Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Good for Oklahoma. Go to any liberal state and you will see corrupt politicans, poor governance, high unemployment, tons of welfare junkies and poverty. Go to any liberal city and you will see high poverty, high crime and crazy liberal PC bs like calling all women and men "ze" to avoid gender discrimination. Or making it legal for a man to put on a wig and be legally considered a woman
It wouldn't be so bad, though, if the Republicans in Oklahoma were not religious right. Such Republicans pretty strongly believe God should be as much a part of government as He is in their churches. It explains why the state of Oklahoma ends up with such a ridiculous controversy as the Ten Commandments monument still at the State Capitol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Good for Oklahoma. Go to any liberal state and you will see corrupt politicans, poor governance, high unemployment, tons of welfare junkies and poverty. Go to any liberal city and you will see high poverty, high crime and crazy liberal PC bs like calling all women and men "ze" to avoid gender discrimination. Or making it legal for a man to put on a wig and be legally considered a woman
Yes cuz you totally see all that in Minnesota or New Hampshire or Colorado. sod off! Ever been to Mississippi or Louisiana? Hell, even parts of Texas. Ain't nothing in any liberal state that compares to the poorest of the deep south.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:01 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Ten Richest States (median household income), Eight blue states and blue DC, one purple and one red.
1 Maryland $70,004
2 Alaska $69,825
3 New Jersey $67,458
4 Connecticut $65,753
- District of Columbia $65,124
5 Massachusetts $64,859
6 New Hampshire $64,712
7 Virginia $62,881
8 Hawaii $62,814
9 Minnesota $61,814
10 California $60,287

Ten Poorest States (median household income, 2014), nine red states, one purple.
40 Idaho $43,341
41 Oklahoma $43,225
42 South Carolina $42,367
43 New Mexico $41,963
44 Louisiana $41,734
45 Tennessee $41,693
46 Alabama $41,415
47 Kentucky $41,141
48 Arkansas $38,758
49 West Virginia $38,482
50 Mississippi $36,919
Balance these figures out by cost of living (including taxes) and I'll bet the discrepancies wouldn't be so large.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM

125 posts, read 212,982 times
I don't usually post in any forum that smacks of politics, but I want to throw out an idea I don't hear mentioned much. Follow the money, folks. There is a reason why only two parties control the system: they LIKE it that way.

It takes a ridiculous amount of money to succeed in a campaign, and that money comes from large groups of people or small groups of the very wealthy. This is why politicians get their talking points on earthquakes from the oil and gas companies. It's why people who commit pretty ugly behaviors against their spouses or families can pretend to be the most religious of candidates. It's why very wealthy people in entertainment can hold fundraisers begging you to send YOUR hourly salary to a cause, while they are caught draining what little public water remains into their private gardens.

We are being used and pointed against each other. Demonizing the "other" is a tactic to get us to the polls, but to vote for only one of two choices. People in Oklahoma are told to FEAR the LIBERALS, when in reality there are very, very few of them here. Believe me, it's the same in Seattle for FEAR the CONSERVATIVES!

Why do we have Trump versus Sanders right now? That's the good news. People are getting tired of being played for suckers, and these two don't play by the usual script. Will one of them make it to the general election? Probably not, but that's not for me to say. The number of unaffiliated voters in the country is at an all-time high.

What action do I recommend? When you feel yourself demonizing someone with different beliefs, whatever they may be, in whatever forum, stop and try to understand. Maybe generosity towards the poor and conservatism don't have to be mutually exclusive, any more than not liking abortion and progressivism are necessary opposites (I admit I fit into these weird "moderate" categories). Maybe Oklahoma being one of the poorest yet conservative states is an opportunity for us to demonstrate that we can take care of the least of these as an example to the whole country, and that having values can make a place better to live in.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
The more and more Oklahomans give up voting, the easier it is for Christian extremists to win and run Oklahoma as they have been doing for the most part. That is scary. I think any elected official who tries to govern by disregarding the state constitution is an extremist.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:05 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Why do you mention veiled racism to me? Go argue with someone else. I wrote ONLY about political comments, nothing more, nothing less. Talk about what YOU like, don't tell me what I like. Wtf, telling me I like veiled racism. That's something a lot of posters do... they talk about what other people like, not what they like. I thought you were more fair minded, but apparently I've been mistaken.
Well then, I'm guessing you didn't see any racism in his post.

And just so this thread has some perspective, this was a Forbes Magazine list.

Here are the cities listed:

Most Conservative:

1. Mesa, AZ
2. OKC, OK
3. Virginia Beach, VA
4, Colorado Springs, CO
5. Jacksonville, FL
6. Arlington, TX
7. Anahiem, CA
8. Omaha, NE
9. Tulsa, OK
10. Aurora, CO

Most Liberal:

1. San Francisco, CA
2. Washington, DC
3. Seattle, WA
4. Oakland, CA
5. Boston, MA
6. Minneapolis, MN
7. Detroit, MI
8. New York, NY
9. Buffalo, NY
10. Baltimore, MD

Last edited by eddie gein; 09-01-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
If I were to accuse someone of racism, I wouldn't be guessing. You told me what I was thinking and you were rude to do so. I didn't analyze the post and I don't look for racism. I had a high opinion of you and now I do not. End of discussion.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
If I were to accuse someone of racism, I wouldn't be guessing. You told me what I was thinking and you were rude to do so. I didn't analyze the post and I don't look for racism. I had a high opinion of you and now I do not. End of discussion.
Fair enough. We'll move on.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
Veiled racism? It's just an honest observation. Feel free to be offended by anything you want. It is not against the law yet to notice that the emperor has no clothes.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well then, I'm guessing you didn't see any racism in his post.

And just so this thread has some perspective, this was a Forbes Magazine list.

Here are the cities listed:

Most Conservative:

1. Mesa, AZ
2. OKC, OK
3. Virginia Beach, VA
4, Colorado Springs, CO
5. Jacksonville, FL
6. Arlington, TX
7. Anahiem, CA
8. Omaha, NE
9. Tulsa, OK
10. Aurora, CO

Most Liberal:

1. San Francisco, CA
2. Washington, DC
3. Seattle, WA
4. Oakland, CA
5. Boston, MA
6. Minneapolis, MN
7. Detroit, MI
8. New York, NY
9. Buffalo, NY
10. Baltimore, MD

Just for fun and giggles bold all of the cities that you been to.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma