U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times

Advertisements

I was only daydreaming though. In reality, I'll probably remain here in CT for about 4 more years, since I just moved here 3 months ago. Then, I'll be 36 years old and considered too old to relocate again, which means I'll basically be in CT for the rest of my life (another 50+ years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM

771 posts, read 782,019 times
Here are some of my favorite areas I've taken pictures of in Oklahoma:

Hales Mansion in OKC

Will Rogers Park in OKC (two photos)

The Lighthouse at Lake Hefner

A pond near Ardmore

Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 PM

771 posts, read 782,019 times
The Kiamichi sub-range in the Ouachita Mountains

Lake Nanih Waiya with the Potato Hills (in the Ouachitas)

The outskirts of Durant

Turner Falls in the Arbuckle Mountains

Old 07-30-2016, 08:09 PM

5,980 posts, read 5,514,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was only daydreaming though. In reality, I'll probably remain here in CT for about 4 more years, since I just moved here 3 months ago. Then, I'll be 36 years old and considered too old to relocate again, which means I'll basically be in CT for the rest of my life (another 50+ years).
I don't know why on earth you would think that - you're free to move wherever you want whenever you want whatever age you are - assuming you can find work in various places and that your family can adjust. That's one of the many beauties of being an American.

If you're willing to keep looking at other obscure beautiful places in America for a potential home, I recommend South Dakota. I found HOME in a town of fewer than 11,000 people here in SD. It is exactly right for me.

There really is a HOME for everyone; it's just a matter of finding it.

Oklahoma IS really beautiful, and many wonderful people live there. (NOT in Arkansas, though - eeew, never ever go there again!)

Old 07-30-2016, 11:02 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Okay, sorry. I had to youtube Pine Bluff, AR. I just had to go take a look-see myself. Slap me twice and raise my rent, I had to SEE! And FWIW, nep, age 36 is not too old to relocate IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUwmmY1MF7g

Old 07-31-2016, 05:15 AM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is true for the most part. Much of Arkansas and Oklahoma are like a cultural twilight zone compared to most of America. There are pockets in both states that are different (moreso in Arkansas than Oklahoma) but this region of the country is very different for the most part and is almost like traveling back in time.

I consider the Ft Smith area to be more culturally Oklahoma than Arkansas. It has more cultural ties to OKC and Tulsa than it does to Little Rock. Where did you live in Oklahoma? If your Arkansas experience was Ft Smith and this type of conservative culture/politics bothers you, I can see why you prefer Oklahoma over Arkansas. As nmita says, most people tend to be the other way around, but their Arkansas experience is more likely NWA or Little Rock, which in my opinion, are nicer than Oklahoma's cities.

I am not sure I agree with the statement that the further west you go in Oklahoma the less dominant the fundamentalists are. This is the buckle of the Bible Belt and the dominance of the Southern Baptist church is pretty much statewide and extends into the Texas panhandle as well. The culture finally starts to change pretty significantly once you get to New Mexico.

A more correct statement would be the further east you go in Arkansas, the lest dominant the fundamentalists are. Little Rock is a fairly liberal place and eastern Arkansas, while more conservative than Little Rock, is more liberal than western Arkansas. At least out there you can buy alcohol in most places (you can't in most of western Arkansas). By the time you reach Memphis, you have returned to the 21st century.
Some of what you post is true; the beauty of AR and I am sure Ok as well is the mixture of urban and rural; refer to it as living in the twilight zone if you will. You can live in NWA and enjoy the beauty and slow moving life with much of the charm of the "days gone by" and yet, within a few minutes be in the city with all the exposure to the modern day world you want. For the most part crime is much lower, the pace of life is slower and the people overall friendlier cause they are not always in a hurry or living for the next move. Yet believe it or not the area is very diverse. Walk into Sam's club any day of the week or visit the nearest Farmers market and see people of every race and color; every nationality; speaking in other languages. Yes, we even have problems with gangs, but not like the large major cities. It is a great place to raise a family. We have both Republicans, and Democrats; until about 8 years ago the state had almost no elected Republicans, now there are few Democrats. There are liberals and conservatives.

Yes, many probably need to open their minds some; yes, there is probably more prejudice here than in the truly urban areas but life is life and people here are relatively happy. I am sure this is true with many parts of OK as well. I know we saw a pretty urban life style when we visited the grandkids in OKC. We saw the same when we researched Tulsa as a possible retirement location. Tulsa reminded up of a small Dallas for some reason.

Oh, as for not buying in alcohol this is true in many parts of OK, but you are showing how little you know about the modern day ARK. there are very few counties in NWA where you can not buy liquor. The laws were changed with the 2012 election. You still can't buy on Sundays.

For those who think the state is all about Southern Baptist, have any of you read the papers lately? The Southern Baptists membership is going down yearly. Here is NWA we have a lot of people who do believe in heading to church on Sundays and live a relatively religious based life but not any one religion. We know Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Budists, (spelling) and those who are active in non denominational churches. We also have friends who do not attend any church. Other than the question most of us got when we first moved here: do you have a church family? people do not look at others based on their religion or lack of same.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-31-2016 at 05:41 AM..

Old 07-31-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
36 is not too old to relocate: our daughter and son in law, relocated in their 50s and both got very good jobs. We moved from Los Angles area to the DC area in our early 40s and then, from there to Dallas in our early 50s. You can do anything you want with a positive attitude. I will still say, what I have been saying all along, you do not sound like someone that would fit into life in Pine Bluff, AR.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Okay, sorry. I had to youtube Pine Bluff, AR. I just had to go take a look-see myself. Slap me twice and raise my rent, I had to SEE! And FWIW, nep, age 36 is not too old to relocate IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUwmmY1MF7g
can't rep you, so will just say: good video. It says and shows it all.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:10 AM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
36 is not too old to relocate: our daughter and son in law, relocated in their 50s and both got very good jobs. We moved from Los Angles area to the DC area in our early 40s and then, from there to Dallas in our early 50s. You can do anything you want with a positive attitude. I will still say, what I have been saying all along, you do not sound like someone that would fit into life in Pine Bluff, AR.
LOL - we put Alabam, Georgia and a bit of Europe between DC and DFW before making it to OK. With some neck straining I can sie three churches from the patio in OK. So far no one has invited me to go to church. If I remember OP's posts correctly just moving within what I call driving distance was a major event.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
I guess 36 is not too old to relocate, but seeing how I recently relocated to CT three months ago with a brand new job, I really need to stay put for about 4 more years to build stability on my resume. I'm 32 and already on my 6th job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or