U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,021 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Ardmore very soon and need help finding a place to rent. I also want to know the advantages, such as tax rates, of living in Texas and commuting to Ardmore. I know if I live in Texas i qualify for the Hazelwood Act and property tax deduction but does that cover the cost of commuting?

Thank you
Melody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 11:31 AM

18,141 posts, read 14,406,897 times
Oklahoma state sales tax goes up one penny after election day in November, if voters approve of it.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 PM

6,953 posts, read 8,612,353 times
Oklahoma has an income tax but low property taxes. Texas is the reverse, no income tax for individuals but high property taxes which even if you rent represent a cost the landlord faces and passes on in rent. So no general rule, depends on income level and property cost in each location you consider.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,021 times
Well crud. I know if I live in Texas I can get the Hazelwood act for schooling but Im not sure that justifies the cost of living difference.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:42 AM

6,953 posts, read 8,612,353 times
If you live in a modest place texas cost of living should be good fro you. If you have income while living in tx it may well be competitive living in tx vs ok.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:23 PM

14,731 posts, read 465,038 times
http://military.utep.edu/images/Hazl...quirements.pdf

This shiuld answer some questions.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 AM

895 posts, read 601,915 times
Oklahoma will remain a safe red state for years to come, while Texas is vulnerable becoming a safe blue state, maybe starting this 2016 election.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:24 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,531,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody1216 View Post
I am moving to Ardmore very soon and need help finding a place to rent. I also want to know the advantages, such as tax rates, of living in Texas and commuting to Ardmore. I know if I live in Texas i qualify for the Hazelwood Act and property tax deduction but does that cover the cost of commuting?

Thank you
Melody
It most likely will not be worth it. If you work in Oklahoma you will pay Oklahoma income tax and you are required to file.

If you buy property its for sure a losing situation to live in TX. Property taxes in TX are double what they are in even the most expensive areas of Southern OK.

I don't understand why you would want to live in TX and work in OK. If the Hazelwood Act is that important then just live and work in TX.

Honestly if you get the GI bill then the Hazelwood Act isn't going to help you very much in most circumstances.

Where are you working in Ardmore? A big company or are you just moving into the area and then looking for a job.

As far as rent in Ardmore your most likely going to rent a detached home. There are currently many available. Many more than usual. I suspect that renters in this area are becoming buyers because of affordability. Its preventing rent from climbing but the housing market is heating up. Its a tiny market though.

You will want to stay in western 1/3 of the NW and SW. Almost anywhere West of Commerce is good. East of Commerce can get sketchy very quick but a large area in the North is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Oklahoma will remain a safe red state for years to come, while Texas is vulnerable becoming a safe blue state, maybe starting this 2016 election.
I doubt that.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 PM

11,464 posts, read 5,082,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

I doubt that.
It's about demographics. Texas barely has a white majority. Like California, Latinos make up a large segment of the population. Texas Hispanics could turn the state blue if they abandoned the GOP in large enough numbers. The only reason Texas is still red is because Texas Hispanics are generally more conservative than California Hispanics or they aren't politically active.

Oklahoma on the other hand is a rural, Southern state in the traditional sense and its cities aren't large or diverse enough to make it competitive outside a possible landslide situation. Even then, it would have to be a 49 state landslide or close to it for a Democrat to have a chance at winning Oklahoma.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:39 AM

32,747 posts, read 18,212,635 times
Good post, bawac. I was really surprised when the medical marijuana attempt netted such a large number of voters who wanted their 420. We are getting closer! I can always dream, right? Maybe it will be legal by the time I am ready for social security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or