U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,699 times

Advertisements

We have run into an issue where unfortunately we have to leave one of the best educational states for one of the worst. Yes I have done my research, tons of research and Oklahoma has a deplorable education. Currently my son who is in 9th grade is getting the best education. He has Asperger's and goes to a special high school with kids on the spectrum. I can not brag enough about how amazing his services and education are so this move is terrifying!
We have to move at the end of the school year to Oklahoma and my wife has said I can choose anywhere in the state. I am trying to find the place with the very best schools. I don't care where it's at as long as it's in Oklahoma.
I am looking for the very BEST school district in Oklahoma. Public or private (non religious) I don't care about cost, my son's education is my only concern.
I realize we have some family strikes entering the state I'm also concerned with so suggestions of area's would be nice too.

We are a same sex couple.
We are vegan, laid back, earthy, grow our own vegetables types.
Our son has Asperger's and has an IEP so I need a school that will follow it to a T.
We are completely NON Religious! I like to say Agnostic on the Atheism cusp.
And We DESPISE racism of any sort! This is huge! We do not want to live in any backwards racist areas! Our son has never known racism a day in his life and we want to keep it that way.

I do NOT want to live in a district that teaches religion (that includes morning prayer) and I know this is hard since Oklahoma is the bible belt. It would be nice to live in a great area with other earthy kind secular people in a diverse community with amazing schools.

Is this even possible in Oklahoma? Please help us figure this out!

Thanks!

Last edited by lamoore2; 10-25-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 12:30 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,656,291 times
Where in OK are you moving to?

Old 10-25-2015, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Where in OK are you moving to?
Anywhere! Literally I can go anywhere in Oklahoma. I'm trying to find the area with the very best schools in the state.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,553,999 times
Check out Heritage Hall, Oklahoma City. It's a private school.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:06 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,814,811 times
I have a step-son with Autism (severe when younger, now PD-NOS) and attends Edison here in Tulsa. We have been very happy with Edison. His teachers have been responsive and do their best to push him academically. I do like HS' that don't pay their foo'ball coach 6 figures but that's me (Edison and Booker T don't but Jenks and Edmond schools do). The public HS that consistently make Newsweek or US News rankings are below.

Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, Magnet HS, application only)
Jenks HS
Edmond Memorial
Edmond North
Norman HS

Others that make lists occasionally are Bixby, Edison Prep (Magnet HS w/community trac), Moore, Edmond Santa Fe.

Given that your son is entitled to Title I money, you shouldn't be overly concerned about funding. s he in special ed or LD classes? You mentioned an IEP which leads me to believe he is. I do not recommend any private school for special ed students as there is a ton of funding at the public schools for them. Some private or popular public school districts (Jenks, Union) have so many IEP students they wind up just babysitting them rather than teaching life skills or pushing academically. This isn't good for anyone.

I do think you should be concerned with teacher quality as it on a severe decline in Oklahoma. That is largely due to Western Oklahoma and OKC legislators who think that a low cost of living is an excuse to pay experienced teachers less than an new assistant supervisor at Chili's. Other bordering states pay more, or FAR more in the case of Texas, so we lose our good teachers.

As far as living in a place where you'll be socially accepted for being vegan agnostics, you'll be hard pressed to find that outside of Tulsa or OKC metros.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM

18,101 posts, read 14,387,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
As far as living in a place where you'll be socially accepted for being vegan agnostics, you'll be hard pressed to find that outside of Tulsa or OKC metros.
That would be true. People outside of those metros are more likely to feel threatened by people who are different. College towns can be more accepting since they are used to seeing international students.

Some counties in Oklahoma can't get with modern times. Around 24 counties still haven't made legal liquor by the drink. You wouldn't want to live there, unless your religion or personal values don't tolerate alcohol, although, such counties can open liquor stores and have bars that serve nothing stronger than 3.2% alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or