Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:43 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can get a frack map of Oklahoma?

Also what do you think of the governor admitting that our earthquakes are caused by fracking, but now cities and town can not ban the practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=a+fr...2F%3B587%3B395

Old 04-24-2015, 11:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a frack map of Oklahoma?

Also what do you think of the governor admitting that our earthquakes are caused by fracking, but now cities and town can not ban the practice?
The state of New York recently temporarily banned fracking there, due to potential concern over health issues, so it not just about earthquakes. But I assume most Oklahomans, most of all in areas, such as Tulsa, where none of the earthquakes have been centered, pretty strongly agree with Republican legislators that fracking should not be banned or restricted much in cities. After all, Oklahoma is a poor state always needing a source for decent paying industry.

Further, since the earthquakes have been staying well below record breaking levels, they aren't causing much trouble. Earthquakes are so weak, most people have grown tolerant and complacent toward them. Only a handful of activists are trying to raise more cause for alarm.

Many of these earthquakes have been taking place well out in the middle of nowhere, where not many people live, such as Medford, so there's not too many people complaining to legislators or the governor. However, legislators representing the Stillwater and Guthrie, not so thinly populated areas, have been getting a lot of complaints, leading to Rep. Cory Williams calling for a moratorium on fracking in counties affected by earthquakes. But that is just political show. He can't really do anything, about it, but it gives him cover with a "I told you so", in case a record breaking earthquake happens.

Ironically, the Republican legislator who represents Cushing where the famous oil tank farm is, voted for the bill not allowing fracking ban. I have no idea how strong of an earthquake those huge oil tanks can stand.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-24-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 04:00 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Thanks to you both.

Does Green Country have fracking?

Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 PM

I can't even guess what the people in Tulsa think. I've not read anything that would be informative. Maybe I should hone my mind-reading skills. lol

Old 04-25-2015, 12:41 AM

191 posts, read 213,503 times
Mattie Jo

Oil and gas wells in Green Country have been fracked for 60+ years. That is, if what is meant by "fracking" is the completion technique of inducing fractures in reservoir rock using pumped fluid and proppant.

I have to make that distinction because to a certain segment of society, the term has come to mean "all the bad stuff that can happen when oil and gas is produced".

For example, the cause of induced seismicity (earthquakes) in the USGS report was NOT fracture treating per se' but rather the disposal of produced brine after the well is fracture treated. Water injection inducing earthquakes is not news; the technique was considered to reduce the risk of a major quake along the San Andreas fault in the 1960s.

I probably ought to introduce myself and establish my bona fides. I am a Petroleum Engineer by profession and currently work as a regulator for oil and gas activities on Indian Lands in NE Oklahoma. Since 1978 I have designed, conducted, witnessed or permitted over 8500 fracture treatments in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas.

Last edited by Skip OK; 04-25-2015 at 01:23 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 06:31 AM

Thank you for your post, Skip. Are you a Republican? (Just kidding!)

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post
Mattie Jo

Oil and gas wells in Green Country have been fracked for 60+ years. That is, if what is meant by "fracking" is the completion technique of inducing fractures in reservoir rock using pumped fluid and proppant.

I have to make that distinction because to a certain segment of society, the term has come to mean "all the bad stuff that can happen when oil and gas is produced".

For example, the cause of induced seismicity (earthquakes) in the USGS report was NOT fracture treating per se' but rather the disposal of produced brine after the well is fracture treated. Water injection inducing earthquakes is not news; the technique was considered to reduce the risk of a major quake along the San Andreas fault in the 1960s.

I probably ought to introduce myself and establish my bona fides. I am a Petroleum Engineer by profession and currently work as a regulator for oil and gas activities on Indian Lands in NE Oklahoma. Since 1978 I have designed, conducted, witnessed or permitted over 8500 fracture treatments in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas.
Thank you for this informative post. This post should be a sticky at the top of all Fracking conversations. The fact that the average layman thinks they can have a conversation about fracking based upon biased USA Today and CNN soundbytes is frustrating. We live in a world of headline-responders. It's a complex subject, and like the Keystone pipeline conversation, its not a "new" thing. It's only the newest "freakout du jour" for newspapers and online media to post as a headline. We need more experts and fewer lobbyists in the conversations.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Is fracking moratorium the solution for quakes in Texas, Oklahoma? - LA Times

Old 04-25-2015, 02:29 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
It's the wastewater/produced water disposal wells that are being fingered as the culprit for Western Oklahoma's earthquakes. This is a different well than an oil or gas production well. Rather than treating the water aboveground and making it clean for discharge, production companies are allowed to put the water back underground in a disposal well. It appears that some of these disposal wells are either poorly designed (for high pressure and high flow) or the geology was not known which could cause problems.

I'm sure that the legislators will be more concerned about this as insurance agencies have been warning that they will increase homeowners insurance rates across the state due to the earthquakes. Apparently, the I-35 corridor is more earthquake prone than Southern California. Once insurers change the building code requirement for OKC to look like Southern Cal and new home/apartment costs double, it will get a lot of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma