U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:03 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
LOL. Good one. However, in Oklahoma, more people are at risk for death by vending machine due to their SHAKING it to get at the candy bars!
Or getting your head stuck in there....or a Halloween decoration!

Full Disclosure:
This is RedBird's pet squirrel. Makes sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 05:43 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
LMAO. Aw, poor little squirrel. Where's my 22 shootin' iron?

Maw, git the black skillet out!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 AM

6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
I'd guess 99% of the land in oklahima has not been directly touched by a tornado so op the answer is most places never see one. Tornados are limited in scope and frequency and even some large ones in populated locations are survived with limited loss of life. I lived in ok for 22 yeqrs and never felt afraid of tornados despite numerous warnings and watches.there are logical steps you can take to be safer in them.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:45 AM

18,018 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I'd guess 99% of the land in oklahima has not been directly touched by a tornado so op the answer is most places never see one. Tornados are limited in scope and frequency and even some large ones in populated locations are survived with limited loss of life. I lived in ok for 22 yeqrs and never felt afraid of tornados despite numerous warnings and watches.there are logical steps you can take to be safer in them.
Some people are so worried and frightened when a tornado warning is issued for their area that they pray to God to spare their home and town. As long as God answers those prayers, people will keep on praying. You may be able to take safe shelter, but your house can't.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
I read they changed the rules on the tornado sirens. Used to be it would ring if a tornado was in your county.

Now it has to be local.

Maybe someone like ROCKY will know.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Some people are so worried and frightened when a tornado warning is issued for their area that they pray to God to spare their home and town. As long as God answers those prayers, people will keep on praying. You may be able to take safe shelter, but your house can't.
What percent of oklahoma homes are destroyed each year by tornados? At an extreme what percent homes in Moore have been destroyed by tornados there? My point is its remote danger.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:10 PM

71 posts, read 67,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I'd guess 99% of the land in oklahima has not been directly touched by a tornado so op the answer is most places never see one.
This is an image of every documented tornado in Oklahoma starting in 1950 So it's probably more accurate to say 99% of the land in Oklahoma HAS been directly touched by a tornado. But I do agree that they are a relatively small threat on a day to day basis, especially if you choose to travel outside of APR-MAY
Attached Thumbnails
Are there places in OK that doesnt get tornadoes?-capture.png  

Old 07-30-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
This is an image of every documented tornado in Oklahoma starting in 1950 So it's probably more accurate to say 99% of the land in Oklahoma HAS been directly touched by a tornado. But I do agree that they are a relatively small threat on a day to day basis, especially if you choose to travel outside of APR-MAY
If a tornado runs through an area, the impact area tends to be a narrow band along where it touched down. So saying one hits a broad area and it impacts all the land for that area as shown on a map are two different things. I will stick to my claim that by far most land is not touched by a tornado. That is not to say there isn't one in that town. Perhaps a better definition of its impact would be what areas have seen tornado strength winds sufficient to cause meaningful property damage. I venture even in Moore there are areas not impacted by the storms they have seen in town.

My point is same as yours. Their likely impact on a specifics location or traveler is very very remote

Old 08-06-2016, 06:37 PM

36 posts, read 148,199 times
I was in or passing through OK at least a half dozen times traveling in an RV between late Spring and early Fall and each time I was very near to a tornado. Driving through that was nightmarish. The times I was in a campground, folks went to shelters. The shelter I tried to go to wouldn't allow me in with my little dog, so I had to brave the periphery of the frightening storm.

I would love to spend time in OK, but when I go there, tornadoes come. These folks who live in OK always say no problem, but really, by me, it is a problem.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:31 PM

18,018 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
I was in or passing through OK at least a half dozen times traveling in an RV between late Spring and early Fall and each time I was very near to a tornado. Driving through that was nightmarish. The times I was in a campground, folks went to shelters. The shelter I tried to go to wouldn't allow me in with my little dog, so I had to brave the periphery of the frightening storm.

I would love to spend time in OK, but when I go there, tornadoes come. These folks who live in OK always say no problem, but really, by me, it is a problem.
Improve your chances by not coming to Oklahoma during April, May and June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma