U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,998 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have to admit, Lawton, Oklahoma has definitely improved! Born and raised here, I can honestly say that it really has come along way over the past few years. There are so many great restaurants to choose from and the shopping in town has improved immensely. I no longer feel the need to travel to Oklahoma City or Wichita Falls to fulfill my shopping needs. Also, there are so many great things to do and see here. Listed as one of the Ten Most Beautiful Places in Oklahoma, the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is without doubt, a place you must visit.

As for the crime rate, I would have to say that it has also improved considerably in the last few years. However, as with any city, there are those certain parts of town you want to stay away from, but altogether I would have to say I do feel like Lawton, Oklahoma is a safe place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
18,132 posts, read 8,151,880 times
Reputation: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer B View Post
I have to admit, Lawton, Oklahoma has definitely improved! Born and raised here, I can honestly say that it really has come along way over the past few years. There are so many great restaurants to choose from and the shopping in town has improved immensely. I no longer feel the need to travel to Oklahoma City or Wichita Falls to fulfill my shopping needs. Also, there are so many great things to do and see here. Listed as one of the Ten Most Beautiful Places in Oklahoma, the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is without doubt, a place you must visit.

As for the crime rate, I would have to say that it has also improved considerably in the last few years. However, as with any city, there are those certain parts of town you want to stay away from, but altogether I would have to say I do feel like Lawton, Oklahoma is a safe place to live.
Agreed. It's getting better. Still has a way to go but much improved, especially when I hear from "old-timers".

I'm privileged that I get to work right next to the Refuge, spotted two bull elk today. And Mount Scott is a must0do for any out-of-town visitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 01:09 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,998 times
Reputation: 10
That would be so nice to get to work next to the Refuge. I absolutely love it out there. It's so beautiful and peaceful. If any one is looking for something to do in Lawton, I would strongly suggest checking it out. So many places to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,746 times
Reputation: 10
This was very nice to read, considering a lot of the other older threads didn't have many good things to say about Lawton. My bf is working in Altus, and we're considering relocating from Springfield, Mo. Can you tell me more about Lawton. I have a daughter that is 18 and an 11 year old son. So schools and safe neighborhood is a must. Anything helpful would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,040 posts, read 14,346,167 times
Reputation: 5452
Who would want to drive from Lawton to Altus and back everyday for a total of two hours? You only have the scenery from the rocky hills in the distance and mesquite trees growing along side of the road to hopefully make it less boring. Besides that, there is more crime in Lawton than in Altus. There were more people in Lawton murdered in 2013 alone than the number murdered in Altus from 2001 to 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 10:21 AM
 
4 posts, read 8,998 times
Reputation: 10
I love Lawton!! Any of the middle schools are great in the area. I personally went to Tomlinson Middle School and Lawton High School so I would have to recommend those. There are many safe neighborhoods in Lawton but there are definitely ones to stay away from. 67th and Gore and Cache Rd are nice neighborhoods. Homestead, Waterford, and Turtle Creek additions are nice as well. There are too many to list here. I don't have kids (yet) but I have always said that this would be a great place to raise a family. I have never felt unsafe here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 AM
 
Location: USA
593 posts, read 960,354 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Who would want to drive from Lawton to Altus and back everyday for total of two hours? You only have the scenery from the rocky hills in the distance and mesquite trees growing along side of the road to hopefully make it less boring. Besides that, there is more crime in Lawton than in Altus. There were more people in Lawton murdered in 2013 alone than the number murdered in Altus from 2001 to 2013.
Not to argue but, lots of people with career/jobs.

I spent 4 years at Altus, working at Altus AFB (1996-2000) where I met and worked with fellow Government employees as well as military members that did just that, drove everyday those 2 hours total from Lawton to Altus.
I also knew people that worked at Ft. Sill and lived at Altus due to their career/jobs. Heck, I also knew some aircraft mechanics that would carpool from Vernon, Tx (a 30 to 40 mile drive) and Wichita Falls to Altus (a 85-90 miles drive or so) every workday.

OP:
Have they built a new Mall yet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
 
4 posts, read 8,998 times
Reputation: 10
Actually, did you know that Lawton was just ranked #15 on the Best Towns to live in Oklahoma, while Altus was ranked #24? Here's the article: (https://local.niche.com/rankings/tow...ns/s/oklahoma/). I agree, taking US 62 from Altus to Lawton is a little lacking in views, but might I suggest instead taking a small detour north from US 62 to OK 54, then turning right on OK 49/Scenic Hwy? If you continue to follow the Scenic Hwy and then stay straight onto OK-115/8th St, it will merge back onto US 62 - only adding a few minutes to your drive time - but the views are worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 AM
 
Location: USA
593 posts, read 960,354 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer B View Post
Actually, did you know that Lawton was just ranked #15 on the Best Towns to live in Oklahoma, while Altus was ranked #24? Here's the article: (https://local.niche.com/rankings/tow...ns/s/oklahoma/). I agree, taking US 62 from Altus to Lawton is a little lacking in views, but might I suggest instead taking a small detour north from US 62 to OK 54, then turning right on OK 49/Scenic Hwy? If you continue to follow the Scenic Hwy and then stay straight onto OK-115/8th St, it will merge back onto US 62 - only adding a few minutes to your drive time - but the views are worth it!
Agreed!

As a newcomer to Altus back then, a coworker and his family (all borned and raised at Altus, America) took a couple of us to the world famous Meersburger place by the same route.
As we drove by he had to slow down to let the buffaloes go across the road. Absolutely awesome!!, never in my life had I seen such a beautiful specie.
After the meal he took us to the scenic plateau/mesa/view atop the Wichita mountain (is that right?), where one can feast the eyes looking towards Texas and as far as the eyes can see.
I will never forget that episode

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,040 posts, read 14,346,167 times
Reputation: 5452
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Not to argue but, lots of people with career/jobs.

I spent 4 years at Altus, working at Altus AFB (1996-2000) where I met and worked with fellow Government employees as well as military members that did just that, drove everyday those 2 hours total from Lawton to Altus.
I also knew people that worked at Ft. Sill and lived at Altus due to their career/jobs. Heck, I also knew some aircraft mechanics that would carpool from Vernon, Tx (a 30 to 40 mile drive) and Wichita Falls to Altus (a 85-90 miles drive or so) every workday.

OP:
Have they built a new Mall yet?

For my entire working life I always lived in the same town I worked in, so can't relate to this idea you gotta spend gas and time on the road for up to 2 or so hours a day

Anyway, I would assume, by far, the biggest reason why people are so strongly opposed to living in Altus, is due to the fact it offers considerably less in shopping and restaurants than the town they are currently living in, or want to live in, such as Lawton. But then it would be cheaper to live in Altus and drive to Lawton once or twice a week for better shopping, eats and other bigger city needs and delights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top