U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:38 PM

8,286 posts, read 6,896,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Here's a suggestion from down here in the "desert", in SW Oklahoma... Medicine Park. Two of my employees live there, they love it there. Artsy, live-and-let-live, laid back. One says it's too liberal at times, but his politics are way right. Too bad it's so expensive, it's like the Sedona of Oklahoma.

Medicine Park IS really neat. One of the few places in the state that is truly unique and artsy. My problem with it is that it is tiny, tiny, tiny. You have to go to Lawton for just about everything. Fortunately Lawton and Elgin are close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 AM

11,415 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Eureka Springs is a very artsy, liberal, boutique town. Its very walkable, charming, and had a lot of character. Think of it like the Asheville or Santa Fe of Arkansas. You can't judge places on their size alone, especially smaller towns. Some are vastly different than others.

Nep should check it out. I think it would be his kind of place.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Medicine Park IS really neat. One of the few places in the state that is truly unique and artsy. My problem with it is that it is tiny, tiny, tiny. You have to go to Lawton for just about everything. Fortunately Lawton and Elgin are close by.
I always thought Medicine Creek and that whole area has a vibe to it. Much like Santa Fe did at one time. And I don't mean because it is an artsy-fartsy area. Does anyone else pick up on that?

There is a mammoth kill site near, not sure how close it is to present-day Medicine Park.

"At the end of the Ice Age, when winters were warmer and summers cooler, a Columbian mammoth wandered into a swampy slough at the bottom of a deep ravine in Caddo County. Weighing in at 10 tons, he stood some 14 feet tall. While he grazed on the lush marsh grasses, a family of prehistoric hunters, hidden downwind from the giant, quietly watched his movements. Slowly, so that the mammoth did not spook, the hunters rose. Their spears, launched with a throwing tool called the atlatl, flew with fierce power and felled the creature."

https://www.ou.edu/archsur/counties/caddo.htm

Old 08-01-2016, 11:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Eureka Springs is a very artsy, liberal, boutique town. Its very walkable, charming, and had a lot of character. Think of it like the Asheville or Santa Fe of Arkansas. You can't judge places on their size alone, especially smaller towns. Some are vastly different than others.

Nep should check it out. I think it would be his kind of place.
I already went to Eureka Springs. I liked it, but it seemed a little too crowded for me. I dont care for walkable places. i prefer places like Pine Bluff and Poteau.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I already went to Eureka Springs. I liked it, but it seemed a little too crowded for me. I dont care for walkable places. i prefer places like Pine Bluff and Poteau.
I would have a hard time recommending Poteau (or anywhere in the Ft Smith area) to anybody who identifies as LGBT. That region is especially hostile towards religious, cultural, and sexual minorities. Pine Bluff, as explained, may be an intriguing place but I would hardly recommend anybody move there as its a declining town without a lot of opportunity. That part of Arkansas is in the delta anyways and lacks the scenic beauty of western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma.

What about Hot Springs, Arkansas or somewhere in the NWA area? On the Oklahoma side, you might consider some of the exurbs of Tulsa. They have the feel of places like Poteau, yet are still close to Tulsa and all it offers.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 14,694,093 times
Quote:
I would have a hard time recommending Poteau (or anywhere in the Ft Smith area) to anybody who identifies as LGBT. That region is especially hostile towards religious, cultural, and sexual minorities. Pine Bluff, as explained, may be an intriguing place but I would hardly recommend anybody move there as its a declining town without a lot of opportunity. That part of Arkansas is in the delta anyways and lacks the scenic beauty of western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma.

What about Hot Springs, Arkansas or somewhere in the NWA area? On the Oklahoma side, you might consider some of the exurbs of Tulsa. They have the feel of places like Poteau, yet are still close to Tulsa and all it offers.
I have been to Hot Springs and though it was beautiful, but I thought the downtown was way too crowded and bustling. But overall it was a nice area.

And I personally like delta scenery that can be found in Pine Bluff.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:06 PM

143 posts, read 137,713 times
Dude wants to move to Pine Bluff.... nothing we say will convince him otherwise!

Last edited by Oklahomagirl74; 08-04-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomagirl74 View Post
Dude wants to move to Pine Bluff.... nothing we say will convince him otherwise!
Yeah. I mean, as somebody who loves to travel and loves to experience different parts of the U.S., there can be a certain charm to old towns far into their decline like Pine Bluff or Cairo, IL. It might even be fun to spend a weekend or so there, exploring the area, learning about its history, etc. But no way would I want to live in such a place.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:11 PM

143 posts, read 137,713 times
Quote:
Yeah. I mean, as somebody who loves to travel and loves to experience different parts of the U.S., there can be a certain charm to old towns far into their decline like Pine Bluff or Cairo, IL. It might even be fun to spend a weekend or so there, exploring the area, learning about its history, etc. But no way would I want to live in such a place.
Exactly!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:06 AM

6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The state has a real nice lodge on the lake at Beaver's Bend. I'd stay there.
There are a few fun places to eat there at Hochatown and a couple of ok places toward Broken Bow. It's about 40 or so miles to the Talimena drive. The Mountain Fork River at Smithville is worth a stop and the drive from Octavia to Neshoba and up to Talihina is really pretty. The Glover river is also real nice but a bit tougher to get to.

What is amazing is how different that area is from even the Durant area despite their proximity.
We are loving our trip and it's early into it. Spending the night in poteau then driving g thee talimena scenic drive to mena later today. Got an altimeter and saw nearly 1600 ft above sea level yesterday nd know we go higher today. Really pretty remote part of the world. These are mountains and amazed at how green things are this area gets as much rain as houston annually. Like poteau as well as antlers so far.thanmscd awesome drive and you guys sold me on going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or