U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 AM

505 posts, read 692,636 times

Advertisements

I noticed they are running the 2004 movie The Alamo (Billy Bob Thornton, Dennis Quaid, etc.) and I was wondering how the other states that were once part of Republic of Texas regard their shared Texas history.

The Republic of Texas included big pieces of Colorado and New Mexico and smaller pieces of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Wyoming.

How does your state view the Republic of Texas and the fact that part of your state was once part of this independent nation?

Do they celebrate Texas Independence day or even acknowledge it? Do they recognize Houston, Crockett, Austin, Bowie, Travis, Seguin etc.?

Here's a link to a map of the extents of the Republic of Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...quisitions.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 10:57 AM

8,286 posts, read 6,893,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I noticed they are running the 2004 movie The Alamo (Billy Bob Thornton, Dennis Quaid, etc.) and I was wondering how the other states that were once part of Republic of Texas regard their shared Texas history.

The Republic of Texas included big pieces of Colorado and New Mexico and smaller pieces of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Wyoming.

How does your state view the Republic of Texas and the fact that part of your state was once part of this independent nation?

Do they celebrate Texas Independence day or even acknowledge it? Do they recognize Houston, Crockett, Austin, Bowie, Travis, Seguin etc.?

Speaking for myself, I absolutely don't "celebrate" the Republic of Texas. I think people in Oklahoma are aware of much of the history and respect the history, but the rivalry between the states is way to big a thing.

As an Oklahoman, it gets old hearing Texas bloviating about how great Texas is and conversely how horrible Oklahoma is. And most of the things Texans say about Oklahoma are patently false.

From your map it appears that the only part of Oklahoma that was part of the "Republic" of Texas was the panhandle of Oklahoma which Texas ceded to the USA because it was north of the line where slavery was allowed.

The southwestern part of Oklahoma was also a part of the State of Texas (Greer County) until the 1880s when a lawsuit was settled that put that area into Oklahoma territory. Ironically I just drove through that part of Oklahoma. The town of Mangum WAS the capitol of Greer Co, Texas and is now the capitol of Greer, Co Oklahoma. They say you can still find a few references to Mangum, Tx down there.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,109,414 times
Texas? I never think about the State unless some idiot politician from Texas is in the news.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:12 PM

874 posts, read 1,430,406 times
Quote:

Very little of Oklahoma was in "The Republic of Texas", which was an artifice of a country anyway, just a way for the US to grab parts of Mexico on our push to the west. Just like we later forced Mexico into the Mexican-American war.

No one that I have ever heard of celebrates Texas Independence Day or anyone related to it, in fact, I didn't even know such a day existed.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:21 PM

18,918 posts, read 27,992,212 times
Not from Oklahoma but noticed you posted this in the Colorado forum, the Kansas forum, New Mexico forum, and in this one. In each forum, you got the same answer. Nobody cares and in two of those forums, the thread was locked. I don't even think people in Texas cares. Did you get the answers you were looking for?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:30 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Quote:

An Okie's Response: The Sooners spank the Steers on the football field, in the Big XII conference, and in national titles/perception/tradition.

'Nuff said.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 AM

32,738 posts, read 18,185,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
An Okie's Response: The Sooners spank the Steers on the football field, in the Big XII conference, and in national titles/perception/tradition.

'Nuff said.
And their feet stink!

Just kidding. TBH, I never gave it much thought. Texas' Independence Day is not something I even think about. There is a lot of cool history in Texas and even more so in the field of archeology. So I think more of Texas archeology than I do of it's statehood status.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 9,461,728 times
I'm a native Texan who has lived in Oklahoma for over 10 years. I couldn't even tell you when Texas Independence Day is. Other than it being something we discussed in elementary school I don't remember it ever being a big deal there either. Ironically, the only celebration of this day I ever attended was At someone's home in OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or