U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:14 PM

874 posts, read 1,431,129 times

Advertisements

The liberal cities are much wealthier too:

From the ten most conservative and most liberal cities list, per capita income by Metro (2014) and metro income rank:
10. Denver-Aurora, Co $51,946 - 23
9. Tulsa, Ok $47,297 - 50
8. Omaha, NE $47,736 - 45
7. Los Angeles Anaheim, CA $48,425 - 41
6. Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington $46,989 - 52
5. Jacksonville, FL $43,149 -108
4. Colorado Springs, Co $41,250 - 151
3. Virginia Beach-Norfolk, VA $44,756 - 82
2. Oklahoma City, Ok $44,280 - 90
1. Phoenix - Mesa, AZ $38,745 - 199
Also note, for the two wealthiest metros on this list only a competent city is conservative, the overall Denver and Los Angeles metros are NOT conservative.

Most Liberal
10. Baltimore, MD $54,457 - 17
9. Buffalo, NY $44,301 - 89
8. New York, NY $$59,246 - 9
7. Detroit, MI $42,889 - 111
6. Minneapolis - St Paul, MN $51,183 - 28
5. Boson, MA $61,754 - 7
4. San Francisco - Oakland, CA $69,127 - 4
3. Seattle, WA $55,190 - 14
2. Washington, DC $61,507 - 8
1. San Francisco - Oakland, CA $69,127 - 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 12:56 PM

8,297 posts, read 6,898,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I am also neither conservative nor liberal which is one reason I like such posts as this one by Amercity. It helps offset the political posts in the Oklahoma forum which are nearly always liberal and snarky toward conservatives.

What would really be nice would be for all political barbs to be in the politics forum, but that's not going to happen.

So you like the veiled racism in his post? Who are the "liberals" in the big cities? Who are those "liberals" in the "blackbelt of the south, the "Mississippi delta"? How about the Rio Grand Valley?

Old 08-30-2015, 03:01 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,543,829 times
Why do you mention veiled racism to me? Go argue with someone else. I wrote ONLY about political comments, nothing more, nothing less. Talk about what YOU like, don't tell me what I like. Wtf, telling me I like veiled racism. That's something a lot of posters do... they talk about what other people like, not what they like. I thought you were more fair minded, but apparently I've been mistaken.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 AM

the political comments were plainly racist.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM

32,741 posts, read 18,192,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
the political comments were plainly racist.
... from someone (Amercity) who has probably never been to Oklahoma.

I have to side with Rubi on the big picture of politics. The extremist views from both sides are at first confusing, then they become bemusing. And sickening.

It would be nice if Amercity would put forth some psycho-social and socio-economic context and add a little bit of criminal justice and sociology, a dash of psychology, historical voting by certain races, and maybe a splash of nature/nurture to help explain human behavior instead of just parrot rants.

I read that in the past in the south the "dixiecrats" were the racists and the republicans freed the slaves. I was told as a child that republicans were for the rich.

Why do some people from the same family become cops and some become criminals. Human behavior is much more complex than whether a city/state votes liberal or conservative.

Why not just admit that we are all Americans and we would all benefit from using some critical thinking instead of swallowing the mass media driven divide and conquer rhetoric.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,543,829 times
Thanks, Redbird.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

I read that in the past in the south the "dixiecrats" were the racists and the republicans freed the slaves. I was told as a child that republicans were for the rich.
Certainly true, and starting in the 1960s with the Civil Rights Act under Kennedy and Johnson, the Dixiecrats started fleeing the Democratic Party for the Republican Party. A shift that was mostly completed on the national level with Reagan's big win in the south in 1980 and more recently completed in state level elections throughout the south.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:02 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,688,447 times
Quote:
Why not just admit that we would all benefit from using some critical thinking. . .
I grew up in a mixed family. Dad the Republican and mom the Democrat. I heard all the nasty politics I wanted for over 40 years. I am in the middle with you and Rubi. I do not like the racists or their snarky remarks.

Critical thinking is a problem in America. I just read an article on it from US News. The writer was a former English teacher who was hired to a journalist position not because of his 'critical thinking; but because he mentioned compound sentences.

He also said critical thinking is overrated because to think critically and to argue reasonably one needs the building blocks to do so. He said they are: rote, rote, rot; memorization, memorization, memorization; and test, test, test with some practical life experiences added for good measure.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:13 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,975,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Tulsa makes #9 and OKC #2.

(conservative as if you didn't know)

Forbes
OKC!

OKC!

OKC!

OK...........wait, this isn't a Thunder game?

Nevermind.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:22 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,975,450 times
Quote:
... from someone (Amercity) who has probably never been to Oklahoma.

I have to side with Rubi on the big picture of politics. The extremist views from both sides are at first confusing, then they become bemusing. And sickening.

It would be nice if Amercity would put forth some psycho-social and socio-economic context and add a little bit of criminal justice and sociology, a dash of psychology, historical voting by certain races, and maybe a splash of nature/nurture to help explain human behavior instead of just parrot rants.

Why do some people from the same family become cops and some become criminals. Human behavior is much more complex than whether a city/state votes liberal or conservative.

Why not just admit that we are all Americans and we would all benefit from using some critical thinking instead of swallowing the mass media driven divide and conquer rhetoric.

We were raised Dixicrats with a Yellow Dog Democrat for a father and a Choctaw mama who still won't hold a $20 bill because of ol' Blackheart Jackson's countenance.

We retained the social conservatism sans the racism with much more liberal economic policies. Yeh, neither party likes my kind! We're of the ilk if our politics burns your biscuits then just add sausage gravy and deal!

About 99.9% of the politicians out there, regardless of party, are crooked anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma