U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:47 AM

8,286 posts, read 6,896,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Laurie L View Post
Thanks Johnhw2, I appreciate the info...i think I will have to check out durant for sure! What about Lake Texoma as far as property goes? Is there ever any land for sale on the lake that you know of?
Laurie
Just FYI, John has a one track mind, and Durant is on that track.

You had mentioned researching towns around Lake Eufaula? What towns had you looked at. That would help.

Just to let you know though, if you want actual "lakeside property" then Grand Lake is your best bet. On most Oklahoma Lakes the actually shoreline property is limited. The restrictions on Grand Lake are less restrictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:31 AM

16 posts, read 24,992 times
Again John, thanks for your input..i sure have some thinking to do!

For Oklahomagirl, thank you for your input as well. I'm thinking Grand Lake is completely out, sure do want and NEED some peace and quiet!

For Eddie....thank you for your suggestions and ideas as well. I have never been to Oklahoma, so the areas i was looking into was towns right around Lake Eufala. I willl have to take a trip there.

I dont think that John has a 1 track mind either, i just think he really loves Durant!! Which is fine, i want to hear the good, the bad and the in between so that i can make a proper decision!

THANK YOU ALL!!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:39 AM

143 posts, read 137,713 times
If you have any other questions, let me know! I've lived here my whole life, and been to all parts of the state! By the way, my brother and dad both live in Durant, and they like it!

Old 11-19-2015, 11:44 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,087,713 times
I grew up in NE Oklahoma and have lived on Grand Lake. I used to take the kids down to Broken Bow for a trip every Spring. There is a weird time warp you go through when travelling to SE Oklahoma. You would want to visit before committing to a move there. Re Lake Eufala, McAlester is going to be the place you go shopping and is a nice place to live as well.
Good Luck!!!

Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 PM

18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
For an added plus, the weather is somewhat less harsh about venturing to extremes in the Durant area. It very seldom drops below zero during the winter. However, an ice storm causes more trouble than a typical snow storm in that area. Bad ice storms don't happen every winter. Also it isn't in the part of the state where 100s start up first during the season and last to leave. Probably a little less windy as well.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,321 times
I can't disagree with any of the other comments. But, you may also want to consider the Lake Tenkiller area (i.e., Paradise Hill) and Tahlequah in northeast Oklahoma. Very beautiful areas, (like the others).

This area sits on the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Tenkiller is a deep blue water lake. Paradise Hill is a small incorporated community that overlooks the lake. Nice homes there and quite a few retirees. There are other community in the area also, I just happened to have lived in Paradise Hill for a while.

Tahlequah is the capital of the Cherokee Nation and the main campus of Northeastern State University. I've worked and spent a lot of time in just about every part of the state over the years. If I were to move back to Oklahoma again this is where I would like to live (just my opinion). I'm in Venice, FL now...wow!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudeA View Post
I can't disagree with any of the other comments. But, you may also want to consider the Lake Tenkiller area (i.e., Paradise Hill) and Tahlequah in northeast Oklahoma. Very beautiful areas, (like the others).

This area sits on the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Tenkiller is a deep blue water lake. Paradise Hill is a small incorporated community that overlooks the lake. Nice homes there and quite a few retirees. There are other community in the area also, I just happened to have lived in Paradise Hill for a while.

Tahlequah is the capital of the Cherokee Nation and the main campus of Northeastern State University. I've worked and spent a lot of time in just about every part of the state over the years. If I were to move back to Oklahoma again this is where I would like to live (just my opinion). I'm in Venice, FL now...wow!
Tenkiller, other than Lake Murray, is my favorite Oklahoma Lake. Beautiful with pine trees and right there on the edge of the Ozarks. I get tired of seeing the boats with the Rebel flag on there, though.

(Nothin' against the Stars & Bars personally, I just know its offensive to some/many people so I wouldn't be one to fly it out and about.)

Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the info...i really appreciate it! Its all just sooooo confusing....now to try to figure it all out!! Thanks again!!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it!! Have alot of decisions to make!! Thanks again!!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:15 AM

874 posts, read 1,430,406 times
Lake Skiatook is very nice, very hilly and just 30 minutes from Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or