Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:43 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Earth quakes aren't that bad. You feel the ground roll under your feet and once in awhile your house or car might get moved 10ft over.
Aw man, I still would have been a terrified man probably screaming "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh," lol, should an earthquake were to happen in Oklahoma or Texas. And I know portions of Fort Worth experienced a small earthquake last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Aw man, I still would have been a terrified man probably screaming "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh," lol, should an earthquake were to happen in Oklahoma or Texas. And I know portions of Fort Worth experienced a small earthquake last month.
You wouldn't have time to scream. They only last a matter of seconds. You feel a rumble or roll and that's it, it's over. unless of course it's a big one, which is very rarely encountered. 1 every 5 years, maybe.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Oh wow! Congrats for having your house paid for! That must be an exciting feeling! I am also glad that you enjoy living in Oklahoma.

I do not blame any Californian for wanting to move to Oklahoma for a better life, nor do I blame Texans for doing the same. Besides Texas plates, I have noticed a lot of Californian plates as well here in Okllahoma.

I never want to experience an earthquake in my lifetime and I hope I never will when I move to Texas in a few years (or while I am living in Oklahoma for now).
This house would be worth mayb 150k in California which is one reason so many Californians move away and here. The people from cali in my neighborhood are not anxious to make it like cali either. I suspect the ones who do leave.

Remember the Sylmar quake (7. something) where we were way way distant and it made the building sway. And Northridge, where my cousins house was a quarter mile from the epicenter. And others more local and frequent. I lived close to the believed epicenter of the big one when it happens.... of course most of socal will be flattned when it comes.

Little quakes just remind you that bigger ones are to come, then people forget. At least most other disastors have some sort of warning.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't have time to scream. They only last a matter of seconds. You feel a rumble or roll and that's it, it's over. unless of course it's a big one, which is very rarely encountered. 1 every 5 years, maybe.
Man, that must be crazy though. It would be the scariest matter of seconds in my life, lol. But I must say that the Californians are strong. These wildfires that keep breaking out, though. It is just shocking to me.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This house would be worth mayb 150k in California which is one reason so many Californians move away and here. The people from cali in my neighborhood are not anxious to make it like cali either. I suspect the ones who do leave.

Remember the Sylmar quake (7. something) where we were way way distant and it made the building sway. And Northridge, where my cousins house was a quarter mile from the epicenter. And others more local and frequent. I lived close to the believed epicenter of the big one when it happens.... of course most of socal will be flattned when it comes.

Little quakes just remind you that bigger ones are to come, then people forget. At least most other disastors have some sort of warning.
Oh boy! Well I am truly glad that you came to Oklahoma as soon as you could. The only natural disaster that we as Oklahomans only deal with are tornadoes and they seem rear to me. They can happen at any given moment but I am really not too worried at all. I have 21 months to serve here in Oklahoma and I will make my big break to Texas.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 PM

One of the last big one callapes a freeway in Oakland, Ca.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Dude, I could not imagine being in my car in rush hour traffic, coming home from work, and the freeway is shaking violently. I would do my very best to stay calm and pray to the Lord to please allow me to make it out alive and well.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 PM

Itwas the Cypress freeway. A 2 section freeway where the top freeway came down on to the bottom.

Before
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...e/case/eq1.jpg

After

YouTube - Cypress Freeway Collapse

Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,975,128 times
Where I live now, if we got a really bad earthquake that shook the earth for a few minutes, it would just fill some of the smaller potholes.......

Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Itwas the Cypress freeway. A 2 section freeway where the top freeway came down on to the bottom.

Before
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...e/case/eq1.jpg

After

YouTube - Cypress Freeway Collapse
It is definitely a reminder that the big one is coming soon, probably in our lifetime. So yes, regarding the thread title, Californians (and Texans) definitely have every right to relocate to Oklahoma for a simpler life. Oklahoma is a happenin' state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma