U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2016, 02:29 PM
 
Location: United States of Jerry Falwell
11,414 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Reputation: 9282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It does not matter what Tuesday brings. An individual is entitled to his/her opinion and voicing that opinion.

If high alcohol beer 24/7 and upscale shopping is of such importance to you - ...
Believe me, I am moving whenever I can. It's just not easy to just quit my job, up and move. People on City-Data act like it is, but it's one of the most difficult things to accomplish unless you are getting a job transfer.

I can live without upscale shopping (OKC is a small city and even though for its size it should offer more, it can't be expected to have the kind of shopping major cities do anyways). It is however, as somebody who doesn't share the majority worldview, hard to live in an environment that is this conservative and where the state government is basically a strong arm of the Southern Baptist church. I mean, it's hard to believe that other states are legalizing marijuana while Oklahoma is still debating something a majority of the country moved past in 1932...85 years ago. At the current rate, I don't believe I am being hyperbolic to say Oklahoma is probably 50 years from legal marijuana.

It's not just about having the luxury and convenience of buying a cold beer and buying it after 9PM, something people in 48 other states are baffled is still an issue in this country when they learn of Oklahoma's laws. Those laws, and the fact so many here defend them as protecting the moral fabric of Oklahoma, are a part of the greater mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2016, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
8,286 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Reputation: 7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

The big brewers (Miller-Coors, Anheuser-Busch) water down their products which usually range from 4.1% to 6% depending on the beer to 3.2% alcohol to sell in Oklahoma and Utah.
Groan, once again your post is inaccurate. The "big brewers" typical product is approximately 4.2% alcohol by volume. The "3.2%" beer sold in Oklahoma is alcohol by weight. When converted to alcohol by volume, 3.2 beer is actually 4 %. So there really isn't a whole lot of difference. It's like it would take 7 Oklahoma beers to achieve the same blood level alcohol as a six pack of "6.0" beer.

However craft beers do come with higher alcohol by volume and are only available at the liquor store (non refrigerated) and you have a legitimate point.

but I always laugh when some bozo goes on a tirade about 3.2 beer and cracks open a Bud or a Coors from Texas.

And BTW, 3.2 beer is sold in Colorado. You know, that legalized pot state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2016, 04:01 PM
 
Location: United States of Jerry Falwell
11,414 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Reputation: 9282
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Groan, once again your post is inaccurate. The "big brewers" typical product is approximately 4.2% alcohol by volume. The "3.2%" beer sold in Oklahoma is alcohol by weight. When converted to alcohol by volume, 3.2 beer is actually 4 %. So there really isn't a whole lot of difference. It's like it would take 7 Oklahoma beers to achieve the same blood level alcohol as a six pack of "6.0" beer.

However craft beers do come with higher alcohol by volume and are only available at the liquor store (non refrigerated) and you have a legitimate point.

but I always laugh when some bozo goes on a tirade about 3.2 beer and cracks open a Bud or a Coors from Texas.

And BTW, 3.2 beer is sold in Colorado. You know, that legalized pot state.
People defending 3.2 beer almost always compare the light lagers i.e. Bud Light, Coors Light with their full strength versions, but it's a much bigger difference when talking full strength beers. Stuff like Blue Moon, Shiner, Stella Artois, and even full strength Bud. While with a side by side taste comparison of Coors Light you might not be able to tell which is the 3.2 version and which is the real version, you definitely can with any of the beers I mentioned above.

Colorado is currently in the process of phasing out 3.2 beer, but it hasn't been a huge thing up there for a long time. Their liquor stores have much less restricted hours than in Oklahoma and they are allowed to chill their product. I think only about 10% of the 3.2 beer produced is consumed in Colorado. Oklahoma is over 50% and Utah is about 25%.

Anyways, two more days and we will see if common sense will finally prevail in Oklahoma and the state can move past these ridiculous laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 AM
 
32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Reputation: 35406
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Believe me, I am moving whenever I can. It's just not easy to just quit my job, up and move. People on City-Data act like it is, but it's one of the most difficult things to accomplish unless you are getting a job transfer.

I can live without upscale shopping (OKC is a small city and even though for its size it should offer more, it can't be expected to have the kind of shopping major cities do anyways). It is however, as somebody who doesn't share the majority worldview, hard to live in an environment that is this conservative and where the state government is basically a strong arm of the Southern Baptist church. I mean, it's hard to believe that other states are legalizing marijuana while Oklahoma is still debating something a majority of the country moved past in 1932...85 years ago. At the current rate, I don't believe I am being hyperbolic to say Oklahoma is probably 50 years from legal marijuana.

It's not just about having the luxury and convenience of buying a cold beer and buying it after 9PM, something people in 48 other states are baffled is still an issue in this country when they learn of Oklahoma's laws. Those laws, and the fact so many here defend them as protecting the moral fabric of Oklahoma, are a part of the greater mindset.
Good post, bawac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 05:06 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 2,279,305 times
Reputation: 9572
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Strong beer or wine can not be sold at any 7-11. The only beer allowed to be sold in stores, like 7-11, can't have any more than 3.2% alcohol. Liquor stores do not sell 3.2% beer. They can sell anything stronger that that all the way up to Everclear, but nothing is allowed to be sold chilled.

Since prohibition was repealed in the 1930s, the Baptists had believed that Oklahomans could not handle having easy access to anything stronger than 3.2% beer. But since 1959, heavy bans on alcohol have slowly been falling. In 1984, Baptists, or at least big city Baptists, decided that Oklahoma was finally mature enough to handle liquor by the drink, but only if any counties wanted it. To this day, though, close to a 24 out of 77 counties still fear they can't handle liquor by the drink, so it remains banned. So if you go in one of their Mexican restaurants and order a Margarita, the waiter will look at you like you're an idiot.
I suspect they fear YOU can't handle liquor by the drink. I can see their point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It does not matter what Tuesday brings. An individual is entitled to his/her opinion and voicing that opinion.

If high alcohol beer 24/7 and upscale shopping is of such importance to you - ...
And they are most certainly entitled to their vote.


At least for most of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Crappyville,PA
393 posts, read 311,679 times
Reputation: 541
Really? I spent 10 weeks in McAlester last year, it's one of the most conservative towns I have visited in recent memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2016, 12:21 AM
 
Location: United States of Jerry Falwell
11,414 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Reputation: 9282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Really? I spent 10 weeks in McAlester last year, it's one of the most conservative towns I have visited in recent memory.
That part of the state has a lot of what used to be Southern Democrats and they used to vote blue, as recently as the 2000 election. They are very socially conservative though and they are Republicans today.

In 2016, Oklahoma is probably the only state that doesn't have any sizable liberal areas. Even North Dakota had a couple of blue counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2016, 06:54 AM
 
14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Reputation: 22974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
That part of the state has a lot of what used to be Southern Democrats and they used to vote blue, as recently as the 2000 election. They are very socially conservative though and they are Republicans today.

In 2016, Oklahoma is probably the only state that doesn't have any sizable liberal areas. Even North Dakota had a couple of blue counties.
Any jobs in ND?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,019 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Anyways, two more days and we will see if common sense will finally prevail in Oklahoma and the state can move past these ridiculous laws.
SQ 592 passed quite well. Only 5 counties nixed it and in 4 of them the vote was close. Possibly more surprising is that Oklahoma County is the least Republican voting county in the state when it comes to voting for president. Only around 51.7% of the people voted in favor of Trump there. Maybe Oklahoma County is headed blue in 2020. If Republicans at the State Capitol continue to believe in the need to drive state government further to the ground, it could help drive it blue.

I think most people are for the most part happy with how all the state questions turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top