Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,913 times
Good post, Ruby Lee. I'll just qualify to say that not all of Oklahoma was in alliance with the Confederate side during the war.
Union and Confederate Indians in the Civil War

There was a lot of devastation from the war in Oklahoma.

Many poor people from the Confederate states moved to Oklahoma after the Civil War, and brought their culture with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:14 PM

68 posts, read 231,452 times
Thanks for that post Ruby Lee. Nice to learn more about the state I'll be spending the next four years in!

So I just wanted to give an update to everyone. First off Prom was good and I'm still alive. At the same time I'm glad it's over. It was a lot of work and it's one less thing to worry about before graduation. Also I am really excited to be in Oklahoma this Saturday! I can not wait to experience everything that I have been reading on this forum first hand. Not much else going on in this department. I officially have 7 actual days of school until I am done with high school! Really exciting news! But I guess I should sign off and get started on some homework. (For some reason teachers still deem it necessary to give seniors homework...)

Take care everyone!

Casey

Old 05-08-2008, 05:21 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,763,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
Thanks for that post Ruby Lee. Nice to learn more about the state I'll be spending the next four years in!

So I just wanted to give an update to everyone. First off Prom was good and I'm still alive. At the same time I'm glad it's over. It was a lot of work and it's one less thing to worry about before graduation. Also I am really excited to be in Oklahoma this Saturday! I can not wait to experience everything that I have been reading on this forum first hand. Not much else going on in this department. I officially have 7 actual days of school until I am done with high school! Really exciting news! But I guess I should sign off and get started on some homework. (For some reason teachers still deem it necessary to give seniors homework...)

Take care everyone!

Casey
Glad to hear from you Casey, and that you had a good time at the prom. You think having homework is tough? How about the seniors at Mustang High School? They graduate May 16th, and have to come back to school the following Monday for another week of finals. (They don't get their diplomas at graduation).

Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 PM

colleeng47: I don't understand. Why does Mustang High School do graduation that way?

Also after the recent drug related news at San Diego State University I am SO glad I chose OSU over SDSU now.

But for the real reason I came on here. So, as you all know by now I'm leaving for Oklahoma Saturday morning. Tomorrow I have school and directly following school I have my last day at Starbucks. (I didn't get fire. I had to quit sooner or later since I'd be going to OSU) So tonight is my only real time to pack. I will be the first to say that I am a horrible packer. I never know what to bring. Either I over pack and have a lot of stuff to lug around or I under pack and forget important things. So my question is: other then the regular (clothing, toiletries, computer, etc) is there anything that I should bring going to Oklahoma for 5 days?

Thanks and see you all soon! :-D

Casey

Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,806,178 times
Quote:
is there anything that I should bring going to Oklahoma for 5 days?
Rocks!

to carry in your pockets...

(Springtime wind joke. Keeps you from blowing away. )

Hope you have a great time.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 PM

Haha. I'll interpret that as "bring a light jacket or wind breaker since its windy". Thanks!

I am sure I will have a GREAT! time I am looking forward to it so much! It is hard to even go to school or do my last eight hour shift at Starbucks tomorrow!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,173,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Glad to hear from you Casey, and that you had a good time at the prom. You think having homework is tough? How about the seniors at Mustang High School? They graduate May 16th, and have to come back to school the following Monday for another week of finals. (They don't get their diplomas at graduation).
Almost every single high school in the metro is having graduation next Friday, Saturday or Sunday (16th-18th). Then they all go back for another week.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Nameless: That's so weird. Is there any certain reason they do it that way?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,350,560 times
RubyLee wrote:
Quote:
My husband is from the Midwest and I have been to many of the Midwestern states like Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota.
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that I'll have to disagree with you on one thing.

That is,,,,,,,Wisconsin and Illinois are North Eastern states. They are both North east of Ok, so if OK. isn't a Midwest state how can they be?

And I'm also afraid that the Bible Belt didn't cover all southern states. The ones you discribed as "Cotton States" Georgia, Texas, Mississippi,Alabama. Arkansas are in "The Cotton Belt" AKA "The Old South".

The Bible Belt

The Old South the darkest Is "The Cotten Belt"
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/US_map-Deep_South_States.png/300px-US_map-Deep_South_States.png (broken link)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 05-08-2008 at 09:55 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,173,063 times
Quote:
Nameless: That's so weird. Is there any certain reason they do it that way?
I really have no clue to be honest, it's just always been that way around here. I didn't know it was so weird until I heard that it was odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma