U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times

Advertisements

My DREAM is to move to Poteau someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 01:47 PM

11,415 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, I'm just a chronic homebody. We homebodies don't want to move to a better state, such as Texas, Colorado, Florida and so on. Might as well throw in Missouri, too, since it has less prohibitive alcohol laws.
I would move to a better state if I could afford it. I made a horrible financial decision in 2014 that will keep me here for the forseeable future.

For a state full of "small government" Republicans, they sure want the government controlling everyone's personal life, from what they do with and put in their bodies to who they can love. To most Oklahomonas, "small government" only means less regulations for oil companies and less gun regulations. When it comes to personal choices, this is as much of a nanny state as any.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:32 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,279,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
We can agree to disagree on this one. Howest is not a chronic hater/whiner. We have a few of those here already and Howest is not one of them.

I hope people do continue to fly over our state. And for those not happy here, I hope they find someplace that makes them happy and I wish them all the success life has to offer .

I like both the flat southwestern part of the state and the hilly parts in south central.

Talimena National Scenic Byway Home - Talimena National Scenic Byway
Who is Howest? Howest is not the person to whom I made my comment.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would move to a better state if I could afford it. I made a horrible financial decision in 2014 that will keep me here for the forseeable future.

For a state full of "small government" Republicans, they sure want the government controlling everyone's personal life, from what they do with and put in their bodies to who they can love. To most Oklahomonas, "small government" only means less regulations for oil companies and less gun regulations. When it comes to personal choices, this is as much of a nanny state as any.
Sell the truck and move on! Less gun regs? Sure!

Old 08-16-2016, 06:20 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Who is Howest? Howest is not the person to whom I made my comment.
Oh! Sorry! I saw your post right after his. My apologies.

Quote:

Good post, but what does this have to do with the OP? The thread title is, "I like Oklahoma and think it's underrated." You seem to have the same post for every thread you post in.

I hope someday you find happiness. But I guarantee you it is not a geographical move that will relieve you from your unhappiness.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 PM

18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My DREAM is to move to Poteau someday!
Why? So you can see the world's highest hill every day?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:06 PM

18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Quote:

We live in a far right Christian authoritarian state. I don't think true conservatives would want to stand for any kind of nanny state.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 AM

11,415 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
We live in a far right Christian authoritarian state. I don't think true conservatives would want to stand for any kind of nanny state.
Good point. I think that Christian authoritarian would be a better way to describe Oklahoma than conservative. Baptist authoritarian is probably more accurate. Most Oklahoma lawmakers treat and talk about the statehouse like it is a Baptist church. Remember the outcry when somebody wanted to put up a festivus pole last year?

As for nep and wanting to move to Oklahoma, at first I thought he might be serious but now I'm starting to wonder if he is trolling. It takes all kinds to make the world go around but I can't think of anybody who would be that excited about moving somewhere like Poteau or Pine Bluff, AR especially if they had no ties there. Judging from this poster's posting history, those don't seem like the kind of places for him.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Quote:

My update. I'm looking much closer at the current state of politics here now that I'll be getting away from it. My son and his wife plan to get a house with a 'mother in law' area for me, and I found it easy to say yes. We have to wait until they are ready and the winter is done, but I'm finding myself very happy about this, not just because I'll be close to family and it will be so much easier, but because I'm beginning to see just how much I am not feeling comfortable here.

So something next spring/summer I'll be heading off to Utah and a region with large beautiful mountains and a different social climate. Outsiders are flocking there, and a notable percentage of the population. This is unlike OK where they are not. I have friends of all persuasions who love it.

Coming to OK was very much the right thing for me when I did it. I was utterly fed up with traffic, smog, a society in a hurry to do everything, and so on in socal, and this was a very restful place for me. But I'm ready to move on. OK will be nothing but good memories if I don't try to stick it out when I know I've moved on.

As for nanny state stuff I don't know about Utah, but California is the king of it and in its smaller but just as annoying here with all the religious baggage.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,993,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hi. I am from Connecticut and last week I was in eastern Oklahoma. I went to Dripping Springs (Natural Falls) and thought it was nice. Then I went down to Poteau, had lunch and then went to the Ouchita National Forest area and drove along the byway. I LOVED it! It was just so beautiful and relaxing. I think OK scenery is very underrated.

A few years ago, I also drove down I-35 through OKC and I thought the open spaces were beautiful, and the southern part of the state was nice, too.
I liked Oklahoma very much EXCEPT for the tornadoes and microbursts. I wouldn't mind visiting eastern Oklahoma again but would never want to live there 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or