U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,204,981 times

Advertisements

5 types of Oklahomans and how they react to tornado season | News OK

Quote:
Disclaimer: This is meant to be fun, and not meant to poke fun at the serious nature of severe weather in our state. As always, stay vigilant and safe this season.
Quote:
As we gear up to take precautions and make sure we’re ready for what the springtime has in store for us, we’ll run into a handful of people who have unique reactions to the season and the severe weather it can bring.

People like…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 08:24 AM

432 posts, read 591,791 times
Tried to give you rep, but it said that I've got to give some to someone else first.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 PM

407 posts, read 341,003 times
Nearly every single family and friend I have in Oklahoma fall in the The Non-Chalant category. Only a couple are the worry-wart type.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:30 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
I am a nonchalant one because we don't have a shelter, so I either worry or don't, and so I don't don't.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,543,829 times
It's been many many years since I went to a cellar. Once when we had a new car and went to the shelter on the grounds of the company my husband worked for, he stay out with the car rather than be in the shelter. I think he hoped to somehow protect that car from any damage. Had he had his wish, the kids and I would be out and that car would be in the shelter.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:13 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,213,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I am a nonchalant one because we don't have a shelter, so I either worry or don't, and so I don't don't.
As a transplant, it's hard to be nonchalant. But then nubies to socal worry all the time about 'the big one' and native/long term people know its draining your energy since while everyone agrees it WILL come, your half second of warning isn't going to help you much.

The best I have is a closet made out of drywall with a room with big windows. I do follow the storm and watch the radar, but it just tells one if there is something heading your way or not. Some dry wall isn't going to give me much peace of mind.

I wish it WAS possible for more to have storm shelters. Some would sit in them from the first blast of wind, and some would be watching as the storm approached. But the choice would be there. If there was a good chance, I'd have my pets safely stowed away in advance. How do you catch a cat who's panicing during thunder? Me, the critters and the laptop would get first priority.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,688,447 times
Twice I've been in 80+mph straight-line winds that follow a tornado, and I out ran a third. OK is the only state I lived in where I did not have a house with a basement. Nothing can withstand a direct hit from a tornado, but much will survive the straight-line winds.

Outer walls, windows, doors are not places to be hiding behind or under in a tornado. An interior hallway under a large mattress I think is probably better. .it is where we went with our large dog and his buddy the cat to ride out the winds. We sustained some minor property damage but we were okay and that was more important than the 'things' we thought were s-o-o-o important a few minutes earlier.

If I thought my small pets were in eminent danger I would put them in their portable carriers and keep them with me until the danger passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma