Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,522 times

Advertisements

I'm moving for a job in Pryor, OK and I wanted to know, what are some of the good surrounding cities and the ones to stay away from. I'm 25 and currently live in northeast Wisconsin. I'm not looking for a party town or anything crazy, just a decent place to live while I work. I was suggested Owasso, Collinsville, Catoosa, Claremore, Chelsea, Vinita, Inola, Wagoner, and Chouteau. Unfortunately I know nothing about Oklahoma and I'm looking for a crash course on what to expect and where I should go. Can anyone help?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
Don't know what your preferences are, hard to say which of those you might like. Vinita and Chelsea are pretty isolated. Vinita is near high-end Grand Lake which might be fun.

The landscape around Pryor is actually very pretty. I would stick with that.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstand25 View Post
I'm moving for a job in Pryor, OK and I wanted to know, what are some of the good surrounding cities and the ones to stay away from. I'm 25 and currently live in northeast Wisconsin. I'm not looking for a party town or anything crazy, just a decent place to live while I work. I was suggested Owasso, Collinsville, Catoosa, Claremore, Chelsea, Vinita, Inola, Wagoner, and Chouteau. Unfortunately I know nothing about Oklahoma and I'm looking for a crash course on what to expect and where I should go. Can anyone help?
There's always Pryor, unless you wanted a bigger and faster growing town, like Owasso, while being close to Tulsa.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Since your job is in Pryor, why not live in Pryor? It's a small town, but a far cry from a wide place in the road at 10,000 population.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,522 times
@teakboat I don't have many references as for a place to live. I'm planning on moving to a job opportunity in Pryor. My goal is to put my head down and work Monday through Saturday then fish on Sunday. Other then that I don't need much to live. Being from Wisconsin I'll be ok with a small town of a small city. I'm looking for a safe place where I can hunker down, work, and establish myself. I'll be in OK for years to come so I figure I can find a long term place after I've settled.

@stllwaterTownie and @Rubi3 I didn't know Pryor was a smaller city/town. Is it a safer place to live? What side of Pryor should I stay away from? I'm mostly interested in a safe semi-cheap place to live. I don't want to worry about being in a bad neighborhood.

I'm looking to find a safe kinda cheap place to live for a couple months. Then when I'm working I can ask coworkers about places they are living and find a more permanent place to live. So far it sounds like Pryor is a safe place? Is that accurate?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Someone who knows Pryor would know the safe areas and the areas to stay away from. I don't know anyone in Pryor or from there. It wouldn't take long at your work place to find out, though. I notice the official name of the town is Pryor Creek, although it goes by Pryor. I think whether a town is large or small, there will be safer places to live and places to avoid. Maybe someone who knows Pryor will see this thread. There will be motels and perhaps some with long term stay rates.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:23 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quickstand,

I have been all over this state and ironically Pryor is one of the few towns I have not been to. However, Pryor has one of the better reputations of towns it's size in the state. I don't think I've ever heard anybody diss Pryor.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:22 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
I've been fortunate to say that I've been to all 77 counties in Oklahoma. I've been to Pryor many times, but basically it was just passing thru. I have known a couple of friends who have lived there, but both of them moved on after awhile. It is your basic mid size town and overall it is safe. The chief mode of crime is burglaries and petty theft, but from what I've heard that's not an overbearing issue. Drug and alcohol use I suspect is an ongoing problem but again, nothing too out of the ordinary. The meth problem is an issue as is most anywhere in Oklahoma which still is one of the worst in the country unfortunately, despite measures to prevent those acquiring over the counter medications to make that dastardly drug.

Pryor does have some good qualities of note.. it is just under an hour to downtown Tulsa, which in my opinion is one of the finer cities in this country.. You are within about 30 minutes or so to Grand Lake which may really remind you of parts of Wisconsin. Fishing is great there and further south below I-40, you have the Ouachita Mountains which are beautiful anytime of the year. There are lots of other lakes close by to check out too, Lake Tenkiller is one particular that is beautiful, with bountiful amounts of fishing and boating. Oklahoma is a land of great geographical contrasts, with forests and lakes, contrary to many other's whom have never been here, thinking we're just full of windswept plains, tornadoes and rednecks. Oklahoma has some of the friendliest people in the country and I think if you get to know the Grand Lake area, there are many whom have retired from your part of the country. There are still four distinct seasons but the summers can get toasty, but not much worse then some of the hotter days I've felt spending a couple of summers around Waupaca, WI. many years ago.

You also may want to look into a couple of other towns that are within 40 minutes of Pryor but would have more to offer. That would include Claremore. Owasso is great as well, but thats a good 45 minute drive under normal driving conditions. At least you wouldn't be dealing with commuter traffic much though as Pryor is further away from the big city congestion if you chose that place.

Hopefully this helps some. All the best in your move. I'm sure you'll find much to appreciate in Oklahoma.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
Pryor Creek is an actual creek and an area. The name of the town is Pryor as far as I know. It seems like a nice town.

If you plan on fishing, you are definitely going to like that area. You are very close to Hudson lake, Fort Gibson Lake, Oologah Lake, Grand lake, Pumpback Lake, Grand River, Verdigris River, and several clean creeks (and some fairly murky ones, like Pryor Creek) but they are all good for fishing. A few more miles and dozens more lakes too.

Basically, everything draining from the west into the Grand River tends to be the turbid, prairie stream type of water, and everything coming from the east tends to be clear and cold, draining from the Ozark Mountains (foothills). The Grand River really is the western boundary of the Ozarks.

I really like the landscape around Pryor. There are some nice homes around hwy 20 between Pryor and Claremore. Also you might look nearby around Salina or Locust Grove, to be right next to the lakes.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
NE OK around Grand Lake and Grove will remind you of Wisconsin around Door County and Green Bay. Grand Lake has 66000 surface acres of water to boat, fish or sail. Grove has an awesome state park with full facilities for RV and primitive camping. You can launch from the park or from 100th Street ramp. If you sail there is a private sail club nearby. County real estate taxes are less than in the city, too. The COL is very reasonable. What I always liked about Grove is it not terribly political, and its a nice town with good medical facilities and doctors. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstand25 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma