Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:43 PM

226 posts, read 267,661 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in Kansas City Missouri and I very much NEED TO MOVE from here - the crime rate in KC is unacceptable and getting worse. I am retired and live alone - my house has been invaded in broad daylight by 3 young hoodlums who have no understanding of the difference between "mine" and "yours" apparently. Due to the housing market collapse I now owe twice what my home would sell for - I used to have at least $20,000 equity. From what I've been hearing a lot of homes have been regaining value but NOT MINE - its still in the tank. Too many vacant houses, too many rentals, no codes enforcement, trash and weeds. There are some homes people take care of (including mine) but too many are in some state of neglect. I have been searching for an affordable smaller town or city that is hopefully on the quiet side. I'm probably going to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure so I won't have anything to start over and will be renting. I could spend more time than I already have alternately depressed and angry because it need never have happened but the government knew it was coming. The few officials who were vocal about the coming collapse were either bribed or threatened.

Anyway according to what I've found Paul's Valley has some very reasonable/affordable rentals and I'm wondering why rentals can be had for significantly less than elsewhere. Is there something about the town I need to know? I'd hate to move to somewhere only to find out its the next Love Canal or something.

Anybody have insight?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Sorry to hear of your less than great circumstances. If a Oklahoma town has been stagnant or worse, meaning hardly anyone has been wanting to move there, then housing is going to be noticeably cheaper there, due to lack of demand. Pauls Valley is an example of one of those type towns. I don't know much good or bad about Pauls Valley, other than it doesn't seem to be reputed as one of those Oklahoma towns best avoided.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Take a look at Durant as well. It's a college town so a good rental stock. It has a strong economy and more to do than most towns it's side. It's an Oklahoma town with reasonable cost of living but is half as far from Dallas as OKC or Tulsa. So for the price of Oklahoma living you get both Oklahoma and Texas access.

Sorry about your situation in KC. Durante economy is very strong which solves many issues including falling home prices.

I don't know much about Paul's valley.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Paul's Valley is a nice enough place. It is close enough to Norman that you can shop in Norman and be back home in about 40 minutes.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:59 PM

Thanks all of you for your very helpful comments which I will definitely investigate - thanks for giving me some things to consider. I guess as long as Paul's Valley is not on a DON'T GO THERE LIST I'll keep it in mind and check out Durant too. Is there any difference in climate between Paul's Valley and Durant I wonder.? I don't do much shopping but its nice to know of the availability of Norman. A good grocery store is important to me the ones I have now are lacking.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
Thanks all of you for your very helpful comments which I will definitely investigate - thanks for giving me some things to consider. I guess as long as Paul's Valley is not on a DON'T GO THERE LIST I'll keep it in mind and check out Durant too. Is there any difference in climate between Paul's Valley and Durant I wonder.? I don't do much shopping but its nice to know of the availability of Norman. A good grocery store is important to me the ones I have now are lacking.
There's hardly any difference between the climate, other than Durant will get a little bit more rain and will be a little less likely to snow. Both places are highly unlikely to dip below zero during the winter.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:16 PM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
One of wife's HS teachers retired to Pauls Valley (no apostrophe, it's an odd reason) and she likes the convenience on OKC an hour away, the DFW area about 2 hours distant, and Ardmore nearby if she needs anything. It's pretty safe, but there have been some recent drug trafficking arrests in the area, with I-35 nearby. It's definitely small-town, but as others have mentioned, worth looking at.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,427 times
Be careful in a college town, renters can charge way more than what places are worth, simply because college students do not want to live off campus. At least that's the way it is here in Tahlequah, where I live. Many apartments and 1 bedroom homes rent for upwards of $800-1200/month and bigger places go for even way more. I mow for several renters in town and I asked about the high rent prices, they say because they can; college students will pay whatever they want just to not live on campus.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjak08 View Post
Be careful in a college town, renters can charge way more than what places are worth, simply because college students do not want to live off campus. At least that's the way it is here in Tahlequah, where I live. Many apartments and 1 bedroom homes rent for upwards of $800-1200/month and bigger places go for even way more. I mow for several renters in town and I asked about the high rent prices, they say because they can; college students will pay whatever they want just to not live on campus.
The first and last sentence in your post conflict. Either college students want to live off campus or they don't.

In Stillwater, it's not difficult to find a small two bedroom rent house for around $800 a month, maybe less, even in the prime old neighborhoods, prime because they are located conveniently close to OSU and the hospital. Lower rent and lower home sale prices should be easier to find the further you get away from campus and hospital. Less interest on the part of developers over the years to build housing in Tahlequah probably in part explains why housing can be priced higher.

OSU has been responding to students not wanting to live in old fashioned dormitory towers any more by building modern apartment complexes. In response to that, developers have been building mid rise apartment complexes near campus with covered parking for every floor, a nice feature OSU doesn't seem to offer.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
There's hardly any difference between the climate, other than Durant will get a little bit more rain and will be a little less likely to snow. Both places are highly unlikely to dip below zero during the winter.
Thanks for the weather info which is a definite consideration for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma