Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Good post, bawac. I was really surprised when the medical marijuana attempt netted such a large number of voters who wanted their 420. We are getting closer! I can always dream, right? Maybe it will be legal by the time I am ready for social security.
My guess is it will be legalized in surrounding states and decriminalized here. That will probably happen by 2030 more than likely. Like tattoos and 3.2 beer, Oklahoma will finally legalize marijuana in 2050 or 2060 when it is the last or one of the last to still ban it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
If you want to try to get medical marijuana legalized in Oklahoma this November, then you need to sign the petition to do that at one of these locations: https://oklahomansforhealth.com/map.

They have about 3/4 of the total of 66,000 signatures needed no later than Aug. 11. But want at least 86,000 to allow for bad signatures. If you want to make extra money, then they finally found some donors to cover that. Pay is $1 per pair of signatures. They are also running another petition for petition reform, so petitioners would get a year to get enough signatures, rather than the current 90 days. However, though, if medical marijuana doesn't get on the ballot, you won't get paid a thin dime.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-19-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 06:14 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Why Ardmore? I've been there, and have heard nothing but horror stories about crime up there.

Ardmore is over an hour away from where I live and probably close to two hours from Dallas or Fort Worth. Even in the very border like Gainesville it's still a lengthy commute.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:22 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's about demographics. Texas barely has a white majority. Like California, Latinos make up a large segment of the population. Texas Hispanics could turn the state blue if they abandoned the GOP in large enough numbers. The only reason Texas is still red is because Texas Hispanics are generally more conservative than California Hispanics or they aren't politically active.

Oklahoma on the other hand is a rural, Southern state in the traditional sense and its cities aren't large or diverse enough to make it competitive outside a possible landslide situation. Even then, it would have to be a 49 state landslide or close to it for a Democrat to have a chance at winning Oklahoma.
Actually, Texas barely has a white plurality. That could change by 2020.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why Ardmore? I've been there, and have heard nothing but horror stories about crime up there.

Ardmore is over an hour away from where I live and probably close to two hours from Dallas or Fort Worth. Even in the very border like Gainesville it's still a lengthy commute.
I don't know why. I've been there and wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:40 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
It's about demographics. Texas barely has a white majority. Like California, Latinos make up a large segment of the population. Texas Hispanics could turn the state blue if they abandoned the GOP in large enough numbers. The only reason Texas is still red is because Texas Hispanics are generally more conservative than California Hispanics or they aren't politically active.

Oklahoma on the other hand is a rural, Southern state in the traditional sense and its cities aren't large or diverse enough to make it competitive outside a possible landslide situation. Even then, it would have to be a 49 state landslide or close to it for a Democrat to have a chance at winning Oklahoma.
The original statement I disagreed with was that Texas would be a safe blue state starting this next election.

I am aware of the demographics.

And it might become a purple state if purple martians landed in TX in droves and started voting for the purple martian party. TX turning into a safe blue state only has slightly better odds than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Yes, its difficult. 3 of my neighbors got robbed last year, 1 of my relatives was shot in a drive by, and at least half the people I know have had some type of violent crime happen to them. It like a penny dreadful novel here.

It is about an hour to Denton, I would imagine that would make it however long it takes you to get from Denton to there, + 1hr, to get from Ardmore to Dallas or Fort Worth .

Nobody living in Denton has much room to throw mud about living in a crappy town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I don't know why. I've been there and wouldn't want to live there.
LOL, says someone from Stillwater.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

LOL, says someone from Stillwater.
Right. Ardmore is too far away from Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:14 PM

143 posts, read 192,827 times
Ardmore is #1 in the state for crime per capita. I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Right. Ardmore is too far away from Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
Its 1.5 hrs to OKC. about 20 mins more than it takes someone from stillwater to make it.

But I really don't ever go, because there isn't much there anyways.

It is only 1.5 hrs away from being well inside the DFW metro, which is hands down a much better place than either OKC or Tulsa, for....well, anything.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
My guess is it will be legalized in surrounding states and decriminalized here. That will probably happen by 2030 more than likely. Like tattoos and 3.2 beer, Oklahoma will finally legalize marijuana in 2050 or 2060 when it is the last or one of the last to still ban it.
I wouldn't go so far as putting a year on it. They need to decriminalize or lower the maximum sentencing on simple possession of marijuana. There are so many doing time in OK DOC for simple possession it is nuts. And the use of sentence enhancements, I have seen crazy sentences like 20 years for simple possesison with a 10 year sentence for the Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (rolling papers) running concurrently.

And as long as we have Gov. Fallin in office, legalized medical marijuana stands little chance of being passed.

As the older folks die out I think the tide will turn. Certain segments of society will get out and vote, and the others have too much apathy or are just too damn lazy.

Oklahoma House OKs bill allowing medical use of cannabis oil | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma