U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:48 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,545,449 times

Advertisements

Get the man a toaster!

Yer right, _redbird_...which is why we have tried to downsize so much. Just carting crap through life is not what we want to do. We have made many, many moves with the largest moving trucks, etc., as I've said.

I think one factor for us is, and I am sure I've mentioned this before, we left upstate NY for Oregon back in 2009 and put almost all we had in a storage unit in NY. All we took to Oregon was clothes, towels, some kitchen and bathroom items...that's about it. Just what fit in a couple of small cars, then four of us and our dog.

Our intention was to go back to new York within the year after we moved and get everything out of storage, but there was a flood in late 2010 that wiped out the storage facility. We lost everything. 98% of everything everyone in my family owned.

It sucked at the time, and we list some nice things, including a bunch of stuff my wife had just inherited from her grandparents. But you know, in the intervening time, we've come to see it as a backhanded blessing. I do still at times mourn the loss of the letters and notes my wife and I wrote in our early days together, family photos, drawings my children did (which I archived well) and those kinds of personal things there is no way to replace. But it was pretty easy and quick to realize "Meh, it's just stuff."

Of course we had to replace some things and it's astonishing how quickly you acquire more stuff. If you'd seen our house a few months back before we started offloading crud, you'd never know that just 5-6 years prior we were reduced to very very few possessions.

Now we are getting back to that, and it is just freeing. For one thing, the less clutter there is and general crap to worry about, find a place for, etc., the more my brain feels calm.

We just realized that, for us, there is zero need and not much interest in "things." Certain things you need, sure. But just having things because "this is cool!" or "this represents memories" or whatever....all it would do is weight us down.

To be honest, I'd love to get back to where I could live out of, and travel with, nothing but a backpack and a couple of other bags--able to carry all I owned on my back and shoulders, but it's not realistic to reduce everything down that far. For one thing, my wife and I are musicians and though we've sold off everything else and gone to acoustic-only so there's no need for amps, cords, cables, etc., we still have a couple of guitars...other assorted things you need when you have a family...

But we can bygod (and are in the process of) getting to where everything can fit easily into a good sized trailer...to where we can completely move everything from one place to another in a very short time and in very few loads.

We've even gotten things organized to the point where we know which couple of boxes we'd take each and which we'd leave behind if we had to bug out real quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:06 PM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Remember to close and LOCK the Uhaul back door!

I kind of envy you. If I had the bank, and I mean serious bank, I would move. But I would always move back to Oklahoma since this is where I have the strongest ties.

I wonder if we passed the hat, would you mind taking a few CD people with you? We need to relocate Howest from Tulsa. I think he stole my toaster.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:32 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Well, our latest Oklahoma Experiment is due to end soon I believe.

I haven't been on this part of the forum much of late, but anyone who's seen me post much knows my family and I have something of a love/hate relationship with this state.

I have spent more of my life in Oklahoma than anywhere else, but I have traveled a great deal and just in the 20 years my wife and I have been married, we've lived in a half dozen states. At least my kids are adaptable!

Many years ago I did a lot of bad-mouthing of Oklahoma. As I've gotten older and seen and experienced more, I've come to realize that there is a good deal to recommend about Oklahoma (if you leave out our legislators at least!)

Over the years I have frequently said "I'm leaving this state and I don't plan to ever live here again!"

But I end up back, for one reason or another.

Last time, we were out of state from 2005 to 2013, then moved back again. it hasn't been bad. I do like a lot of things about Oklahoma.

The main reason we are moving (again) is that we have come to realize--as individuals, as a couple and as a family (though my children are nearly grown and one is already out of the nest for the most part)--we are just nomads. Possessed of restless, wandering spirits.

it's taken some time to come to full awareness of this. I spent my entire life (nearly 50 years) moving every 2 or 3 years. My father, too, was apparently a roaming gypsy. My wife grew up for the most part in Norman, but once she and I threw our lots in with each other, we haven't really stopped rambling for long. And it works for us.

Sure, we don't have a lot to show for it, aside from having lived in so many parts of the country. It would have served us better financially (or I reckon it may well have, anyway) if we had stayed put, put down roots, if I'd remained at the same job for the long haul.

But I know I am just not built that way. We used to talk and dream of owning our own home, possibly some land. Of truly settling down. Well, earlier this year, while looking at house listings and revisiting the dream of home-ownership, we suddenly looked at each other and simultaneously thought: "Why?"

We've always been happiest when we've been on the move. Traveling, or moving to a new place. Yes, the novelty and excitement of a new place wears off after a time, but we seriously thought about it and concluded that we are just not the kind of people who do well when we feel "trapped" or "stuck."

I may never have equity or the major investment (for better or worse) that owning property brings with it, but I'm also not chained to paying a bank for 30 years for the privilege of them basically leasing a house to us until the mortgage is paid off. And I can pick up and move pretty much whenever I want.

We've spent the past few months paring down our belongings. it's been nice to divest ourselves of "stuff." It's amazing what you find you can really live without. We lost 98% of everything we owned in a flood in late 2010, and none of us are very materialistic anyway. I'd rather live and experience as much as possible as opposed to owning things. And having to have a place to house them. We have decided to be as mobile as possible.

In all likelihood, we will be moving out of Oklahoma before the end of the year. I still have many friends and family members here, so we will be back. But I think this is going to be permanent.

Since we will, it seems, be lifelong renters, there's little point in getting bogged down with a lot of belongings. Henceforth, we shall travel light. We'll be able to "bug out" quickly.

Ideally, and we've discussed this at length, we might be in a position at some point to get a sturdy truck and a nice 30' camper trailer or something. We might still do some apartment or small home renting and living, but if we had a set up like that, we would always have a roof over our heads. and I think this will be do-able for us a little ways down the road. Until then (and even THEN, depending on our situation) I will find new work, new living circumstances as inexpensively as possible, and just stay in a place as long as we like it, then move on.

But I doubt we'll ever be Oklahoma residents again. We are 180 degrees apart from the prevailing political and religious climate of most Oklahomans, but that's not a big deal to us. We are essentially apolitical and irreligious and I am great friends with many people who don't in any way share my views on politics and spirituality. I don't have to see eye to eye with a person to love them and have mutual benefit from knowing them. There's great value in interacting with and learning from people who AREN'T like you, in fact. Or so I feel.

Really, I think my biggest issue with Oklahoma is its landlocked nature.

In the past several years, we lived first on the East Coast, then the West Coast, of the US. I miss the ocean terribly. So our plan is to get ourselves back near the Big Water. And we do have a pretty solid plan.

I have enjoyed speaking with the folks here on the OK Forum and expect I'll still drop in here from time to time in the future, to ask questions, make comments and lurk. There are certainly things I will miss and people I will miss. But as I've said so often in my life: it's time to move on. Light out for the territories...
Prayers & Godspeed, Griffis!

You know you'll always have a home here in Oklahoma.

Please come back to this forum often to tell us of your adventures. Old people like RedBird (*cough* and myself) need to live vicariously through others.

Take care and many well-wishes, Friend.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:37 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Remember to close and LOCK the Uhaul back door!

I kind of envy you. If I had the bank, and I mean serious bank, I would move. But I would always move back to Oklahoma since this is where I have the strongest ties.

I wonder if we passed the hat, would you mind taking a few CD people with you? We need to relocate Howest from Tulsa. I think he stole my toaster.
For Pete's Sake, RB! Give this Redneck toaster a try!.....we are, in fact, in Oklahoma. I'm surprised there's not some duck tape and bailin' wire used too.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:51 AM

32,738 posts, read 18,188,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
For Pete's Sake, RB! Give this Redneck toaster a try!.....we are, in fact, in Oklahoma. I'm surprised there's not some duck tape and bailin' wire used too.
That stove is wayyyyy too clean to be a "real" Okie oven.

I wonder if bawac needs a lift out of town? The road to happiness begins with one ride from Griffis' party bus.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:19 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,110,692 times
Hi Griffis,

As I said before, you are the reason we are in Tahlequah. While you bashed Oklahoma, you had good words for Tahlequah.

We had spent a few years traveling in a trailer. My husband and I wanted to be gypsies, and so we were. Went from one State to another, he would get a construction job, then when we were tired of the area, we would move.

Like you we love the ocean, but I don't see how we could afford to live near it again unless we sold our home and got another trailer. We are both tired of trailer life. But the humidity this year has also gotten to us. Too old now to move anyway. California is the only place that has a nice ocean, but it is also crowded. If we had our choice it would be Morro Bay.

Still, I am glad that we took your advice and moved here. I have a lot of open minded friends, and this is a great community. It is also beautiful, not flat, not a bad looking town, has a college, and rivers and lakes nearby.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or