U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,484 times

Advertisements

My wife and I went to view a house listed for rent the other day. The ad said available in a week or so and the lease term of 1 year.
The lady showed us the home, which was perfect for what we wanted. I told her I was military and a year would be the min lease we'd be able to commit to with a possibility of extending after that.
I then asked to confirm if the lease was for a year and she said the owner wanted someone else who can commit to a longer term to rent out the property.
Is this any form of discrimination?
She said he didn't want to keep renting out because he was tired of re changing the carpeting and painting. I thought that was what the deposit was for.
Anyway we were pretty bummed out because that is not what the rental ad specified at all. Had she mentioned this over the phone it would have saved us some time and disappointent from really liking this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:16 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,528,166 times
The prospective Landlord can pick and choose whom they wish to lease to so long as its not based on race, color, sex, family status, religion etc.

Wanting a longer term than you want is perfectly alright.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,812,674 times
The ect. DOES include veteran status.

Based on what you wrote, you have been discriminated against. You could file a complaint with OKC Housing Authority but that's if you really, really wanted the house. If you lost money on an application fee, they would make certain to it is refunded but I don't know what other remedies you would be afforded.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:38 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,528,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
The ect. DOES include veteran status.

Based on what you wrote, you have been discriminated against. You could file a complaint with OKC Housing Authority but that's if you really, really wanted the house. If you lost money on an application fee, they would make certain to it is refunded but I don't know what other remedies you would be afforded.
The landlord didn't say they wouldn't rent because the OP is a vet. The landlord said they wanted a longer term lease than the OP could.

The OP could sign whatever lease they wanted. The military doesn't dictate how long you can sign a lease for. They can break the lease by giving the Landlord a copy of PCS, Deployment order (more than 90 days) or Separation orders (so long as its honorable).

Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 AM

Actually, they did by inference. The agent told them at first that the landlord was offering a 1 year lease term. The public ad also stated a 1 year lease term with near immediate availability. Once the OP notified the agent they were in the military, the agent changed the deal and wanted a longer lease term.

This is discrimination based on the following.

1) The landlord/agent advertised a 1 year lease term and the landlord/agent confirmed this when showing the property.
2) The OP willfully disclosed their military status.
3) The landlord/agent THEN changed the desired terms for the rental and declined to rent to them.

The inference discrimination changes to "red-handed" discrimination if they then leased the property to another renter for the advertised 1 year lease term rather than the new terms.

It's a pretty clean case given they publicly advertised a 1 year term with near immediate availability. Changing the deal after meeting with the OP to a term the OP could not or would not meet is discriminatory. Again, I don't know what remedies the OP would be entitled to in this case as they do not appear to be financially harmed.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:04 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,674,156 times
It's legal. If they said no because you were in the Military it would get iffy but wanting a long term tenant isn't discrimination regardless of how long they lock you in with a lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Actually, they did by inference. The agent told them at first that the landlord was offering a 1 year lease term. The public ad also stated a 1 year lease term with near immediate availability. Once the OP notified the agent they were in the military, the agent changed the deal and wanted a longer lease term.
Where did you read any of that? Saying the lease term is 1yr means JUST THAT! That does NOT mean that the landlord didn't want a long term tenant, only that the lease was only a year. It's VERY common to lease people for a year and then go month to month for the duration of rental. There is nothing in the OP statement that says they "changed the deal ". Sounds like their preference for a long term tenant was left out, but that's very different than discrimination.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmonkey View Post

My wife and I went to view a house listed for rent the other day. The ad said available in a week or so and the lease term of 1 year.

The lady showed us the home, which was perfect for what we wanted. I told her I was military and a year would be the min lease we'd be able to commit to with a possibility of extending after that.

I then asked to confirm if the lease was for a year and she said the owner wanted someone else who can commit to a longer term to rent out the property.

Paragraph 3. The agent/landowner changed the deal upon learning Veteran status.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:07 PM

18,132 posts, read 8,151,880 times
OP: I assume you're heading to Tinker. If the person showing the place changed her mind after you indicated you were military, despite your saying you were interested in a term of one year with the option to extend, then she may have changed her mind because of a tenant getting PCS'ed before the term expires. I would notify the Housing Referral Office at Tinker as opposed to dealing with online suggestions; they will be able to determine if there was any discrimination, and advise any action, which may include them placing the lessor on a prohibited list. Remember, though, unless you were recording it, or have multiple reliable witnesses, it's regrettably your word against hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma