U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:17 AM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
LOL - we put Alabam, Georgia and a bit of Europe between DC and DFW before making it to OK. With some neck straining I can sie three churches from the patio in OK. So far no one has invited me to go to church. If I remember OP's posts correctly just moving within what I call driving distance was a major event.
You have done the whole go around as well it seems. I often wonder what my dad would say if he were still alive. He was born in a small town in So OK and his sister was born in Vinita Ok. They left OK when he was a young child to relocate to Colorado. Eventually his family settled in So Calif. or many did. Now, here we are 100 years later back where it all began for his family. Actually moms as well. Only they started out in Kansas; small town. Some of her family is still there. Many moved to Colorado and onto So. California

As for the churches, we see them everywhere here, but many are small and as I mentioned most people don't push their religion down your throat like people would want us to believe.

We did have a funny thing happen when we were researching areas about 10 years ago. We were spending a couple days in Ft Smith area investigating the area. When we stopped for lunch at a Sizzlin Steak House, I think it was, I was going through the line a second time and remarked to the lady ahead of me how good the food was. She looked at me and said very seriously: "It is always good when God is with us" I wanted to say, oh, is he the chef today or something like that, but I caught myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I guess 36 is not too old to relocate, but seeing how I recently relocated to CT three months ago with a brand new job, I really need to stay put for about 4 more years to build stability on my resume. I'm 32 and already on my 6th job.
Yes you do: you sound like our grandson in law. He is doing very well, but does seem to jump from job to job a bit to often.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:23 AM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Quote:
I guess 36 is not too old to relocate, but seeing how I recently relocated to CT three months ago with a brand new job, I really need to stay put for about 4 more years to build stability on my resume. I'm 32 and already on my 6th job.
Probably a wise choice. I worked 50+ jobs and then retired from one that had nothing to do with my education or my likes. Out here in the boonies of OK, good jobs are hard to come by. I didn't just settle, I kept promoting due in large part to that college degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We did have a funny thing happen when we were researching areas about 10 years ago. We were spending a couple days in Ft Smith area investigating the area. When we stopped for lunch at a Sizzlin Steak House, I think it was, I was going through the line a second time and remarked to the lady ahead of me how good the food was. She looked at me and said very seriously: "It is always good when God is with us" I wanted to say, oh, is he the chef today or something like that, but I caught myself.
OMG. Shut the FFFFFFront door. (Not you, nmita) I hate it when people make a big deal about mouthing their faith. The best Christians I have ever met never mentioned a word about it. They simply lived it. And trust me, that little light shines brighter that way. <my soap box rant for the day>

I feel sorry for people looking for a place to live. We NDNs have roots that predate statehood and that makes Oklahoma home. We can live anywhere in the US, but Oklahoma is always home.

Last edited by _redbird_; 07-31-2016 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
LOL - we put Alabam, Georgia and a bit of Europe between DC and DFW before making it to OK. With some neck straining I can sie three churches from the patio in OK. So far no one has invited me to go to church. If I remember OP's posts correctly just moving within what I call driving distance was a major event.
Being pagan/wiccan and coming to a very christan state, I worried a bit about someone wanting to take me to church or other means of force feeding. But its never happened. People here have deep personal beliefs, but don't seem to be on a 'saving' bent. That's fine with me, but I wish they'd leave out arguments based on their religion about why you can't sell wine in a grocery store. I like a little wine once in a while.

When I left California, at least in the Riverside area there were these zelots who'd go to things like pagan classes and gatherings and start preaching. And as I wore my pent quite openly they'd just stop you and block your way and tell you all about why you must be saved. I just call them pests, pushing their view of the world wrongly. I was quite plesasently surprised it didn't happen here.

Not to say that people are open and tolerant, of course. This states got some work before you can say that. But I have never personally felt as if I was cornered.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Probably a wise choice. I worked 50+ jobs and then retired from one that had nothing to do with my education or my likes. Out here in the boonies of OK, good jobs are hard to come by. I didn't just settle, I kept promoting due in large part to that college degree.

OMG. Shut the FFFFFFront door. (Not you, nmita) I hate it when people make a big deal about mouthing their faith. The best Christians I have ever met never mentioned a word about it. They simply lived it. And trust me, that little light shines brighter that way. <my soap box rant for the day>

I feel sorry for people looking for a place to live. We NDNs have roots that predate statehood and that makes Oklahoma home. We can live anywhere in the US, but Oklahoma is always home.
My feelings as well: that is why I was tempted to come back with a smart ass comment. When we moved here, we did get asked from time to time if we had a home church or a church family yet, but no one shoved it down our throats. In fact we are involved in a pretty evangelical religion but I doubt any of us make a deal out of it.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:52 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Quote:
My feelings as well: that is why I was tempted to come back with a smart ass comment. When we moved here, we did get asked from time to time if we had a home church or a church family yet, but no one shoved it down our throats. In fact we are involved in a pretty evangelical religion but I doubt any of us make a deal out of it.
No one ever asks me about church. I guess they recognize I am beyond "saving" and my satanic devil worship horns will never be clipped.

<cue my evil laugh with echo sound effects>
Bwwaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'd be willing to bet no one ever asks Goodpasture either. Maybe it's because you look wholesome and nice and all that. I look like something that just came off skid row with my rusty zipper and yellow sneakers. They KNOW better.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:17 PM

14,650 posts, read 4,061,463 times
Quote:
Take it from me: you would be miserable in OK, especially one of the small towns. All you have to do is check out the political party of the elected officials, national and state. It is very much like AR.

Yes, parts of east OK is very pretty, much like AR, but parts of the state are more like western Texas, and Kansas, very flat with no scenery. The summers are hot and there are always the treat of tornados.

For many of us, living in parts of AR and Ok is heaven, for others it wouldn't be a good move. You may want to consider someplace like Eureka Springs and commuting into Benton county for work?
Well put. I couldn't agree more. I saw the thread title and the OP's user ID and my first thought was.......Whaaaat?

Old 07-31-2016, 04:24 PM

14,650 posts, read 4,061,463 times
Quote:
But Eureka Springs is even smaller than Poteau. Where's the logic??

I don't like living in populated places that are busy.

If I were to move to AR, I would probably go for Little Rock or Pine Bluff. Fayetteville seems too college oriented, which I can't stand. I hate college towns.
Look at your reply to Eddie Gein. and then do more reading about Eureka Springs. You'll then likely understand why Nita suggested Eureka Springs.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:32 PM

18,119 posts, read 8,145,654 times
Here's a suggestion from down here in the "desert", in SW Oklahoma... Medicine Park. Two of my employees live there, they love it there. Artsy, live-and-let-live, laid back. One says it's too liberal at times, but his politics are way right. Too bad it's so expensive, it's like the Sedona of Oklahoma.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-31-2016 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 06:12 PM

6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
A CD Poster located in Oklahoma about a year ago as best I can remember. He was searching the country for a place where he and his family could become pretty independent as in growing their own food, having enough land for cattle with remoteness from civilization but with good soil and water to help things grow. Price needed to be reasonable too I believe. After searching out West in NM and Utah and Arizona I believe he bought under 100 acreas in SE Oklahoma. He had no idea how much rain they got and how remote it was and reasonable priced too. Believe he bought up not too far from Talamena drive if my memory is working. Havent seen him back to report on how things are going but he did mention he was thrilled with his find when his family moved in. So there are some good reasons for remoteness to appeal. I think he had a job he could work from home with reasonable internet and the grow your own things might have been a back up plan as best I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or