhotog View Post
Hi all! Hubby is attending his final interview with Michelin in the morning and we are hopefully moving to Ardmore, OK. Woohoo! We're having trouble finding appropriate housing and I could use some help.

We have a baby, and it's important to me to live in a nice, safe area. We're thinking about Stone Creek Apartments, with the only problem being that they do not accept pets anymore (apparently they used to). We've already rehomed our black lab and we were really hoping to keep our little papillon (8 lbs of fluff). I have not found ANY suitable homes for rent in all of Ardmore. Most homes do not allow pets at all, and a few were either quite run down or in what I'm told is an undesirable part of town.

We found a couple in Lone Grove, but there's no dishwashers which is definitely not ideal. More importantly, some people have told me the water there is nasty! As in, it comes out brown or yellow. Is this true? Is it true for the entire town or only the properties on acreage? Maybe I'm a city snob but bathing or washing dishes in yellow water is sort of a no go for me. :-/ Can anyone tell me about the water there, and how locals deal with it?

Any other tips for housing? We need three bedrooms minimum, and more space is better because I'm a photographer and enjoy doing studio sessions in my residence - plus there's the baby, plus my husband has several instruments, etc etc. I also welcome any other thoughts about Ardmore, Oklahoma, Michelin, and whatever's on your mind For reference, we currently live in Colorado Springs CO and my husband is fresh out of the army. I'm a CO native, he's from MO.

Oh and I plan to homeschool so schools aren't important to me for consideration at this time.
I'd buy in Ardmore. The area around the high school is nice as well as the area parallel to I-35 just south of the Prairie Kitchen. Also checkout Plainview. If ya'll live in Lone Grove you'll have to cheer for the Longhorns! (*bleck*)....or as like to call 'em the Steers.

Welcome to The Sooner State!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:19 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,013,220 times
I know the area very well cuz I grew up in the area and after a long stint away moved back.

What kind of price range are we talking about? I know some people that rent houses in the Ardmore area and could possibly give you a lead on some houses that aren't even posted yet. Will have to check.

As for Stone Creek, I would recommend passing. If you can get a bottom unit then maybe. But I know for a fact that the top level units are not insulated well enough. You will be hot in the summer and cold in the winter and have high electric bills during those times when temps peak. I know a friend that stayed there for a year and it was sweltering during the summer when temps were in the high 90s and his a/c never kicked off, still too hot. Management was nice and if they don't allow pets it must be new because several people there did.

You might check Highland Park apartments. Not as new as Stone Creek but in a good area and people. Cheaper too. I would avoid any other apartments in the area because all that I know of have questionable tenants and/or area.

You most likely will need to rent a house. Unfortunately most will not allow pets. There is a property management company called OPM that builds and rents homes. You might check with them. Be wary of any low priced units as they are in a bad area or in a terrible condition. I do know that they have some nicer homes in their inventory so its worth checking. Not sure about their pet policy.

I would try to get into Highland Apartments or sign as short of a lease as possible at Stone Creek and start looking for a more permanent home to rent or purchase. If your husband is ex military he can get a VA loan which I believe requires zero down. There are some very decent homes for sale for not much money.

As far as the water goes. The water in Ardmore itself isn't really suitable to drink imo. We have a cooler that a 5 gallon water jug sits on that we use for drinking and cooking with. There are a few companies that deliver the jugs monthly or you can fill your own at several local stores. Lots of people live outside the local towns and have their own wells and the water quality is quite good.

For the good bad areas. Any place west of 77 (broadway) is probably gonna be pretty good. The area between 77 and Washington st is kind of jumbled. Good areas and some bad (generally closer to Washington). For instance a large part of the North side of this area has several streets with tree names (oak, ash, cottonwood etc), all good places to rent or buy.

I would include surrounding areas in your search, Madill, Davis, Sulphur. You might find something there that will work enough to give you time to start looking for something more to your liking.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
As far as the water goes. The water in Ardmore itself isn't really suitable to drink imo. We have a cooler that a 5 gallon water jug sits on that we use for drinking and cooking with. There are a few companies that deliver the jugs monthly or you can fill your own at several local stores. Lots of people live outside the local towns and have their own wells and the water quality is quite good.
Why isn't it suitable? In Stillwater, some people wonder if the water is fit to drink after so many cities have dumped their treated sewage water into the Arkansas River as it makes it way from Colorado to Kaw Lake and then piped from there to Stillwater. Some people don't care for the fluoride that put in Stillwater water, either.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,013,220 times
If you get a big enough jug and fill it then you will notice its got a greenish yellowish tinge to it. And it just tastes bad. I realize that there are people that drink it without any apparent adverse health effects but I grew up drinking rural well water so it tastes nasty to me. I do have a sensitive palate though but my wife agrees and she doesn't drink it either.

Also I like my water without a side of fluoride and chlorine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma