U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
226 posts, read 215,127 times
Reputation: 327

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
One of wife's HS teachers retired to Pauls Valley (no apostrophe, it's an odd reason) and she likes the convenience on OKC an hour away, the DFW area about 2 hours distant, and Ardmore nearby if she needs anything. It's pretty safe, but there have been some recent drug trafficking arrests in the area, with I-35 nearby. It's definitely small-town, but as others have mentioned, worth looking at.
Thanks, it does sound like the kind of place that might work for me. I hope to visit this location asap.

 
Old 07-31-2015, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
226 posts, read 215,127 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjak08 View Post
Be careful in a college town, renters can charge way more than what places are worth, simply because college students do not want to live off campus. At least that's the way it is here in Tahlequah, where I live. Many apartments and 1 bedroom homes rent for upwards of $800-1200/month and bigger places go for even way more. I mow for several renters in town and I asked about the high rent prices, they say because they can; college students will pay whatever they want just to not live on campus.
Yeah, definitely need to consider the rent amount and how being a college town would affect the rent rates. Thanks for the info.
 
Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
226 posts, read 215,127 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The first and last sentence in your post conflict. Either college students want to live off campus or they don't.

In Stillwater, it's not difficult to find a small two bedroom rent house for around $800 a month, maybe less, even in the prime old neighborhoods, prime because they are located conveniently close to OSU and the hospital. Lower rent and lower home sale prices should be easier to find the further you get away from campus and hospital. Less interest on the part of developers over the years to build housing in Tahlequah probably in part explains why housing can be priced higher.

OSU has been responding to students not wanting to live in old fashioned dormitory towers any more by building modern apartment complexes. In response to that, developers have been building mid rise apartment complexes near campus with covered parking for every floor, a nice feature OSU doesn't seem to offer.
Thanks, its a big help to have some actual dollar estimates for housing I appreciate the insight.
 
Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
Right now I live in Kansas City Missouri and I very much NEED TO MOVE from here - the crime rate in KC is unacceptable and getting worse. I am retired and live alone - my house has been invaded in broad daylight by 3 young hoodlums who have no understanding of the difference between "mine" and "yours" apparently. Due to the housing market collapse I now owe twice what my home would sell for - I used to have at least $20,000 equity. From what I've been hearing a lot of homes have been regaining value but NOT MINE - its still in the tank. Too many vacant houses, too many rentals, no codes enforcement, trash and weeds. There are some homes people take care of (including mine) but too many are in some state of neglect. I have been searching for an affordable smaller town or city that is hopefully on the quiet side. I'm probably going to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure so I won't have anything to start over and will be renting. I could spend more time than I already have alternately depressed and angry because it need never have happened but the government knew it was coming. The few officials who were vocal about the coming collapse were either bribed or threatened.

Anyway according to what I've found Paul's Valley has some very reasonable/affordable rentals and I'm wondering why rentals can be had for significantly less than elsewhere. Is there something about the town I need to know? I'd hate to move to somewhere only to find out its the next Love Canal or something.

Anybody have insight?
PV would be okay, I think, if you are someone who wants to keep to herself.

My experience with that town (been there probably 25x or more) is it's a bit clannish. However, if your desire is just to have a quiet and safe place to live then it would be a good fit. You can always get some pretty good food at Punkins and the Mexican place (Mexico Re'al?) is pretty good too. It's close enough to Norman (OKC metro) for some decent shopping and different restaurants.

If you're looking to be really involved in the PV community then I would try to get to know someone to get you plugged in. I wouldn't try attending a meeting/event without a friend/acquaintance who could introduce you to others.

Best of luck and welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma!

Moderator cut: Deleted the video which was off topic to this thread.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-06-2015 at 11:11 AM..
 
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5448
Or try consulting the list of Oklahoma towns rated in order of how bad they are to live in. Of the 85 towns rated, Purcell is in the middle of the pack, rated no. 47. A major criteria for judging is the town's crime rate. The crime rate is very low in most of Oklahoma metro suburbs, so no surprise they would be rated among the least worse. These Are The 10 Worst Places To Live In Oklahoma - RoadSnacks No surprise that Idabel is high among the very worst.
 
Old 08-01-2015, 03:00 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,723 posts, read 12,823,740 times
Reputation: 3820
Default Feel Free To Make That Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
Right now I live in Kansas City Missouri and I very much NEED TO MOVE from here - the crime rate in KC is unacceptable and getting worse. I am retired and live alone - my house has been invaded in broad daylight by 3 young hoodlums who have no understanding of the difference between "mine" and "yours" apparently. Due to the housing market collapse I now owe twice what my home would sell for - I used to have at least $20,000 equity. From what I've been hearing a lot of homes have been regaining value but NOT MINE - its still in the tank. Too many vacant houses, too many rentals, no codes enforcement, trash and weeds. There are some homes people take care of (including mine) but too many are in some state of neglect. I have been searching for an affordable smaller town or city that is hopefully on the quiet side. I'm probably going to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure so I won't have anything to start over and will be renting. I could spend more time than I already have alternately depressed and angry because it need never have happened but the government knew it was coming. The few officials who were vocal about the coming collapse were either bribed or threatened.

Anyway according to what I've found Paul's Valley has some very reasonable/affordable rentals and I'm wondering why rentals can be had for significantly less than elsewhere. Is there something about the town I need to know? I'd hate to move to somewhere only to find out its the next Love Canal or something.

Anybody have insight?

No where in Oklahoma is like K.C. or St. Louis Missouri they are some of America most dangerous cities. I believe that St. Louis is only second to Detroit Michigan , so it doesn't get much worst than St. Louis Missouri. Pauls Valley is a town that I could have visited way back in high school for a track meet but didn't so my actual knowledge of the town is zero.

I'm now interested in Pauls Valley Oklahoma just as you are , so why don't you take a 3 day weekend and drive down to Pauls Valley and tell us what you discovered , I will leave you several links below crammed full of information on Paul Valley.....City Data and Wikipedia Links....

City Data Forum Link..............
//www.city-data.com/city/Pauls-...-Oklahoma.html

Wikipedia Link................
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauls_Valley,_Oklahoma
 
Old 08-02-2015, 03:12 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
226 posts, read 215,127 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
PV would be okay, I think, if you are someone who wants to keep to herself.

My experience with that town (been there probably 25x or more) is it's a bit clannish. However, if your desire is just to have a quiet and safe place to live then it would be a good fit. You can always get some pretty good food at Punkins and the Mexican place (Mexico Re'al?) is pretty good too. It's close enough to Norman (OKC metro) for some decent shopping and different restaurants.

If you're looking to be really involved in the PV community then I would try to get to know someone to get you plugged in. I wouldn't try attending a meeting/event without a friend/acquaintance who could introduce you to others.

Best of luck and welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma!
Thank you very much for the information. Though I do want a quiet and peaceful life it is a concern to me that I be able to find some friends hopefully wherever I go as I will be leaving my only family behind and I think it will be a difficult but necessary thing to do. I worry about having no one around to call in the event of problems. I'm glad you shared your opinion about the acceptance of new people who might come there to live.

I'm tired of being afraid in my own home. I'm hurt and angry too I guess because a person shouldn't feel compelled to abandon everything they know just to feel safe.

The conditions and the atmosphere here continues to feel worse with time passing. The police that I used to have confidence in have been no help when I've had to call and in some ways they have made matters worse. I cannot figure out how it is that someone who cares for their property is dismissed as of no importance - I would think they would try harder to retain responsible people but maybe they've given up on the area too. The city is very unresponsive - codes enforcement is next to nothing. I invested financially and emotionally in this place I hate that its come to this.
 
Old 08-02-2015, 03:19 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
226 posts, read 215,127 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Or try consulting the list of Oklahoma towns rated in order of how bad they are to live in. Of the 85 towns rated, Purcell is in the middle of the pack, rated no. 47. A major criteria for judging is the town's crime rate. The crime rate is very low in most of Oklahoma metro suburbs, so no surprise they would be rated among the least worse. These Are The 10 Worst Places To Live In Oklahoma - RoadSnacks No surprise that Idabel is high among the very worst.
A helpful list - I've already ended up in the wrong place once and I would be depressed to find myself in a new "wrong place" - referring to your list of 10 worst places.

I'm confused. It lists Broken Bow as among the worst but then it also lists it as the best place.

It was interesting to see Miami on the list of bad places. Its where I was married when I was just a few days past my 18th birthday - here I am at loose ends at the other end of my life. I've been divorced for 30 years. I have two sons I care about very much though from the whole thing.
 
Old 08-02-2015, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
226 posts, read 215,127 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No where in Oklahoma is like K.C. or St. Louis Missouri they are some of America most dangerous cities. I believe that St. Louis is only second to Detroit Michigan , so it doesn't get much worst than St. Louis Missouri. Pauls Valley is a town that I could have visited way back in high school for a track meet but didn't so my actual knowledge of the town is zero.

I'm now interested in Pauls Valley Oklahoma just as you are , so why don't you take a 3 day weekend and drive down to Pauls Valley and tell us what you discovered , I will leave you several links below crammed full of information on Paul Valley.....City Data and Wikipedia Links....

City Data Forum Link..............
//www.city-data.com/city/Pauls-...-Oklahoma.html

Wikipedia Link................
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauls_Valley,_Oklahoma
You're very right about St. Louis - its worse than Kansas City but we aren't far behind.

I feel conflicted but I don't want to spend the rest of my years in such a place. I love my garden more than anyplace else in the world. I love the birds I feed who repay me with their visits and beautiful songs. I have my pets who have passed away in a little pet cemetary that I will have to leave anyway at some point but its like abandoning their memory - no one will know they were there. I hope their graves remain untouched.

I have neighborhood stray cats I feed who will struggle whether I'm here or not, but moreso if I'm gone.

I need to leave but the prospects for starting over at my age are probably not very good. I have my little dogs for company though.

This place is dragging me down into a state of depression that is unhealthy - another reason to leave. And at the current rate with the media seeming determined to publicize one-sided stories that divide us racially I think we are headed for hard times and this will be a very bad place to be. We were going in the right direction but the past few years all the progress is lost and things are worse than ever I remember.

The news media is irresponsible the way we no sooner get over one incident that ends in rioting when another comes to take its place. The nation is divided deliberately I think. They are not printing all the news only the ones that emphasize and reinforce division. They have choices to make about the emphasis on news and the ones they are making only stir more trouble. The government is broken and I do not believe in either "party" they are all corrupt. The government is too big and has its hands in everything. I never thought I would live to see this country the way it is. It's dangerous trying to discuss government - freedom of speech is something we no longer have - to criticize the government is to be called a racist or a hater. The current way of thinking is that the person in the White House can do no wrong so the only reason for criticism is racism which is part of the problem. People who pride themselves on being tolerant are only tolerant if you think the way they tell you to.

I dislike the news media very much and the government for stirring up this trouble while they hide in their safe and secure communities they have no concern for how their news affects those of us who are vulnerable. I had my first baby in April of 1968 and there was a curfew out the night he was born just after Martin Luther King was assassinated so that my husband was stopped by the police going home. I thought all that was behind us but trouble is brewing and here I am again facing more of the same. Kansas City is a time bomb waiting to explode, the people in the penthouses and lofts and gated communities above it all don't care.

I have to move before I get so depressed I won't be able to find the energy or motivation to do it. Already I think sometimes "what's the use" but there has to be a better place - leave it to me to be in the wrong place - wrong time. The wealthier parts of Kansas City are in denial about how it is here but there will come a point that denial will not suffice anymore.

Sorry to sound so gloomy but the truth is what it is. Everyone who's responded has been very helpful and I thank you all so very much for sharing what you have.

Last edited by AmericnGrl; 08-02-2015 at 03:45 AM..
 
Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Duncan, Oklahoma
2,622 posts, read 1,272,173 times
Reputation: 2069
Default Don't Confuse the Two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
A helpful list - I've already ended up in the wrong place once and I would be depressed to find myself in a new "wrong place" - referring to your list of 10 worst places.

I'm confused. It lists Broken Bow as among the worst but then it also lists it as the best place.

It was interesting to see Miami on the list of bad places. Its where I was married when I was just a few days past my 18th birthday - here I am at loose ends at the other end of my life. I've been divorced for 30 years. I have two sons I care about very much though from the whole thing.
I wonder if you are confusing Broken Bow with Broken Arrow. Broken Bow is in the southeastern part of the state. Broken Arrow is near Tulsa. They are two completely different areas.

I hope you find a good place in Oklahoma. I've lived here all my life, and though I sometimes think I'd like to try other places, my husband is very happy here (He's lived here all his life, too.), so I doubt we'll be moving anywhere ever. I'm okay with that since he's so happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top