U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:23 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,204,981 times

Advertisements

I regularly shop Aldi's. It is a German company. Their quality is high, and a lot of stuff is German. I rarely buy canned goods, but canned soups, corned beef, Mayonnaise, coffee, crackers, bread, and, most importantly, chocolate (picked up a chocolate covered marzipan bar the other day for a quarter the price of the import stores).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:27 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,543,829 times
It's a lot of trouble for me to go to Walmart, but the fat free, no lactose milk (which is their own brand, I think) lures me whenever I need milk. I need to see what Aldi has in that category.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,812,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I shopped in Aldi in NC when we lived there. Just like any other supermarket you have to check the labels. Aldi has their own distribution, I believe in the Midwest, & all the canned goods are Aldi brand. I saved between $25-$30 on their brands each time I shopped there. Their Dairy & frozen food prices were the best around. Produce is hit or miss. I did not buy their meats so I can't comment on them.

The money that I saved shopping in Aldi, I was able to purchase our meats and fish at The Fresh Market.

I was told that Trader Joe's and Aldi are owned by the same family. TJ is higher end than Aldi.
Yes. The two brothers, now deceased, inherited the Aldi chain in Germany. They broke it into Aldi Nord (north) and Aldi Sud (south) over a disagreement on selling cigarettes. The Aldi name in the U.S. is used by Aldi Sud and is their direct link. Aldi Nord bought the Trader Joes chain in California and has grown it from there. Both brothers were rich recluses and not much is known about their personal life.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:10 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,634,866 times
Aldi is a lot more affordable than Walmart. Two months ago I purchased around 15 items at the Aldi at 81st and Olympia in Tulsa. I can't exactly remember what I bought, but it would have probably been butter, bread, yogurt, cereal bars... that kind of stuff. So when I got home, I started thinking, wow, that sure seems a lot less expensive than what I normally buy at Reasors. This Aldi is quite a haul from my house, but it is just off the freeway, so even though its not as close as other locations, it's really easer and quicker to get to.

So to make a long story a little shorter, I needed to find out if it is really worth the 12 mile round trip out there. So I took my receipt to a nearby Walmart Family Store. I took a pen and wrote the Walmart price down next to the Aldi price. When I got home a did the math, and on that purchase I saved 31% compared to Walmart. That really surprised the heck out of me!

I go down to Irving, TX about once a month. On my way home I stopped by Aldi and stocked up there instead of Tulsa. No tax on groceries in Texas, so that saves me 9% more.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:20 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,634,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It's a lot of trouble for me to go to Walmart, but the fat free, no lactose milk (which is their own brand, I think) lures me whenever I need milk. I need to see what Aldi has in that category.
That is another thing I like about Aldi, the store is small and you hardly ever have to park very far from the front door. I like the way the store is laid out, everyone is going the same direction, so the isles are not jammed up with people going different directions. Aldi has a huge barcode on their products, so when the clerk is checking out, they run at lighting speed compared to Walmart. The checkout lanes mover super fast. The cashier is putting your groceries in an empty cart and not bagging them, that also speeds up the process. Aldi has their prices marked in very large bold numbers, so there is no confusion.

I'm glad they are giving Walmart competition, how many times have you gone in Walmart and had to wait in long lines to get checked out? Most super stores must have at least 20 check out lines, but you will very rarely see more than 4 or 5 open. Their store are filthy, the shopping carts are tired and wore out, They move things around all the time. The stores are too large, it very hard to run in and get a few items and run out. Their parking lots are dirty and feel unsafe.

I'm glad to see an Aldi in Muskogee, my folks live in Checotah and are in Muskogee all the time.

Last edited by okie1962; 12-10-2015 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 12:41 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,688,447 times
I've been shpping Aldi since the 1960s. I can still buy my veggies for less than fifty cents per can. Fresh veggies and fat-free broth are always a good buy. I buy the one-pound, 85/15, chubs of hamburger for under three bucks. The regular tea bag is an awesome product and so is the green tea. I buy the dairy, snack, candy and cereals too. I do not buy bread unless it is on sale as Shnuck's is always 99 cents a loaf. All Mama Casita brand pasta
products are very good. So are the frozen juices. Aldi often has great buy on specialy products such as fresh avacado and fresh roma tomatoes this time of year. It also offers very decent but limited outerwear and cooking products.

But I still buy the Campbell Mushroom Soup and Tomato Soup, pure cane sugar, and familiar baking products from a grocery store like Krogers. Walmart does have good products and some surprising products, but for the most part I am not in love with the price when I have to drive 50 miles to the store.

I've been shopping at Trader Joe's for natural products since the early 1990s. If I had my dream come true I could buy TJ's laundry soap, dish and hand soaps from Aldi so I would not need to drive 300 miles to get it. When I was in OK. the nearest Trader Joe's was in St. Louis - about 600 miles round trip for an hour of heaven.

Bottom line: Employees are just as helpful; the generic brand is just as good or better, and the price is often lower at Aldi when compared to Walmart. Shopping at either store on the day SS check arrives is a long painful experience. End of month and evenings is much better and less hurried.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:01 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,651,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I'd be leery of off-brand foods. A can of green beans made in China could be bad news.
They are not off-brand foods. Aldi's is a German chain and many of their foods are German. In fact, in my opinion the quality of their stuff is much superior to that of items bought at Walmart and that includes their meats and produce.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:49 AM

18,033 posts, read 14,346,167 times
So what all are you supposed to know about the Aldi shopping experience without going in there and looking like an uninformed idiot from not already knowing? Is it true you have to put up a deposit for a shopping cart and get it back after you check out? Are you supposed to bring your sacks or boxes?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:23 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,975,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So what all are you supposed to know about the Aldi shopping experience without going in there and looking like an uninformed idiot from not already knowing? Is it true you have to put up a deposit for a shopping cart and get it back after you check out? Are you supposed to bring your sacks or boxes?
The deposit is just a quarter, which you'll get back when you put your cart/buggy away.

You can buy the sacks there; I think they're around 10 cents a piece.

My wife loves that place. She got hooked on the one in Ardmore.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:32 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,543,829 times
All I needed was milk and since was in the vicinity of Aldi, stopped there. A couple in a hurry gave me their cart and wouldn't even wait for me to give them a quarter. Their lactose free milk is 20 cents cheaper than Walmart, but they only have the whole milk type. I bought it anyway since I was there. The problem was the checkout aisles. Three were closed and the lines were LONG. There were several of us with only a couple of items and I'd already decided this was a deal breaker, then someone opened another register. It happened just in time. Stopped going to Kmart years ago because they keep so few registers open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma