Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If you want to hear a true unmodified "Oklahoma accent",
Listen to Reba McEntire.
She has a genuine OK accent. and she's proud to admit it.

I beleive that she's from MCalaster Ok.
So apparently an unmodified Oklahoma accent sounds more like a Tennessee accent, she sounds so unbelievably country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
So apparently an unmodified Oklahoma accent sounds more like a Tennessee accent, she sounds so unbelievably country
Oklahoma's country, I think the tennessee accent sounds more slang or backwood, (not meant as an insult)

Old 06-04-2008, 05:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
Okiewolf, that was a totally awesome post. We are leaving on friday from socal and I have to tell you that people here think we are crazy for moving to OK. I hear lots of "Why would you move there?" and am tired of tired of it already. One of my sisters-in-law said we were moving to the dust bowl. Uggh. It really is just a perception that exists and perhaps I had it myself until I visited. But, it is interesting to see all the growth and positive media coming out of OKC and wonder if it will change perception.
Just tell them that the, unlike CA, the economy is rock solid and the real estate values are steadily increasing in OK. That ought to shut them right up

Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Just tell them that the, unlike CA, the economy is rock solid and the real estate values are steadily increasing in OK. That ought to shut them right up
No!!! No!!! Don't spread the word!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
No!!! No!!! Don't spread the word!

Oops

It always annoys me when people in the so called "civilized" states wonder why on earth Oklahoma is so attractive to many of us. I got the same reaction before I moved here from MA. My answer was always: "Because the culture is rich, the economy is strong, the landscape is diverse and gorgeous, life there is real and the people are fantastic".

That damn Yankee sense of superiority annoys the snot out of me. They have no idea how inferior their lifestyles really are and how much they are missing.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Oops
Bad Schousse... tsk.. tsk.. GP, give that lady one of your okie tourism speeches okay?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Oops

It always annoys me when people in the so called "civilized" states wonder why on earth Oklahoma is so attractive to many of us. I got the same reaction before I moved here from MA. My answer was always: "Because the culture is rich, the economy is strong, the landscape is diverse and gorgeous, life there is real and the people are fantastic".

That damn Yankee sense of superiority annoys the snot out of me. They have no idea how inferior their lifestyles really are and how much they are missing.
hummm,,,How can I say this with out sounding off topic?....http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/2.gif (broken link)

Go to Ca., the border states or sanctuary states and mention "Oklahoma"
and..even though some thinks OK's all flat land.. anyone with common sense will immediatly think.......freedom!.....enforced laws!...... no IA's, but will never know what OK, is actually like unless they move here.
Oklahoma don't make the headlines everyday like some states, so all her secrets are bundled up inside. OK's a "Hidden Gallery" state. You have to go online to the CD forum to get a glimps.

So we hold the key.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
So are the accents stronger in certain areas then in others? We didn't hear much of an accent at all when we were down there~maybe a couple of words pronounced a bit differently here and there, but that's about it. Reba seems to have a very strong accent.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:33 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
So are the accents stronger in certain areas then in others? We didn't hear much of an accent at all when we were down there~maybe a couple of words pronounced a bit differently here and there, but that's about it. Reba seems to have a very strong accent.
From my short time here and listening to the people, it isn't that twangy accent. There is an accent but it's more how words are pronounced. I noticed my step kids say the word School different from how I do. I notice it in the way the words are pronounced but it's not like an accent from Arkansas (whoops sorry husband of mine) or Texas

Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
I was born/raised in Oklahoma. My experience is that most people that do not "twang" (thank God we don't "drawl") are those from out of state. Most Okies I know definitely have an accent; but it is not the dialect of the Deep South. There are similarities, but Okies, Texans, and Arkies generally exhibit more of a modified dialect. You could call it Southwestern I guess.

Culture, pretty much southern, but not as much rebel flag waving goin' on. People are the nicest you'll find in the U.S. I've been to tried-in-true "Midwestern" states and OK does not really have much in common with them. I didn't know if this thread was already dead, but this will help you when you move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma