Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,509 times

Advertisements

My Bf took a job in Altus, he will be there for awhile. I'm considering moving also. I'm from Springfield, mo. Was considering the OKC area or Lawton area, however I've read only horrible things about both places. Springfield has really went down hill, between the crime and drugs...its not the best or safest by far to live. A little about us, We're in our late 30s and have one child in school, I'm wanting to go back to school eventually. The night life isn't a cincern, were looking for a safe, and decently priced area to live and lots to do for families and kids. Can anyone help me...I've googled all I can. Would really love feedback from real people...I'm looking for the good, the bad and inbetween...thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle197979 View Post
My Bf took a job in Altus, he will be there for awhile. I'm considering moving also. I'm from Springfield, mo. Was considering the OKC area or Lawton area, however I've read only horrible things about both places. Springfield has really went down hill, between the crime and drugs...its not the best or safest by far to live. A little about us, We're in our late 30s and have one child in school, I'm wanting to go back to school eventually. The night life isn't a cincern, were looking for a safe, and decently priced area to live and lots to do for families and kids. Can anyone help me...I've googled all I can. Would really love feedback from real people...I'm looking for the good, the bad and inbetween...thanks for your help in advance!
Duncan is not too far from Altus and is a pretty nice town. Norman would be ideal, but that would be a pretty long commute for him.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
I've been to Altus before. It's a fairly nice town. But the economy there has been slow for a long time and has been slowly losing people. So it shouldn't be too hard to find a place to live there.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Duncan is not too far from Altus and is a pretty nice town.
Huh? Come back. I certainly wouldn't refer to Duncan as a "pretty nice town" after that Australian exchange student got shot dead while jogging in Duncan. It gave Oklahoma an international black eye. Also drugs are a big problem in Duncan.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Huh? Come back. I certainly wouldn't refer to Duncan as a "pretty nice town" after that Australian exchange student got shot dead while jogging in Duncan. It gave Oklahoma an international black eye. Also drugs are a big problem in Duncan.
Just my opinion. Crime happens everywhere.

My general feeling is that Duncan, due to the oil industry presence, has more going for it than Altus. And I have nothing against Altus. My wife has kin there and I've been there several times. Duncan, just from appearances, seems a bit nicer. They're probably pretty comparable.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:14 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Live in Cache, Oklahoma. It's a nice suburb of Lawton with a good school and isn't that far from Altus and is a straight shot over there. I don't think Altus isn't too bad of a town but Cache is going to be the safest, the best schools and you can access Lawton and Wichita Falls for shopping needs.

Duncan is way too far away from Altus to consider IMO.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,509 times
Thank you all. Crime is pretty bad here in springfield, there's a murder a week anymore, meth ans heroine has taken over and the over all economic growth is slow here as well. It used to be a family oriented town, but I wouldn't tell anyone to move here anymore. I'll look into Cache... my bf builds power lines so their job is constantly moving. So a commute is always going to be a way of life for us. I want to find a decent family oriented place to live, I would like to go back to school as well and finish my degree so that's also something to consider as well.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:19 AM

24,284 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Live in Cache, Oklahoma. It's a nice suburb of Lawton with a good school and isn't that far from Altus and is a straight shot over there. I don't think Altus isn't too bad of a town but Cache is going to be the safest, the best schools and you can access Lawton and Wichita Falls for shopping needs.

Duncan is way too far away from Altus to consider IMO.
I'll definitely second that one... and if you're interested in finishing a degree there is Cameron University in Lawton.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Quote:
Crime is pretty bad here in springfield, there's a murder a week anymore, meth and heroine has taken over, and the over all economic growth is slow here as well.
We moved to Springfield in 1982. Two years later we moved to Grand Lake in NEOK and never looked back.

We have two unique states. Oklahoma is one. OK is also home to the largest number of federally recognized Indian tribes in America. There are many powwow in OK; it is a great place to learn. The natives at powwow do not wear costumes; it is called regalia. It's okay to ask what their tribe is. It took a long time to learn the rest of the rules; it is expected if you care.

At the end of Grand Lake is he longest multiple arch dam in the world. It has 52 gates. You and your son can tour the underside of he dam. It's neat. The world's largest antique museum is a town called Harbor Village that was built on the shore of Grand Lake. Antique tools, clothes, dolls, etc.. is found here. Lendonwood Garden is a botanical destination garden with big surprises. Cruise Grand Lake on the Cherokee Queen I or II. Grand Lake is not far from Pea Ridge National Civil War Battlefield. It is also not too far from Hot Springs where the mountain cries. You will pass through 3 mountain ranges to reach it. One other thing War Eagle Mill at War Eagle. It is located in the bed of the Ozark Mountains beneath Eureka Springs. It grinds grain most days on a 200 year old stone. It is quite the thing to watch.

I said these things because you have a child. Interstate I-412 will take you into Ark and hook up with I-71. North takes you to Pea Ridge, Eureka springs and War Eagle. South will take you to Fayetteville and on to Hot Springs.

Ok is okay!!! OK has some awesome scenery, and it has some waterfalls!

Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 AM

81 posts, read 293,435 times
Altus is not that bad of a place to live. Everyone town has their bad parts that you don't want to live in.
Contact the police department there and they can give you an idea of those areas to stay away from. Housing prices are not high in Altus, but because of the Air Force Base there rent can get high. New housing and apartments are going in to the north side of the town, which might be where you want to look at.
Altus school system is good.
Jobs in Altus are not that hard to find but then again it all depends on what type of job you are looking for. There is a small college on the north side of the city, I think South Western State is the name of it. If that doesn't work, then an hour drive to Lawton you can attended Cameron University, a NCAA Division II school.

Cache is a small city that has a great school system. It is about 45 minutes from Altus. Most people that live in Cache work in Lawton which is about 10 minutes away.

There is plenty to do in our little corner of Oklahoma. Lakes that have been recently filled up to the top are ready for fishing and swimming. Just north of Altus is Quartz Mountain and Lake Luggart. Lawton has two lakes, Lawtonka and Ellsworth. Just north of Cache is the Wichita Wildlife Area. Huge Federal land that Buffalo, Longhorn Steer, Parrie Dogs, Elk and other wild animals roam free for everyone to take pictures of and enjoy.

Lawton does have its bad areas to live in, but if his job is in Altus that is a long commute, about an hour, every day back and forth to work. OKC is even farther away since there is no direct road to Altus from there.

My thought would be that Duncan would really be too far to drive back and forth to Altus. Almost a 2 hour drive.

You are smart to start doing your research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma