U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,213,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's been especially crazy risk taking to drill or frack for oil around Cushing, due to the huge oil tank farm there and the fact there is a fault line just to the southwest of there. And so what happened? Earthquakes of 4.0 or slightly more happened there last year. At least one of the oil companies penetrated the basement level. That's against regulations. So Oklahoma Corporation Commission had to tell them to stop. So I wonder how strong of an earthquake can those oil tanks withstand before collapsing? What a mess that would be. Earth scientists have estimated the Big One to come may be as much as 6.5 to 7.0 in magnitude. I just don't understand all this flirting with risk taking, unless it due to greed on the part of the oil companies and apathy on the part of the people. I'll admit I've been so apathetic toward the seriousness of the situation that I still haven't strapped my hot water tank to the wall.

By the way, I sure hope the billions of dollars of property owned by the state of Oklahoma is well insured against earthquakes. Also the Oklahoma rep for Cushing, Lee Denney voted in favor of the bill that prevents cities from banning fracking. The rep and senator who represent Stillwater voted against it.
Mess up the space under you, even small quakes are stronger. Out in California, I was living upstairs in an apartment. Right behind us, where a LOT of water soaked in under the building, a main water line burst early on Saturday and was allowed to rush out water until Monday. We could see how a bunch of it was going right into the foundation. I felt very glad to live on the top floor. We're talking man made sinkhole. And a few weeks before I moved, the line apparently having sprung other leaks so it was still making more mud, we had about a 4.0 quake. I was in bed, and the dog and cat jumped in with me and hid. It was one of those with the brief scary roar, which warns you. Then silence. Then lots of hard shaking.

My neighbor below who is handicaped said she figured if it was a big one she was a gonner.

This quake felt far stronger, but then we were sitting on man made jello. They never tried to pump out the water and should have called someone in before it got there. We had discussed if the manager was negligent over the failure to call a plummer to shut off water. If something bad *had* happened, I'm thinking it would have been brought up.

So if a company goes into the wrong layer with their pipe, as someone in Cushing has, and has induced swarms of quakes, why should they NOT be held responsible? Right off main street is an area they are fracking. The ground shakes when they're working. Who gets to answer for mistakes or do ordinary people not matter.

And a company is sending out legal letters for drilling through a section of town. If you wish to oppose it you have to hire a lawyer and go to OKC to testify. So I doubt anyone will be able to. This is not a high income area.

I don't care HOW important the oil and gas companies are to the economy, the safety and rights of locals so absolutely matter and should matter more. Does something bad have to happen before the blindsided politicans get it?

I'd really like to see some research or records on that oil patch to see how worried we should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,165,134 times
All forms of energy have always had negative aspects. Cavemen huddled around the campfire got smoke in their eyes and ashes in their brontosaurus burgers.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Mess up the space under you, even small quakes are stronger. Out in California, I was living upstairs in an apartment. Right behind us, where a LOT of water soaked in under the building, a main water line burst early on Saturday and was allowed to rush out water until Monday. We could see how a bunch of it was going right into the foundation. I felt very glad to live on the top floor. We're talking man made sinkhole. And a few weeks before I moved, the line apparently having sprung other leaks so it was still making more mud, we had about a 4.0 quake. I was in bed, and the dog and cat jumped in with me and hid. It was one of those with the brief scary roar, which warns you. Then silence. Then lots of hard shaking.

My neighbor below who is handicaped said she figured if it was a big one she was a gonner.

This quake felt far stronger, but then we were sitting on man made jello. They never tried to pump out the water and should have called someone in before it got there. We had discussed if the manager was negligent over the failure to call a plummer to shut off water. If something bad *had* happened, I'm thinking it would have been brought up.

So if a company goes into the wrong layer with their pipe, as someone in Cushing has, and has induced swarms of quakes, why should they NOT be held responsible? Right off main street is an area they are fracking. The ground shakes when they're working. Who gets to answer for mistakes or do ordinary people not matter.

And a company is sending out legal letters for drilling through a section of town. If you wish to oppose it you have to hire a lawyer and go to OKC to testify. So I doubt anyone will be able to. This is not a high income area.

I don't care HOW important the oil and gas companies are to the economy, the safety and rights of locals so absolutely matter and should matter more. Does something bad have to happen before the blindsided politicans get it?

I'd really like to see some research or records on that oil patch to see how worried we should be.
I agree and something can be done if enough people want to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRI3LFdzlx4

Old 05-03-2015, 12:06 AM

2,730 posts, read 2,098,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But an OSU geologist says it's not known where all this waste water goes after it's injected back into the ground.

Probably goes back to where it came from - the ground from which it came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or