U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,380 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I have been to the Leflore County area in the past and absolutely fell in love with the area. Now 14 years later, with my husband being on SSD and I only work part time, we have finally decided to start a new life in the area. Hoping to either have a food truck business or small breakfast-lunch place to call our own. We have been food vendors at many fairs for the past 20 years in CT. Looking for small parcel of land that we can purchase and live in our RV until we can build our own home, our live in a mobile home. Or some place we can open our business and live in at the same time. I am having many issues finding where I can do this. If someone could direct me in the right direction to get answers that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:09 AM

18,119 posts, read 8,145,654 times
You may opt instead for Sebastian County across the border in Arkansas. Same terrain and climate, but Fort Smith may be more amenable to a food truck business... there is, further north, an area dedicated to food trucks just off Dickson Street in Fayetteville, sort of like Austin but much smaller. NW Arkansas is booming and while the property values (and costs) may be higher than Eastern Oklahoma, it might be a better fit with more festivals and fairs. Prairie Grove is one of the nicer communities and 15-20 minutes from Fayetteville.

My BIL and SIL are leaving Poteau for Durant, business move but they're happy about it, they don't much care for Poteau. The school system isn't nearly as good as it was in Tahlequah and they never really liked having to drive 45 minutes to Fort Smith for city amenities.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 08-17-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 AM

143 posts, read 137,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
You may opt instead for Sebastian County across the border in Arkansas. Same terrain and climate, but Fort Smith may be more amenable to a food truck business... there is, further north, an area dedicated to food trucks just off Dickson Street in Fayetteville, sort of like Austin but much smaller. NW Arkansas is booming and while the property values (and costs) may be higher than Eastern Oklahoma, it might be a better fit with more festivals and fairs. Prairie Grove is one of the nicer communities and 15-20 minutes from Fayetteville.

My BIL and SIL are leaving Poteau for Durant, business move but they're happy about it, they don't much care for Poteau. The school system isn't nearly as good as it was in Tahlequah and they never really liked having to drive 45 minutes to Fort Smith for city amenities.

I agree with this! While Leflore Co is gorgeous, I believe most of it is very rural and not sure a food truck would do well in a place like that. Fayetteville , AR is a charming and active college town that I'm sure you'd do very well in.

Best of luck!

Old 08-18-2016, 02:13 PM

8,285 posts, read 6,893,594 times
Before you give up on the idea, talk to some folks at the Poteau chamber of commerce. It might be possible to find a business that would allow you to put your truck on their property to attract business to them.

Poteau is plenty big enough for a food truck, basically has only one street running through it (other than downtown) so your exposure would be great. It wouldn't take a week before everybody in the area knew you were there.

Kim McConnell I think is the editor and publisher of the local paper (Poteau Daily News). That would be a good resource for you.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,380 times
Thank for all the great info. Eddie, I was kinda thinking the same, This would also mean not that much competition.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 AM

18,119 posts, read 8,145,654 times
I just got back from Poteau from my niece's birthday (2 years, so it was more for adults) and my SIL invited some of here neighbors over. I found out some things about the area for the OP that may help. First, two different, unrelated people said that while they liked the area, it was hard to fit in because so many families are entrenched in the area immediately around Poteau. If you're not from there, you aren't unwelcome but the welcome mat isn't out, either. That's not unique to Poteau, however.

As far as the food truck idea goes, I was surprised when my SIL, BIL, and several of the guests all said that Poteau already has not one, but five food trucks. One does burgers, one BBQ, and the others all do Mexican variations. The latter do well because there is a sizable and growing Hispanic population in Leflore County. There were two others but they either failed or moved, one was Asian and one was, as someone said, "Austin-weird", as in eclectic and imaginative, maybe too much so for small-town OK. However, this summer Poteau's largest non-government, non-educational employer, Kenco Plastics, shut down its Poteau operations, resulting in the loss of over 200 manufacturing jobs, adding to the loss of jobs when Tiger Trucks closed the manufacturing operations (there are still about 25-30 jobs there for Tiger). Suggestions from the locals for where someone could succeed with a food truck, apart from the Fayetteville/UofA area, included Fort Smith (which is still reeling from the loss of Whirlpool's plant four years ago and its couple thousand jobs), Van Buren (which has a really nice downtown area) and McAlester.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:44 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,972,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I just got back from Poteau from my niece's birthday (2 years, so it was more for adults) and my SIL invited some of here neighbors over. I found out some things about the area for the OP that may help. First, two different, unrelated people said that while they liked the area, it was hard to fit in because so many families are entrenched in the area immediately around Poteau. If you're not from there, you aren't unwelcome but the welcome mat isn't out, either. That's not unique to Poteau, however.

As far as the food truck idea goes, I was surprised when my SIL, BIL, and several of the guests all said that Poteau already has not one, but five food trucks. One does burgers, one BBQ, and the others all do Mexican variations. The latter do well because there is a sizable and growing Hispanic population in Leflore County. There were two others but they either failed or moved, one was Asian and one was, as someone said, "Austin-weird", as in eclectic and imaginative, maybe too much so for small-town OK. However, this summer Poteau's largest non-government, non-educational employer, Kenco Plastics, shut down its Poteau operations, resulting in the loss of over 200 manufacturing jobs, adding to the loss of jobs when Tiger Trucks closed the manufacturing operations (there are still about 25-30 jobs there for Tiger). Suggestions from the locals for where someone could succeed with a food truck, apart from the Fayetteville/UofA area, included Fort Smith (which is still reeling from the loss of Whirlpool's plant four years ago and its couple thousand jobs), Van Buren (which has a really nice downtown area) and McAlester.
Did ya'll see the pink one in the downtown area? It's actually more of a stationary trailer right next to an authentic Mexican joint. I think the pink trailer serves burgers, fries, & shakes. Never stopped in there but usually when I go by there's a person or two chowin' down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or