U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:33 PM

18,119 posts, read 8,145,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, now I'm concerned if I would fit in, in Poteau. I mean, I'm homosexual, liberal, love Hillary Clinton, and I'm white collar and highly educated with a master's degree. Would I be a misfit?
My BIL and SIL are moving from Poteau to Durant. My BIL, who's pretty progressive, doesn't like the place at all, but for him it's been both a tribal thing and the commute (he recently got transferred to Durant and has been making the drive). Your politics are definitely not the "norm" in Poteau, and Fort Smith (I lived there a couple years) isn't a bastion of liberalism. I liked Poteau for its small-town feel, and while there doesn't appear to be much to do there, it has a great view with Cavanal Hill and access to NWA 2 hours away, world-class fishin' and huntin' and some damn fine BBQ (although I was very disappointed when Whitmore's in Pocola closed a few years back). This time of the year there is some decent produce from the local area as well; every year I go to Pea Ridge, AR and come back with several gallons of blueberries which I freeze, gets me through to about March. (Having some in an hour, in fact.) I didn't like FSM, and while it has what may be the best downtown of a city its size, it's too much like Tulsa. DFW is only 4 hours away.

I have heard, also from my BIL who grew up nearby, and lived several years there, that Tahlequah is a progressive place. I can neither confirm nor deny that; anyone else out there maybe add to that? Comanche County down here in the SW part of the state isn't as "churchy", the term my home builder used, as, say, my wife's home in Major County. I like it out here, there's actually mountains compared to the "hill" in Poteau. (It looks like a mountain to me, folks.)

What I like about your title: "I like Oklahoma and think it's underrated" is the proverbial breath of fresh air in what at times seems like a wasteland of negativity. "Where can I find a neighborhood in Portland that's not too liberal?" "Will I find Mexicans in San Antonio?" "Why does Phoenix suck so much?" and my favorite, "Tell me something bad about ______" seem to be all-too-common on C/D. It's nice to see something that has a positive spin on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 03:37 PM

18,119 posts, read 8,145,654 times
Quote:
Yeah but I was there two weeks ago and was impressed. It was a peaceful, low key area. Not one of those places where you see people and crowds, which I can't stand. I like quiet and I don't like people. Therefore, I like Pine Bluff. And I think the city has a bright future.
Another add, and this one isn't positive: My nephew went to UAPB for two semesters. Hated it. Car broken into twice. Too other-side-of-the-tracks, too "them and us", too divisive. Its population is dropping ten percent or more every census. Hot Springs, now there's another story. Recommend it.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-25-2016 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 04:42 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,004,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Wow, those are beautiful pics!

We also went to the Botanical Gardens one time and it was steamy! But the plants love it!

I have a membership to the one here in Pittsburgh so we all got in for free. Phipps is a lot bigger for the inside stuff. The one in OKC really was beautiful although I would have liked to see more orchids. Most of them were in resting stage. Personally I liked the outdoor parts best though. The Grackles were fun to watch, playing in the fountains and waterfalls.

Swimming in the Sulfur Spring in the Wichita Recreation area was awesome. A great way to beat the heat. And the view from the top pf Mt Scott was spectacular.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:12 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,463,285 times
Quote:
Well, now I'm concerned if I would fit in, in Poteau. I mean, I'm homosexual, liberal, love Hillary Clinton, and I'm white collar and highly educated with a master's degree. Would I be a misfit?
I'm just going to take a wild guess here, I've never been to the Ft Smith area, but I can't help but believe if you behave in a mannerly and respectful way with people, I think you would be treated well and accepted. It's really hard for a person not to like or be unkind to somebody who is nice to them. It's almost human nature to like somebody who likes you, regardless of who they are or what everybody else thinks of them.

Just because somebody likes Hillary doesn't mean they cannot be friends with somebody who likes Donald Trump.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:59 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Take it from me: you would be miserable in OK, especially one of the small towns. All you have to do is check out the political party of the elected officials, national and state. It is very much like AR.
I love living NEAR a small town. But not in one.

Personally, I love the western half of OK known as the southern plains. That is home to various plains tribes prior to statehood and many of those tribal people still live there. Hopefully, most Muricans will hate it here and move along.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Another add, and this one isn't positive: My nephew went to UAPB for two semesters. Hated it. Car broken into twice. Too other-side-of-the-tracks, too "them and us", too divisive. Its population is dropping ten percent or more every census. Hot Springs, now there's another story. Recommend it.
I don't care. I think Pine Bluff looks like a great place to live.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 AM

143 posts, read 137,713 times
Pine Bluff: America's most crime-ridden little town | Daily Mail Online

Not trying to be a negative nelly, but I don't think I'd want to live in a place that has a murder rate at 7 times the national average.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm just going to take a wild guess here, I've never been to the Ft Smith area, but I can't help but believe if you behave in a mannerly and respectful way with people, I think you would be treated well and accepted. It's really hard for a person not to like or be unkind to somebody who is nice to them. It's almost human nature to like somebody who likes you, regardless of who they are or what everybody else thinks of them.

Just because somebody likes Hillary doesn't mean they cannot be friends with somebody who likes Donald Trump.
^^^
This.

I will say, by way of caution, there are many transplants who have struggled adapting to Oklahoma's culture. It is really a mixture of Southern and Southwestern semblances. Some do view this as a non-progressive state, with backwardness. My natural tendency is to point to their attitude and haphazardly moving to an area they did not appreciate nor understand.

So opinions of said transplants should be taken with a grain of salt, however, it does seem common for them to move here and want to move away again.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Quote:
Yeah but I was there two weeks ago and was impressed. It was a peaceful, low key area. Not one of those places where you see people and crowds, which I can't stand. I like quiet and I don't like people. Therefore, I like Pine Bluff. And I think the city has a bright future.
I am not trying to talk you out of it, but you better take another look at the stats below.

//www.city-data.com/city/Pine-Bluff-Arkansas.html

Old 07-26-2016, 02:15 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I love living NEAR a small town. But not in one.

Personally, I love the western half of OK known as the southern plains. That is home to various plains tribes prior to statehood and many of those tribal people still live there. Hopefully, most Muricans will hate it here and move along.

Amen to all of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or