Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 AM

208 posts, read 872,155 times

Advertisements

This oughta get me some brownie points!!Cost of Living 3rd Quarter 2007 The MO Dept of Ecomic Development updates this quarterly,it answers so many questions about cost of living in the 50 states.The 10 cheapest states for cost of living are TN,SD,TX,OK,MO,KS,MS,NE,AR,and ID for 3rd quarter 2007.This list does change around each quarter,4th quarter 2007 should be coming out soon.Look at each of the categories for the 50 states,you have to scroll down a bit on the page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Hey, I like that site. It's interesting to see where the cheapest states for living are. It looks like SD and TN are tied for the lowest. I'll bet we don't turn out to be the lowest for the last quarter of 2007 or the first quarter of 2008 if they figure our heat bills in there.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
I wish they'd give dollar amounts and details. I don't relate to indexes or relative points, I need to see actual dollar figures. And the costs of various taxes and permits, and the percentages of groceries to rent/utilities on a monthly basis. Some of those low COL states have some much more expensive areas within them.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
I look at that list every quarter, and it does change. Last quarter Oklahoma wasn't even on the list, Mississippi consistantly makes the list, but it is also the poorest state in the country and has very high unemployment. There are cheap places to live in the Carolinas, but I've NEVER seen them on the list. I'm not sure what data they're using, but it just never seems quit accurate.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
I question the state of Washington being ranked so low, particularly as it pertains to median house price. Washington is one of the most expensive states for buying a home.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I question the state of Washington being ranked so low, particularly as it pertains to median house price. Washington is one of the most expensive states for buying a home.
It's pretty high for groceries, too. And the one for Alaska is also sort of deceptive. Utilities can be high or low, depending on which part of the state, groceries are always higher because of shipping costs. And shipping to remote villages is most expensive of all, no matter what it is.

MO surprised me. When I was there several years ago, it was beyond difficult to find a place to rent, and buying wasn't much better. There were so many inspections needed, it was way beyond ridiculous, and a person couldn't buy a fixer-upper and live in it while remodeling or fixing. Everything had to be done first and a CO had to be in place before anyone at all could live in it. There's more, but that's enough.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 PM

63 posts, read 227,115 times
That sounds mighty inviting. I can use every brake I can get.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 PM

54 posts, read 196,213 times
Default SD???hahaha...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
This oughta get me some brownie points!!Cost of Living 3rd Quarter 2007 The MO Dept of Ecomic Development updates this quarterly,it answers so many questions about cost of living in the 50 states.The 10 cheapest states for cost of living are TN,SD,TX,OK,MO,KS,MS,NE,AR,and ID for 3rd quarter 2007.This list does change around each quarter,4th quarter 2007 should be coming out soon.Look at each of the categories for the 50 states,you have to scroll down a bit on the page.
I found this interesting(the article) i for one lived in SD for pert near 20 yrs(rapid city) and i dont see how SD ranked cheap for living...go to SD forum, especially rapid city, and you will see, no one will agree with this article. I think figures must have been based on the other part of state where its either poor reservations or poor farmland, and even then, i wouldnt say its low cost of living. if you go to rapid, which is where most do, its growing like a weed, you will be gratefull if you make a penny over minumium wage, and thats if you can even get a job, even at a mcdonalds is getten hard. so many families are leaving in droves cuz they cant make it, and on that 5.85 hr job, the cost of living is very high, with the avg price of gas right now well over 3 bucks gal, and gorceries are very high, thanks to drought, and farmer markup to cover their own cost, and then there is rent and for sale homes, with avg rent of 900 and up, oh you will find under that, but you will only find somethingunder 900 mo if you want a little 900 sq ft house in middle of gangtown, and you will still pay more then 600mo for that, or in a run down trailer park by airbase that is about 10-12 by 60, and it wont be pretty. to buy, forget it, thanks to all the californians that came and wanted a piece of the hills, they built their huge mcmansions and year later didnt like the winter, and off back to CA they went, leaving behind hundreds of overpriced homes the avg resident cant dream of affording and that also drove the price up on the little homes that never used to be worth much, but now are pricey thanks to greedy officials that want to suck the tax dollars out of ya by raising the value of little homes to equal those empty mcmansions, so now, its worse.....lol. SD is a great place to live, on the west side anyways, with the blackhills and rapid city has all you will need, but to raise a familiy there, let alone tell the world its a cheap place to live, think again...most there refer to it as quicksand...you slowly sink with no nearby branch to pull yourself out...or my fav...SD...barley eat in the summer only to starve in the winter. id love to go back, but sad to say, only to visit.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Default but thank you for info!!

thanks nocoldiron for report, just wanted to say that quick, i didnt want you to think i was sass'n you on posten the report, i think its great to give folks a idea of where to live....so ya earned brownie points....(why are you collecting them now is the question of the day.....lmao)

Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hey, I like that site. It's interesting to see where the cheapest states for living are. It looks like SD and TN are tied for the lowest. I'll bet we don't turn out to be the lowest for the last quarter of 2007 or the first quarter of 2008 if they figure our heat bills in there.
ok, forgot to mention TN and ID, im living in TN(east/by knox now) and it is cheap...my electric bill is half of what it was in SD!!! my gorcery bill is not to bad, thou food tax in TN can be a pain...milk....heck, its thru the roof all over isnt it????lol, housing is cheap, but be carefull when ya rent, if ya read newspaper ads...you will think..."omg...cheap to rent down south!!" but as you will see in other forums in that regards, 9 out of 10 you get what ya pay for, we found more rentals that wasnt fit for human living then anything, and landlords down here dont know meaning of renter laws in regards to home being liviable!...lol.
idaho...we was stationed there(outside boise) for 4 years...now, id say report is right on it...alot of good payen jobs, jobs that pay a good higher wage, and cost of living is right with wages, actally i thought cost of living was low compared to high wages..but whos complainng....lol. now...if ya cna get past nothing to look at but sgaebrush tumbleweeds and coyote butts....you got it made there.....lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma