Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times

Advertisements

A Happy 4 20...............try not to eat too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
I wouldn't dare in Oklahoma, the state that has among the strictest laws in the nation. Hopefully that changes soon. Oklahoma is unique in the amount of federal, tribal land so that could force the state to move quicker than it otherwise would.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
It won't change, if the next petition to vote to legalize medical marijuana can't raise enough money to hire enough signature takers. I doubt there is enough people willing to volunteer to get the signatures. Around 122,000-132,000 signatures needed. It's all that easy to do. Last summer during one weekend for the first medical marijuana petition, one of the busiest corners in OKC, at NW Expressway and the entrance to Hefner Lake only got around 1,650 signatures.

I haven't heard of any Oklahoma tribes wanting to grow marijuana.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-20-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 PM

The one thing going for the 420 crowd is the money. State budget shortfalls are happening all over the country. A lot of states (including Oklahoma) based a portion of their budget on tobacco penalties that were to be paid out of sales of cigarettes. Cigarette sales, even in Oklahoma, were declining anyway, and now Vapes are cutting into the sales left. A quick fix is going to be to legalize and tax weed. I can almost guarantee you every state representative in the nation is looking at Colorado with envy. Cutting police costs, cutbacks on prisons (this is going to be a tough one to deal with), increased revenue.........it's coming.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
The one thing going for the 420 crowd is the money. State budget shortfalls are happening all over the country. A lot of states (including Oklahoma) based a portion of their budget on tobacco penalties that were to be paid out of sales of cigarettes. Cigarette sales, even in Oklahoma, were declining anyway, and now Vapes are cutting into the sales left. A quick fix is going to be to legalize and tax weed. I can almost guarantee you every state representative in the nation is looking at Colorado with envy. Cutting police costs, cutbacks on prisons (this is going to be a tough one to deal with), increased revenue.........it's coming.
It was probably said during the depression that the way to raise tax money was to repeal prohibition on alcohol. So it took little less than a year for enough states to ratify the amendment that lifted prohibition. But Oklahoma didn't legalize alcohol until 1959. It took three tries at the ballot box, until liquor by the drink was finally legalized in 1984.

Once could hope, but I think it would be pushing it to think that Oklahoma can get rec marijuana legalized by the year 2020. And like in other states, legalizing medical marijuana will surely have to come first.

Four state legislators in my area have indicated they would be open minded toward legalizing medical marijuana. All four are against legalized rec marijuana, although one of them supports decriminalizing it, meaning only issuing tickets, like a $100 fine, when caught in possession of it. He also thinks most people in his district don't support rec marijuana legalization.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6c6eUeoa9Q

Quote:
It’s all going to pot
Whether we like it or not
As far as I can tell
The world’s gone to hell
And we’re sure gonna miss it a lot

All the whiskey in Lynchburg, Tennessee
Just doesn’t hit the spot
I gotta hundred dollar bill
You can keep your pills, friend
Cause it’s all going to pot

That cackle-bobble-head-in-a-box
Must think I'm dumb as a rock
Readin' the daily news
While I'm kickin' off my shoes
It's scarin' me outta my socks

The Red Headed Stranger I'm not
But buddy, let me tell you what
Ask ol' Will, he'll tell ya here's the deal
Friends, it's all goin' to pot

Well, it’s all going to pot
Best I can tell
The world’s gone to hell
And we’re all gonna miss it a lot

Cause it’s all goin' to pot

Well I thought I had found me a girl
Sweetest little thing in the world
But all my jokes went up in smoke
When I caught her makin eyes at Merle

He said, sweet little honey
With her eye on your money
She's gonna take every penny you got
I said she's never gonna get it
Cause I've already spent it
Merle, It's all goin' to pot

It’s all going to pot
Best I can tell
The world’s gone to hell
And we’re all gonna miss it a lot

It’s all going to pot

Cause it’s all goin' to pot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma