Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

This map is funny for showing why people hate Stillwater and don't want to live there. Heck, there is more to it than hardly any decent paying jobs there and lack of good shopping and eats:

A Judgmental map of Oklahoma State University - The Black SheepThe Black Sheep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:46 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Oh Come Off It Everybody Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
This map is funny for showing why people hate Stillwater and don't want to live there. Heck, there is more to it than hardly any decent paying jobs there and lack of good shopping and eats:

A Judgmental map of Oklahoma State University - The Black SheepThe Black Sheep

Oh Come Off It Everybody Knows that Stillwater Oklahoma/OSU was thrown under the Bus , the Train , the Plane and the Cruise Ship by OU/Boomer - Sooners from the great City Of Norman Oklahoma.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Oh Come Off It Everybody Knows that Stillwater Oklahoma/OSU was thrown under the Bus , the Train , the Plane and the Cruise Ship by OU/Boomer - Sooners from the great City Of Norman Oklahoma.
At least things are considered to be going well with Stillwater's new passenger jet service from American Eagle with two daily flights to and from Dallas started last summer. High school athletes from northern Texas wanting to check out playing for OSU are only 2 1/2 miles from Pickens stadium after landing at the Stillwater airport. If they want to go check out OU, it's a 22 mile drive from the Oklahoma City airport.

John Klein: Want to get to DFW? You can now fly out of Stillwater - Aerospace - TulsaWorld

Old 10-05-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Howest2008

Quote:
At least things are considered to be going well with Stillwater's new passenger jet service from American Eagle with two daily flights to and from Dallas started last summer. High school athletes from northern Texas wanting to check out playing for OSU are only 2 1/2 miles from Pickens stadium after landing at the Stillwater airport. If they want to go check out OU, it's a 22 mile drive from the Oklahoma City airport.

John Klein: Want to get to DFW? You can now fly out of Stillwater - Aerospace - TulsaWorld

LOL.....I wonder which Rivalry is greater OU/TEXASS or OU/OSU , get your popcorn everybody.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:34 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
LOL.....I wonder which Rivalry is greater OU/TEXASS or OU/OSU , get your popcorn everybody.

Personally, I like OU, and I have respect for their football program, but do not care for Coach Bob Stoops. Or his brother. But I love Norman. Stoolwater is too small for me. I will have to go with OU.

It's weird, I know. I never liked Coach Roy Williams when he coached KU basketball, but I loved their basketball program back in the day.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Personally, I like OU, and I have respect for their football program, but do not care for Coach Bob Stoops. Or his brother. But I love Norman. Stoolwater is too small for me. I will have to go with OU.

Yeah, that ranks well up there to explain why so many people don't want to live in Stillwater, even though Oklahoma City and Tulsa are an hour away. What does Stillwater need to do to not be so small? Open an enclosed shopping mall, along with a decent new movie theater?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:52 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
I didn't answer your question very well. I perceive OU vs OSU as a big brother/favorite child vs the red-headed, freckle-faced step child rivalry. And I perceive OU vs UT as more of a blood feud. At least it was when both OU and Texas were worthy opponents.

Kind of like KS State vs KU. KSU was belittled by Jayhawkers and called Silo Tech. LOL And some people take that rivalry way too seriously IMO. But I met a ton of great people and made a LOT of friends while at KSU. I even keep in touch with one of my professors from KSU.

Quote:
Yeah, that ranks well up there to explain why so many people don't want to live in Stillwater, even though Oklahoma City and Tulsa are an hour away. What does Stillwater need to do to not be so small? Open an enclosed shopping mall, along with a decent new movie theater?
IMO, Stillwater does not NEED to do anything or be anything other than what it is, and if people don't like it, they don't have to live there. It is what it is, don't try and change it or it won't be Stillwater anymore. I thought Manhattan, KS was getting too big when I left back in the 90s. It was losing that small town feel and becoming congested.

I don't believe in saying Stillwater or any other city needs to be this or that simply because I like rural vs small town or whatever. I like Norman because it has more to offer someone like me. But I would never live in a city, but I would like to live closer to a city.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:49 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I don't get the Stillwater hate other than the rivalry. Stillwater is a nice enough place. Nothing special but nice enough. It doesn't have the charm of a Manhattan, KS or an Ames, IA but it is very similar to those places.

Norman is the same way. Very much like Lawrence, Boulder, Fayetteville, but not quite as nice. Both Norman and
Stillwater hold up well around campus but the rest of town isn't all that great in either place.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:42 PM

Default I Haven't Been To Either Stillwater Or Normal In A Long Time

I Haven't Been To Either Stillwater Or Normal ( My Bad...Norman Oklahoma ) In A Long Time , so let me do a little current research thorough Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stillwater,_Oklahoma

Images....
https://www.google.com/search?q=stil...sEDIIQ_AUICCgD

Normal....oop's Norman OK.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman,_Oklahoma

Images......
https://www.google.com/search?q=Norm...ICCgD&dpr=1.75

Old 10-06-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't get the Stillwater hate other than the rivalry. Stillwater is a nice enough place. Nothing special but nice enough. It doesn't have the charm of a Manhattan, KS or an Ames, IA but it is very similar to those places.

Norman is the same way. Very much like Lawrence, Boulder, Fayetteville, but not quite as nice. Both Norman and
Stillwater hold up well around campus but the rest of town isn't all that great in either place.
It hadn't been all that nice around OSU. It helped that OSU bought out the large student ghetto just to the north of campus. Helping to fill in the student housing gap created are two new large apartment complexes just to the south of campus. That should work to help businesses do better on the strip and along W. 6th St., including the new Sprouts store soon to open. At least Stillwater is big enough to attract Sprouts. If Stillwater keeps growing, it will get other chain stores typically found in OKC and Tulsa metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma