U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:06 PM

18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times

Advertisements

It's little wonder that the president of OSU doesn't appear on record to be worried about the earthquakes, even though OSU is closer to the center of the quake hotspots than OU. OSU's biggest donor says they're not even earthquakes and that the oil companies are not causing them. To him, the earthquakes are little more than something to joke about: Pickens tells Oklahomans not to worry about earthquakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 07:08 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's little wonder that the president of OSU doesn't appear on record to be worried about the earthquakes, even though OSU is closer to the center of the quake hotspots than OU. OSU's biggest donor says they're not even earthquakes and that the oil companies are not causing them. To him, the earthquakes are little more than something to joke about: Pickens tells Oklahomans not to worry about earthquakes
I wonder if their buildings are all built to the toughest of the toughest of California sismic standards... If I was sending a kid there, I'd want to know. Look at some pictures of Long Beach way back when most of Iowa had moved there.

Pickens doesn't have to wonder where the money comes from to rebuild and start over if/when something big enough happens.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,795 times
Hi guys!
Have you seen "San Andreas"? What if this will happen here, in Oklahoma? Such movies are always about NY or LA, to get more attention and rate... Last year I've read one report about climate changes, based on 20-year researches by new methods. It says, that continental rift is forming right here...

Film shows, that everything will be OK (despite thousands deaths), but... if we have a chance to prepare, to save more lives, we should use it... Some people (report's authors) can predict such disaster much more earlier, than couple minutes...
And if this will happen together with Yellowstone eruption, there will be no space to get for surviving in US.

(Tom Lupshu thinks so too - youtube.com/watch?v=XVpFpYdSpKI).

"While studying the new field of geoengineering, it became possible to identify a discrepancy between the data that are publicly presented to the international community and the realities of today... The same problem applies to modern tectonic maps. In particular, the North American lithospheric plate is not as whole as it previously seemed. The latest data indicate that on the continental crust of this plate, an intensive formation of a split takes place, which transitions into a rift along the border that practically divides the territory of the present USA into two halves. Given the fact that intensity in this area along the fracture formation line increases with each passing day, according to all the calculations, soon...", - more details here: allatra.com.au or here: geocenter.info/en/.

Seismic activity in Oklahoma has grown into one and a half thousand times in the last forty years...

I hope, conclusions are obvious for as many people as possible...

Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 AM

It looks like, for whatever reason, the owners of three sites did choose caution this time and shut operations, and may be shut for some time, very near the epicenter.

I've felt many quakes out in California, but that trio were quakes you knew to pay attention to. I was in my computer chair with wheels, and they felt like they jumped a bit. I sat around for a few waiting for the aftershock.

I really hope people are following the precautions about quakes your should... bolt tall or heavy stuff to the wall into a beam. Secure small breakables in cuppord. Never put a shelf or hanging object over where you sleep. If more than a stuffed animal can fall off, move the shelf.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM

11,183 posts, read 8,984,730 times
Mobile homes do well in earthquakes because they were built to flex, unlike brick homes. So get your trailers, but don't park them at the governor's mansion.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Mobile homes do well in earthquakes because they were built to flex, unlike brick homes. So get your trailers, but don't park them at the governor's mansion.
Until earthquakes start centering under the governor's mansion or the State Capitol, we probably can't hope to get much relief from them. Most of those earthquakes don't make much of a frightening impression unless you're right under them, or within 10 miles.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 PM

It was most interesting to hear the governer say that its clear that the injection wells were involved in the earthquakes and actually doing something. Last report was in the area they did the shut down the number of quakes dropped off considerably.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:29 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,540,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
On the other hand, mobile homes do not do well with tornadoes, which are proven to be much more destructive in Oklahoma than an earthquake, but not saying the latter is harmless.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:14 PM

At least five quakes centered in Cushing today, including an almost 4.0 which apparently could be felt from OKC to Tulsa. The 4.0 felt rather impressive, with the slip fault and then the rocking.

Is Cushing considered as part of 'In the Stillwater area' where they agreed to shut the suspect wells? I know fraking is done here.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:02 PM

About a year or two ago a well operator near Cushing drilled too deep and was told by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission to correct it. But the OCC didn't issue a fine, like some people thought it should have.

I definitely felt the strongest of the Cushing area quakes, which happened at 9:30 pm Tuesday night. It's getting more worrisome, and so is this article that came out today in the O'Colly, especially this part of it: "The distribution of recent epicenters reveals possible hidden faults, which may be oriented for re-activation, and earthquakes greater than magnitude 5 could shake the region on a weekly basis by the end of 2015, according to the study." Article here: Large earthquakes a threat to Oklahoma, research shows - ocolly.com : News

Sorry, Oklahoma, but I don't see how it would be possible to get used to it or become complacent about 5.0 earthquakes or more happening on a weekly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma