U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2016, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Reputation: 7136

Advertisements

I wish I could move to eastern OK someday, but it's hard to do and I just relocated from Ohio to Connecticut 3 months ago and started a new job.

I would live in a cute small city like Poteau or something that's near the Ouchita National Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2016, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Reputation: 7136
Does anyone know anything about Poteau? Is it a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
8,286 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Reputation: 7396
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Poteau? Is it a nice place to live?
I've lived in Poteau. Don't think it is necessarily a bad place to live but it's very blue collar and conservative. It's a hunting, fishin' fourwheelin' type place. Basically it is a suburb of Ft. Smith, AR which surprisingly had more to offer than I expected. As a result. Poteau didn't seem quite as remote as I thought it was before I moved there.

Poteau is in a beautiful valley and you can easily access the mountains from there, but you pretty much have to go to Ft. Smith for shopping, anything cultural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Reputation: 7136
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've lived in Poteau. Don't think it is necessarily a bad place to live but it's very blue collar and conservative. It's a hunting, fishin' fourwheelin' type place. Basically it is a suburb of Ft. Smith, AR which surprisingly had more to offer than I expected. As a result. Poteau didn't seem quite as remote as I thought it was before I moved there.

Poteau is in a beautiful valley and you can easily access the mountains from there, but you pretty much have to go to Ft. Smith for shopping, anything cultural.
Well, now I'm concerned if I would fit in, in Poteau. I mean, I'm homosexual, liberal, love Hillary Clinton, and I'm white collar and highly educated with a master's degree. Would I be a misfit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, now I'm concerned if I would fit in, in Poteau. I mean, I'm homosexual, liberal, love Hillary Clinton, and I'm white collar and highly educated with a master's degree. Would I be a misfit?
You would be better off living in Ft. Smith. I would imagine a lot of people would be. A lot of people don't care about little towns that don't offer much of anything. At least you can give Poteau credit for being big enough to have a Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Reputation: 45417
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, now I'm concerned if I would fit in, in Poteau. I mean, I'm homosexual, liberal, love Hillary Clinton, and I'm white collar and highly educated with a master's degree. Would I be a misfit?
Take it from me: you would be miserable in OK, especially one of the small towns. All you have to do is check out the political party of the elected officials, national and state. It is very much like AR.

Yes, parts of east OK is very pretty, much like AR, but parts of the state are more like western Texas, and Kansas, very flat with no scenery. The summers are hot and there are always the treat of tornados.

For many of us, living in parts of AR and Ok is heaven, for others it wouldn't be a good move. You may want to consider someplace like Eureka Springs and commuting into Benton county for work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Reputation: 7136
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Take it from me: you would be miserable in OK, especially one of the small towns. All you have to do is check out the political party of the elected officials, national and state. It is very much like AR.

Yes, parts of east OK is very pretty, much like AR, but parts of the state are more like western Texas, and Kansas, very flat with no scenery. The summers are hot and there are always the treat of tornados.

For many of us, living in parts of AR and Ok is heaven, for others it wouldn't be a good move. You may want to consider someplace like Eureka Springs and commuting into Benton county for work?
But Eureka Springs is even smaller than Poteau. Where's the logic??

I don't like living in populated places that are busy.

If I were to move to AR, I would probably go for Little Rock or Pine Bluff. Fayetteville seems too college oriented, which I can't stand. I hate college towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 AM
 
Location: NE, Oklahoma
143 posts, read 137,713 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But Eureka Springs is even smaller than Poteau. Where's the logic??

I don't like living in populated places that are busy.

If I were to move to AR, I would probably go for Little Rock or Pine Bluff. Fayetteville seems too college oriented, which I can't stand. I hate college towns.


Pine Bluff is riddled with crime, its one of the highest in the nation (per capita) I would avoid that town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Reputation: 7136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomagirl74 View Post
Pine Bluff is riddled with crime, its one of the highest in the nation (per capita) I would avoid that town!
Yeah but I was there two weeks ago and was impressed. It was a peaceful, low key area. Not one of those places where you see people and crowds, which I can't stand. I like quiet and I don't like people. Therefore, I like Pine Bluff. And I think the city has a bright future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 02:59 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Poteau? Is it a nice place to live?
Poteau is awesome. I'm a guy who's always loved smaller Oklahoma towns. My elderly mama would be quick to correct me though as she would say, "Poteau is the city! The county seat!"

I go there often. That area is so beautiful and it's even more stunning the further south in Oklahoma you go. I'm an ol' lake bum, so I hit up eastern Oklahoma often.

I remember swimming there when I was little. Poteau had a public pool which I believe is just behind the Carl Albert College now. Great memories.

Be careful though and get those ears ready to decipher; those Oklahoma twangs that are so prevalent in central Oklahoma start to become a bit more "drawly".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top