Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oh, and my mother just came back from Anniston, AL and she said that some people's accent was so thick that she could hardly understand them.

In my experience (living in North Florida) there was some notable difference between Oklahoma and the deep south. Oklahoma's "southerness" is pretty watered down compared to down there.
That's definitely true. Although most Okies (if they're from Oklahoma) generally have some derivative of Southern dialect. It's quite prominent in my family of origin. There are many many places in Oklahoma, like most of our rural areas, where that accent is very thick, almost fakey thick.

I've heard many say that Okies and Texans (and to a lesser extent Arkies) "twang" more than folks over in the Deep South. It tends to be more "nasally" I guess.

It's all Southern speech but there is no doubt that the accent is thicker and more drawn out in the Deep South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 PM

38 posts, read 128,258 times
I'm from southeast Oklahoma, born and raised, and my husband is from Mobile. We moved to Mobile and stayed for about 3 years. Coming from Oklahoma I didn't think there was any real difference except for the football rivalry being unlike anything I've ever experienced. Mardi Gras was huge and it seems that there were always parades for just about every holiday and/or event down there, and in our part of Oklahoma we have homecoming and Christmas parades. I loved our time down there and the transition, for me, was quite easy. Depending on which part of Oklahoma you choose really makes all the difference. I know south Alabama is more laid back as to where OKC and Tulsa seem to be on a faster track if that makes any sense. Southeast Oklahoma is more laid back and relaxed (And as some members will say, drug infested) but the farther north you go the more you'll find a mixture of midwest/southern type.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedgurl79 View Post
I'm from southeast Oklahoma, born and raised, and my husband is from Mobile. We moved to Mobile and stayed for about 3 years. Coming from Oklahoma I didn't think there was any real difference except for the football rivalry being unlike anything I've ever experienced. Mardi Gras was huge and it seems that there were always parades for just about every holiday and/or event down there, and in our part of Oklahoma we have homecoming and Christmas parades. I loved our time down there and the transition, for me, was quite easy. Depending on which part of Oklahoma you choose really makes all the difference. I know south Alabama is more laid back as to where OKC and Tulsa seem to be on a faster track if that makes any sense. Southeast Oklahoma is more laid back and relaxed (And as some members will say, drug infested) but the farther north you go the more you'll find a mixture of midwest/southern type.

Yeh, I'm with ya in the main. I don't think Oklahoma is that much different than Bama. Again, one is in the Deep South and one is in the Southwest/South-Central. Both are the South, just with some differences here and there.

And I'm with you on SE Oklahoma. That area is the most like Alabama, for sure. I will say I don't think one gets much, if any, Midwest feel in Oklahoma (certainly not in OK City) as I've been to the core of the Midwest like Indy, St. Louis, Chicago, Michigan, Ohio, etc. and Oklahoma feels nothing like those places/states.

I don't think one really experiences much Midwest culture until they get up to Kansas and beyond and points east.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
We took a detour through Texas The area around OK City seems flatter, definitely not as green and considerably more windy. A lot more dolled up pick ups, western boots and bibs. Folks are folks. Most have been very pleasant to deal with, traffic is not bad, car insurance is higher, it is a bit convoluted to get a driver's license, folks have time to say good morning. My only negative experience so far is medical care but it may just be a specific provider.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:22 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We took a detour through Texas The area around OK City seems flatter, definitely not as green and considerably more windy.
About half of Texas is greener or as green as OKC. The other half of Texas makes OKC look like it's tropical a tropical paradise.

As for "hills" the eastern half of Oklahoma county is hilly.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:17 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
I have a ranch in Eastern OK and it is very hilly. When I drive almost 3 hours west to where my daughters live it is flat.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM

62 posts, read 83,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomagirl74 View Post
Not that this is the topic of this thread, but the beer issue is incorrect. Its a myth, its really only a very insignificant difference in content.

Stronger Beer In Texas Is A Drinking Delusion - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |
3.2 ABW = 4% ABV

For a Budweiser that is 20% less alcohol per beer than a typical 5% ABV in other states. Also add in that a lot of beers are more than 5% ABV in other states and Oklahoma's beer is even more weaker than their counterparts. That's not a delusion, it's very hard to catch a buzz off Oklahoma near-beer. That article is flawed.

Source: Lived in Oklahoma for 2 years and never caught a buzz off the beer, only gained a lot of weight by drinking more.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinjj1 View Post
3.2 ABW = 4% ABV

For a Budweiser that is 20% less alcohol per beer than a typical 5% ABV in other states. Also add in that a lot of beers are more than 5% ABV in other states and Oklahoma's beer is even more weaker than their counterparts. That's not a delusion, it's very hard to catch a buzz off Oklahoma near-beer. That article is flawed.

Source: Lived in Oklahoma for 2 years and never caught a buzz off the beer, only gained a lot of weight by drinking more.
I've got some homemade stuff (NOT beer, LOL) my Uncle makes that will get ya sauced young fellar!

If the beer doesn't get it done for you, you could always turn to my good buddies Jim Beam and Jack D. I've found it's hard to catch fish while partaking of the whiskey, but unlike you, I'll take a cooler of Keystone (or if I'm wanting to take the good stuff, the Honey Brown) with me and about #6 I'm spinnin'.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-12-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 03:45 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinjj1 View Post
3.2 ABW = 4% ABV

a 12 oz Bud that has an ABV of 5% has 145 calories. a 4% ABV (3.2% ABW) beer has 105 calories. So you have 80% of the alcohol and only 72% of the calories.

So actually Oklahoma beer is stronger per calorie consumed.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
I can't stand drinking 3.2 beer unless it's something like Shiner, which is very close. Anything that is normally over 5% tastes too watery at 3.2%.

I've had a light buzz off 3.2 beer but its hard to get drunk off of it, which is kind of the point.

I really hope this weak beer stuff finally changes after the elections this fall. Like tattoos, blue laws like 3.2 beer and room-temperature real beer die hard in this state but they eventually go away, well after they become laughingstocks to the rest of the country. Moving to Oklahoma from other states brings with it a lot of inconveniences. Getting rid of near-beer will be a big one to scratch off the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma