U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:48 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times

Advertisements

The one at 9:30 started with a very loud roar, and no preamble. Even after the big shifts, it was still shaking. I was looking towards the door should it not stop. Fortunately the door still opens and closes, thought I had to adjust the frame piece for the storm door before.

The one at 9:30 was also different than the others, which rolled first. It just made a big noise and slipped with a jerk which made the house jump, and then rolled rather violently.

Is there anywere to find out where this well which overdrilled is?

The scaryist quake was the last one in California. The ground had been soaked by a huge water leak so it rolled and shook, and I was upstairs. I just pulled the dogs close and the pillows near and figured if we collapsed I was on the top floor. My neighbor below said she'd cross her fingers and hope, but she couldn't keep her balance with the shaking.

Interesting we got a mailing about pipeline safety today. Good timing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
About a year or two ago a well operator near Cushing drilled too deep and was told by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission to correct it. But the OCC didn't issue a fine, like some people thought it should have.

I definitely felt the strongest of the Cushing area quakes, which happened at 9:30 pm Tuesday night. It's getting more worrisome, and so is this article that came out today in the O'Colly, especially this part of it: "The distribution of recent epicenters reveals possible hidden faults, which may be oriented for re-activation, and earthquakes greater than magnitude 5 could shake the region on a weekly basis by the end of 2015, according to the study." Article here: Large earthquakes a threat to Oklahoma, research shows - ocolly.com : News

Sorry, Oklahoma, but I don't see how it would be possible to get used to it or become complacent about 5.0 earthquakes or more happening on a weekly basis.
Time to post the rules all Californians know or should about how to keep your house from being a mine field with a quake. Like bolting tall heavy things to the wall and securing small stuff on shelves with puddy. And never put something on a wall over your head where you sleep which could fall on you. The heaviest thing above you should be a stuffed animal.

I remember 5 pointers. That's very possibly more than shaken up people.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:53 PM

18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Really, I think it will take a record breaking earthquake in Oklahoma before the Republicans at the State Capitol will take the threat of earthquakes any more seriously than they currently are. I think they are still listening to T. Boone Pickens, who says the earthquakes that have been happening are not really earthquakes. Hopefully, if it has to come down to an record breaking earthquake happening in Oklahoma, before they are finally taken seriously, it won't result in any deaths.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Two wastewater disposal wells will stop operations in Cushing, Oklahoma, following a series of earthquakes that hit the area, according to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission.
http://kfor.com/2015/09/18/earthqua...dents-authorities-shut-down-disposal-wells-2/

Old 09-18-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Two wastewater disposal wells will stop operations in Cushing, Oklahoma, following a series of earthquakes that hit the area, according to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission.
http://kfor.com/2015/09/18/earthqua...dents-authorities-shut-down-disposal-wells-2/
I can suggest one of them immediately.

And guess what, now that the storm finally left, dog is finally starting to settle down, we just now had a quake. And a second one.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:14 AM

I've only sensed one of the Cushing area earthquakes. I slept through the strongest one, which was 4.1M. I hope they get settled down soon, so I can stop worrying that they're going to get stronger.

The USGS has recorded 63 earthquakes of at least magnitude of 2.0 in the Oklahoma area for the last week. The frequency level is certainly more than usual.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Really, I think it will take a record breaking earthquake in Oklahoma before the Republicans at the State Capitol will take the threat of earthquakes any more seriously than they currently are. I think they are still listening to T. Boone Pickens, who says the earthquakes that have been happening are not really earthquakes. Hopefully, if it has to come down to an record breaking earthquake happening in Oklahoma, before they are finally taken seriously, it won't result in any deaths.
I noticed the report concentrated on the oil storage aspect. Maybe that will wake people up. But as someone who uses Cushing utilities, I worry about water pipes and poles and gas lines too. I haven't had anything fall off and break but had to readjust the front storm door. But before that a few years ago when this started we had to redo the whole doorframe since it bent the frame where it wouldn't close all the way. Or maybe nothings fallen off since I got used to never putting breakables up high from living in socal.

I am glad that the news stations are taking notice. Maybe that will light a fire under someone.

I want a list of the sites who are being shut down or restricted, since I'd like the nearby one to be on the shutdown list. I don't think they've done it recently since its an all day affair to put up the big tower, but you can feel the slight vibration in the ground almost a block away for hours. That can't be good for all those lines under the ground. Or people's nerves.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:47 PM

Just had a quake, 4.0 so far, which knocked out the power, scared a lot of people and dogs and made it really dark. It felt different than the others, more the rolling type and seemed to last longer. The poor kids across the street were afraid to go back in the house since they thought it might fall down.

Shut down all the injection wells NOW.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just had a quake, 4.0 so far, which knocked out the power, scared a lot of people and dogs and made it really dark. It felt different than the others, more the rolling type and seemed to last longer. The poor kids across the street were afraid to go back in the house since they thought it might fall down.

Shut down all the injection wells NOW.
I didn't sense it in Stillwater, since I had the TV on. What I worry about is will I be able to sense stronger quakes when the stereo or TV is on? Stronger quakes may knock my chimney through the roof, and I won't know in time to get up and get away.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't sense it in Stillwater, since I had the TV on. What I worry about is will I be able to sense stronger quakes when the stereo or TV is on? Stronger quakes may knock my chimney through the roof, and I won't know in time to get up and get away.

We had another one, 3.5 at 8:58. Also knocked out power. Both were centered in Cushing which is most worrying. These are the first which knocked out power. Quakes feel entierly different than anything else. You feel them with your feet and its like standing on jelly. They often have a 'roar' first which you can hear. Best thing is to not have things up high which can fall and a clear line to the door. You can use a table or other heavy object to get under if its big enough you need to get under.

And your pets will hear and feel and react to it before you will. If they start barking or running around for no reason, pay attention.

I'd have someone check the chimney for cracks or anything which could weaken then as well. The most important thing if your sleeping is to make sure you don't have anything above your bed which can fall on you.

What scares me is if we do have quakes in terms of 6 and 7's I don't think most houses are going to take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma