U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 03:08 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,686,208 times

Advertisements

The visit to Oklahoma was historic in more than one way. The visit to El Reno was the first visit by a sitting U.S. President in history. If he really wanted to know a real prison he should have gone to Big Mac for an eye-opener. He was greeted across the state by supporters of the Southern Cross who claimed a historic connection. Not all agreed, but it seemed to be peaceful demonstration.

Oklahoma black man leads presidential protest by waving Confederate Flag | KFOR.com .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 03:25 PM

18,019 posts, read 14,340,547 times
If I had relatives who fought for the Confederacy, I wouldn't want to honor them by using the Confederate flag. There has got to be a better way to do that.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:46 PM

191 posts, read 169,280 times
McAlester is the State prison, while El Reno is Federal; probably one reason the President opted to go there.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:48 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If I had relatives who fought for the Confederacy, I wouldn't want to honor them by using the Confederate flag. There has got to be a better way to do that.
Yes. It's in the way we live our lives and treat others. As with many Okies, my distant relatives fought for the South. However, I feel no need to fly the Stars & Bars (and I come from a long line of bonafied Oklahoma Rednecks.)

I've been in eastern Oklahoma the last week for work and I've seen probably 25-30 Confederate Flags. That's easily double what I usually see driving around Oklahoma. All this talk about taking the Rebel Flag down has done nothing but incite the folks to fly it more and give a Redneck sign for all the people who are perceived to be against the South/Oklahoma/States Rights.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:12 PM

8,286 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yes. It's in the way we live our lives and treat others. As with many Okies, my distant relatives fought for the South. However, I feel no need to fly the Stars & Bars (and I come from a long line of bonafied Oklahoma Rednecks.)

I've been in eastern Oklahoma the last week for work and I've seen probably 25-30 Confederate Flags. That's easily double what I usually see driving around Oklahoma. All this talk about taking the Rebel Flag down has done nothing but incite the folks to fly it more and give a Redneck sign for all the people who are perceived to be against the South/Oklahoma/States Rights.
I'm just grateful that we didn't have to have something horrible happen to take the confederate flag down from our flag plaza some 16-17 years ago. There was some controversy but not a lot. I'm glad we've basically gotten past that.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:53 PM

18,019 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
In Stillwater, I've been disgusted by seeing someone flying the Sooner flag on a pole in their front yard before. Don't seem to recall anyone doing the same with the Confederate flag.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,203,048 times
If you are gonna proudly display a rebel spirit as demonstrated by a flag, how about choosing one that WON not LOST?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In Stillwater, I've been disgusted by seeing someone flying the Sooner flag on a pole in their front yard before. Don't seem to recall anyone doing the same with the Confederate flag.
I've seen some on the porches of some homes, but primarily on cars (mostly trucks) passing by.

And I totally disagree with your assessment of the Sooner Flag---that was clearly there for your growth. What we Sooners say when we see an Oklahoma State flag: "Well, at least it's not Longhorn orange."

Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM

I'm partial to these flags...

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...bUlhALdiP2M%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=choc...VS640m_ObTM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=choc...4WbUrWixDJM%3A

Old 07-20-2015, 08:31 PM

9,723 posts, read 12,826,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The visit to Oklahoma was historic in more than one way. The visit to El Reno was the first visit by a sitting U.S. President in history. If he really wanted to know a real prison he should have gone to Big Mac for an eye-opener. He was greeted across the state by supporters of the Southern Cross who claimed a historic connection. Not all agreed, but it seemed to be peaceful demonstration.

Oklahoma black man leads presidential protest by waving Confederate Flag | KFOR.com .
Just off the top of my head didn't the Former President Nixon visit the Port Of Tulsa when it was completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma