U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 12,688 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Alva in the Fall. I spent the last 19 years as a single Dad raising a daughter and I thought that she would be going off to college this year, but that's what I get for thinking. She had other plans. So, I figured that if she wasn't going to college, then I would and I'd finish the History degree (English minor) that I began when Ronald Reagan was still in office. After much research I settled on NWOSU because their history couses sounded very interesting, especially the ones on Historical Preservation and Museum Studies as well as the fact that it is cheaper for me to go to NWOSU as an out of state student than it would be for me to attend any of the four year colleges in my home state of Michigan.

I don't know anything about the town except that Peterson's college guide says there are about 6000 residents. I like small towns, I hope that I can find an affordable place to rent (i.e. cheap as possible) and that the people are nice and that the students at NWOSU don't mind having a 48 year old guy sitting in class with them.

So... close to the end of summer I'm going to be heading out, all alone on a thousand mile journey to start the next chapter. I am very interested in anything that anybody can tell me about the town, the school, the people etc. I've read in a few other threads that there is "nothing to do" in Alva but I've "done" those things (back in the 80s no less, so I KNOW about that which I speak ) and I had my fill of them a long time ago.

Last edited by dtlongrifles; 05-29-2015 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:58 PM

18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Alva is a better than average Oklahoma town. I have been there before and found it not as run down looking as Oklahoma towns go. But I wouldn't want to live there, since it's too small for me and too far from Oklahoma City or Tulsa.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 PM

8,285 posts, read 6,893,594 times
Townie is right. Alva is mostly German stock who homesteaded the area and came from the Northern planes. Lots of Lutherans there per capita. It is probably the least southern town in Oklahoma. Much more like Kansas as it is on the border. Fairly well kept village by Oklahoma standards but it is not at all green. (Although the abundant wheat fields are green in the spring.

The area around Alva is flat but Alva kind of sits in a basin and has some rolling hills and ravines. Almost all the land is in wheat around there. Trees are only in town and along the creekbeds for the most part. Not very many places to eat and finding a rental place might be tough unless you do it before August. Not very many places to eat but there is a sports bar there, a few cafes, McDonalds, Subway and a local taco place, and a couple of Mexican joints. The is/was a movie theatre downtown.

Weather is worse than most parts of Oklahoma. Windy and cold in winter. Hot and dry in summer.

The campus is tiny but very traditional and pretty. It is one of the smaller schools in the Oklahoma regional system so your instruction will be in small classes by professors and not grad assistants.

It is probably a good 2.5 hours to Oklahoma City or Tulsa and slightly less to Wichita Kansas. Most people in Alva go to Enid Oklahoma for most things that Alva doesn't have. It's about an hour and 15 minutes. Woodward Oklahoma has some things and it is probably an hour a way.

I think it would be a lot less stressful than attempting to go back to school at a larger school You will know everybody there by the time you finish.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:00 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,540,094 times
dtlongrifles, sounds like you're about to embark on a very fun and interesting period in your life. I don't know how it will be in Alva, but in most areas of higher education in Oklahoma, it's not at all unusual for a number of students to be much older than the typical age.

Finding a place to live may take some doing unless you arrive earlier than August. Or contact a realtor who can find a place for you.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:44 PM

If NWOSU is like OSU in Stillwater, then it should be easy to find suitable student housing on campus.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:23 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,540,094 times
Do you mean there is housing on campus besides dorms?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Do you mean there is housing on campus besides dorms?
There certainly is at OSU. But it's been doing away with old fashioned dorms and replacing them with modern apartment complexes. I don't know about NWOSU.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 PM

16 posts, read 32,618 times
Alva will be what ever you make of it. Yes it's small and isolated but really good people live there also. If you make a attempt to fit in you will find a niche that accepts you. If you go out of your way to be be different or odd then you will find it difficult! The town is small enough that it's easy enough to meet people and to become a part of the community. No shopping malls though

Old 06-09-2015, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 12,688 times
Thanks for the good information. Unfortunately I can't leave until August, just days before classes start. I may have to look into student housing, at least at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma