Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 06:10 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,284 times

Advertisements

When I visited Oklahoma I drove through Bartlesville and noticed that this town has quite a few tall buildings over 250ft. I would have never guessed that this small town has such tall buildings that many large cities lack. Is there a reason why there are tall buildings in this small town? What attracted investors and architect to build these and what are the tenants in these buildings? Will any more be built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
What attracted investors and architect to build these and what are the tenants in these buildings? Will any more be built?
Investors were home town boys, architects will sell their soul for a fee. Frank Lloyd Wright found the money attractive..............

Quote:
The Price Tower is a nineteen-story, 221-foot-high tower in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is the only realized skyscraper by Wright, and is one of only two vertically oriented Wright structures extant (the other is the S.C. Johnson Wax Research Tower in Racine, Wisconsin).

The Price Tower was commissioned by Harold C. Price of the H. C. Price Company, a local oil pipeline and chemical firm. It opened to the public in February 1956.
Quote:
Wright nicknamed the Price Tower, which was built on the Oklahoma prairie, "the tree that escaped the crowded forest," referring not only to the building's construction, but also to the origins of its design. The Price Tower is supported by a central "trunk" of four elevator shafts which are anchored in place by a deep central foundation, as a tree is by its taproot. The nineteen floors of the building are cantilevered from this central core, like the branches of a tree. The outer walls hang from the floors and are clad in patinated copper "leaves." The building is asymmetrical, and like a tree, "looks different from every angle."[3] Wright had championed these design ideas, which other architects had put to use before the construction of the Price Tower, as early as the 1920s in his design for an apartment complex of four cantilevered towers for St. Marks-in-the-Bowerie in downtown New York City. Following the effects of the Great Depression, the project was shelved and adapted by Wright for the Price Company in 1952. Wright, therefore, plucked his "tree" out of the "crowded forest" of Manhattan skyscrapers and placed it on the Oklahoma prairie where it continues to stand uncrowded by neighboring tall buildings.
Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7qMwIRpyU

Old 06-22-2015, 07:43 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Investors were home town boys, architects will sell their soul for a fee. Frank Lloyd Wright found the money attractive..............

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7qMwIRpyU
Thank you.
How about the other towers?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Yeah, Bartlesville can be thankful that Phillips Petroleum didn't locate in Tulsa, instead.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
How about the other towers?
no idea......but you know that oil patch trash........always trying to one up their golfing buddies..........

Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 PM

191 posts, read 213,388 times
Default Bartlesville

Is the former home to at least three fairly large corporations; Phillips Petroleum, REDA Pump company, and Indian Territory Illuminating Oil Company (ITIO) which later morphed into Cities Service Oil Company.

The Price Tower was built for yet another company, HC Price, a pipeline and chemical company headquartered in Bartlesville.

Most of the other "big buildings in town were built by or for Phillips Petroleum.'

Bartlesville is also the location of one of several "first oil wells in Oklahoma". They can show you the well, Nellie Johnstone Number One, and it was meant to be an oil well (some of the other contenders were drilled for salt or fresh water), so it is probably the "best" candidate.

Bartlesville hosts an annual classical music festival, OK Mozart, which attracts people world wide.]

Fir a town of about 35,000 people Bartlesville consistently fights above its weight class.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post
Is the former home to at least three fairly large corporations; Phillips Petroleum, REDA Pump company, and Indian Territory Illuminating Oil Company (ITIO) which later morphed into Cities Service Oil Company.

The Price Tower was built for yet another company, HC Price, a pipeline and chemical company headquartered in Bartlesville.

Most of the other "big buildings in town were built by or for Phillips Petroleum.'

Bartlesville is also the location of one of several "first oil wells in Oklahoma". They can show you the well, Nellie Johnstone Number One, and it was meant to be an oil well (some of the other contenders were drilled for salt or fresh water), so it is probably the "best" candidate.

Bartlesville hosts an annual classical music festival, OK Mozart, which attracts people world wide.]

Fir a town of about 35,000 people Bartlesville consistently fights above its weight class.
It should be considered one of the best Oklahoma towns to live in.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
I agree but what's the city trend, is it growing or stagnant or shrinking jobs wise? I honestly do not know

Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree but what's the city trend, is it growing or stagnant or shrinking jobs wise? I honestly do not know
It's been growing slowly from 35,750 in 2010 to 36,498 in 2014.

This article indicates they're hoping to get a big new shopping center: Bartlesville considering new retail development, sales taxes - Tulsa World: Employment

Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 PM

125 posts, read 212,882 times
StillwaterTownie (a great contributor btw) I must respectfully add some notes.

Having grown up there, and seeing it at it's most vibrant, it has changed. Live by the greasy black gold, die by the greasy black gold...after the merger and sending it's corporate HQ to Houston for a while, it suffered a lot. My folks have seen it all over 40 years.

It's still a great town, but it has a much more "rural" flavor than it did back then. I can say I believe it's on its way back, and the town was forced to finally start adding some nightlife and other businesses, and I'm glad for them. It's honestly on my short list of places to live, but I certainly didn't want to get laid off there with thousands of others as happened in the 80's when oil, um, "took a little dip". However, if you're insulated against that eventuality, it is a wonderful town. The older housing neighborhoods are amazingly pretty and very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: