Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:19 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid the earthquakes are going to have to start centering from out in the middle of nowhere, like 12 miles west of Perry, to directly under Oklahoma City before state legislators or the Corporation Commission will get more aggressive about taking actions to try to make them subside. Probably until that happens, Oklahomans are simply going to become more and more complacent toward taking the earthquakes as a serious threat.

New earthquake report puts state's risk in plain language

http://oklahomaearthquakes.info

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-20-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,635 times
We must be vigilant.
http://uiwalls.ml/6/o.png

Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdrhr View Post
We must be vigilant.
Seriously, since most Oklahomans are not sensing these earthquakes, why should they be vigilant about it? They're usually so weak, a lot of people can sleep through them.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:42 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
There were 8 earthquakes in 8 hours this morning in Guthrie........

Guess they were running some kind of promotion.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Recently I took the top piece of my storm door frame and repositioned it. The door frame has shifted enough the door wouldn't shut and hit at the top. The inner wood door won't be so easy to fix if it does that. Yes, the house settles with rain, but it didn't twist the frame. The door was replaced since an earlier quake made it impossible to latch the door. When the wind blew, I put a heavy table in front of it.

I'm from California and I know that quakes will come now and then. But you actually get MORE damage from the small ones which are more frequent than the occasional big ones. We had to fix the door frame there too. But we had two train tracks running behind our yard too, and they ran once an hour. They shook about as much as the small quakes, and lots of doors and windows were put out of shape with the shaking. That house was twenty years younger than this one and normally on a dry spot of ground.

When some quake comes, triggered by the abusive policies of the oil lords, and it undoes all the work on the capital or knocks it down, I wonder what they'll say, or is that what is needed to make them be responsible.

I say Stillwater pass its law even though the state says it doesn't apply and goes to court and follows it all the way until they win.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When some quake comes, triggered by the abusive policies of the oil lords, and it undoes all the work on the capital or knocks it down, I wonder what they'll say, or is that what is needed to make them be responsible.
How about an earthquake followed by a tornado?

Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
How about an earthquake followed by a tornado?
No, but one sure happened during a severe thunderstorm warning in 2011. It was an after shock from the 5.6 earthquake. I heard a thundery noise and upon first thought, thought it was from the storm. But then heard my french doors rattle and thought that was an earthquake.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:44 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
There were 8 earthquakes in 8 hours this morning in Guthrie........

Guess they were running some kind of promotion.

LOL
LOL

Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
The problem we have here in Oklahoma, we are now sailing through uncharted waters, And our governor is screaming, "full speed ahead"! How do we know we're not going to have a big one that really knocks the heck out of Enid or Stillwater? Could Oklahoma really afford to rebuild Oklahoma State University? Our government would first blame it on Obama and then run to Washton begging for money!

Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
The problem we have here in Oklahoma, we are now sailing through uncharted waters, And our governor is screaming, "full speed ahead"! How do we know we're not going to have a big one that really knocks the heck out of Enid or Stillwater? Could Oklahoma really afford to rebuild Oklahoma State University? Our government would first blame it on Obama and then run to Washton begging for money!
Include Cushing in on being worried about. The experts don't seem to know how strong of an earthquake the tanks can withstand at the Cushing oil tank farm without bursting open.

If I'm right, OSU is self insured for damages but doubtful it it's sufficient to cover a large F-5 tornado or a record breaking earthquake centered near OSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma