U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:30 PM

7,103 posts, read 2,026,166 times

Advertisements

I'll be traveling from Colorado to Eureka Springs, AR. Want to travel through Oklahoma and stop off at a place or two to camp with my dog, while en route and break up the amount of time on the highway.

Any places that are natural such as lakes, hiking trails, interesting formations, etc are of interest, as are quirky or 'odd' places. Staying off interstates and major highways is a plus.

The route doesn't have to be the most direct or obvious and going out of my way a little bit is fine, but I would rather keep to the northern portion of the state. Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:50 PM

18,019 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Go to the Glass Mountains in northwest Oklahoma. It's weird how the buttes peridically rise up from the prairie as you drive on some of the highways, such as Highway 51.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdAgqOmTk4

Old 07-07-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Go to the Glass Mountains in northwest Oklahoma. It's weird how the buttes peridically rise up from the prairie as you drive on some of the highways, such as Highway 51.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdAgqOmTk4
Thanks, it looks great!

Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times
Definitely spend some time at Lake Tenkiller just north of Vian. It's one of our favorite lakes and there's also a great Mexican joint in town after spending all day at the lake.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:33 PM

143 posts, read 137,713 times
Natural Falls State Park is gorgeous! and it will be on your way!

Old 07-14-2016, 06:48 AM

11 posts, read 8,694 times
I've been looking for those places for a while and I can tell you there is no way your going to want to be in a tent around here this time of year. Low temps at night are falling down to a chilly 75 to 80 degrees! Never been to Natural Falls but I have been to lake Tenkiller and I must admit it's pretty nice and so is the lower Illinois river. I really like the Marvell resort it feels family friendly and safe! I wouldn't stay just anywhere around Tenkiller because a lot of it looks sketchy and dirty! Lots and lots of meth heads in the area! Stay armed and alert. Divers are in Tenkiller today looking for the body of a missing hiker they believe was murdered by one or all of his three friends. Watch it in the state park I think more people live in there than they do camp. I actually seen one sun faded tent with a window unit air conditioner zipped up inside the door.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,005,032 times
I just spent a week visiting friends in OK. We went horseback riding in Roman Nose state park with is in the Northeast. We were not there for more than a few hours but it was a pretty spectacular visit. They have camping areas and well marked trails. The view on Inspiration trail at sunset is pretty amazing.

Just watch out for the cati all over. Don't let your dogs wander off the trail.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 PM

874 posts, read 1,430,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I just spent a week visiting friends in OK. We went horseback riding in Roman Nose state park with is in the Northeast. We were not there for more than a few hours but it was a pretty spectacular visit. They have camping areas and well marked trails. The view on Inspiration trail at sunset is pretty amazing.

Just watch out for the cati all over. Don't let your dogs wander off the trail.
Roman Nose is in northwest Oklahoma. No cati in northeast Oklahoma.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:22 PM

Thank you everyone! OkieDokie, I had thought about the heat and probably humidity, too! I'm actually wavering on my trip-but need to visit family in Missouri and try to make the trek once a year. I typically go through Kansas and over to Missouri, but really want to do something different this time and thought Oklahoma would be nice.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:44 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,005,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Roman Nose is in northwest Oklahoma. No cati in northeast Oklahoma.
I stand corrected. LOL My friends were pretty determined to show me the whole state. I guess they almost managed to accomplish that.

I must say I truly enjoyed my time there. Oklahoma is a beautiful state. But HOT!! I can't imagine trying to camp there in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or