U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 PM

13 posts, read 9,828 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Oklahoma in the spring. My son will be starting kindergarten this fall. He has no special needs or anything. We are still a bit undecided on where we will be going (OKC area or Tulsa area), but one of the main factors in our decision will be the quality of education. Which public schools are considered the best quality in the State of Oklahoma? I have done some preliminary research and schools in Edmond, Jenks, and Norman have come up, but this group has been really helpful with information regarding our move so far so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance everyone!

Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:59 AM

143 posts, read 137,821 times
I agree with Jenks, Edmond and Norman. They are all excellent schools, but very big. Sadly, Oklahoma Education just took another huge blow by way of a HUGE budget cut. Something like 47 million dollars! If there is anyway you can swing private school, I'd go that route.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM

241 posts, read 172,915 times
As far as I know, Edmond only has good education programs, nothing else very exceptional about that district.
The reason I know this is because I went to school in Edmond for several years, and was quite active in observing district politics/policies and participating in club activities. For instance, high school students could go to a vo-tech for free, and IEP students at all grade levels had access to vast resources in comparison to similar programs in other parts of the state.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM

874 posts, read 1,431,129 times
My son is a freshman at Jenks, my daughter graduated from Jenks in 2014 and was able to get into a top college based on a JPS education. Both went to Jenks since Kindergarten. Jenks schools are excellent in really all areas. Along with having the highest per capita income for any district in the state, it's also the state's sports powerhouse, especially in football, track and swimming. Jenks offers every AP course available and in some subjects like math goes well beyond what AP offers. They offer an insane number of courses, everything from Holocaust Studies to Ornithology 2 to Business Law 4! to Calculus 3 to Linear Algebra. The high school has faculties that border on the crazy with a pool and workout facilities that rival division one colleges and an on site planetarium. The school always leads the state in the number of National Merit Scholars. Many of the elementary teachers are "Jenks Lifers" that went to Jenks themselves all the way through high school and loved it so much they went to college and came back. The parental involvement is off the charts with parents donating tens of thousands of hours of time to the schools which really helps off-set the miserable funding from the state.

That's the good, the negative is the schools are huge. My kids went to West Elementary which today is actually three schools all clustered together. The main campus serves pre-K through 2nd with over 1,000 kids, the other two schools serve 3rd/4th and 5th/6th respectively with 750+ kids each. Kids friendships can be hard as they can be with almost entirely new kids each year. They try to mitigate this problem by trending kids with similar abilities together year by year. They don't admit to this, but it happens. The good news is until high school each grade really only interacts with itself, but some people still really struggle with the school sizes. The high school has almost 4,000 students 9th through 12th and feels like a small college campus with lots of different buildings. They do wall off the freshman by having them take most classes in their own building.

The other top program in the state you should consider is Tulsa Public School's magnet school program.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:53 PM

78 posts, read 95,198 times
+1 for Jenks if you are considering the Tulsa area. Tulsa Union, Broken Arrow or Owasso would all be good also.
-In the OKC area Moore, Norman or Edmond schools should all be pretty similar and on higher quality end. Mustang or Yukon would be good choices as well.
-Outside of OKC and Tulsa I would take a look at Stillwater or Bartlesville (BTown is close to Tulsa, but a little further out than other burbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or