U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5450

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Because she falls into the gap created when Oklahoma declined to expand Medicare.

Stop voting for legislators and a governor that don't give a crap about you.
That's good advice. When you're poor and/or in less than good health, don't expect legislators to understand your problems, especially if they're well off and in great health as most of them are. Such legislators sure tend to feel the need to make the already well off, more so, though. Maybe it would pay to elect candidates in wheel chairs, if you have serious health issues. Hardly any of them want to run, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2016, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Politicians in Oklahoma are either friends of the Oil people, or true red politics believers. There are people in Oklahoma who don't vote for them, but not enough to overcome that and the religious vote. Unlike some other states which are having their heavy fundamentalistic religion and far right politics diluted by many outsiders, Oklahoma isn't one. Maybe they were afraid more people who don't like the establishment would move in so they made it harder to make it.

I do love some of the things about Oklahoma. But not the jokers in the state government or the politics.

My son wants to have me move in near he and family in Utah. I want to but then I OWN a house here. That's about the only thing which makes me really consider staying. Utah is now a state with a large migration to from other areas and growing diversity. OK is not going to grow if people from elsewhere who might not like the way it is are not made welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2016, 02:26 PM
 
14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Reputation: 22974
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Politicians in Oklahoma are either friends of the Oil people, or true red politics believers. There are people in Oklahoma who don't vote for them, but not enough to overcome that and the religious vote. Unlike some other states which are having their heavy fundamentalistic religion and far right politics diluted by many outsiders, Oklahoma isn't one. Maybe they were afraid more people who don't like the establishment would move in so they made it harder to make it.

I do love some of the things about Oklahoma. But not the jokers in the state government or the politics.

My son wants to have me move in near he and family in Utah. I want to but then I OWN a house here. That's about the only thing which makes me really consider staying. Utah is now a state with a large migration to from other areas and growing diversity. OK is not going to grow if people from elsewhere who might not like the way it is are not made welcome.
Houses can be sold and bought unlike family. We have been here since 11/2015 and I see a lot of building (residential and commercial) and a lot of newcomers to OK are all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Houses can be sold and bought unlike family. We have been here since 11/2015 and I see a lot of building (residential and commercial) and a lot of newcomers to OK are all over.
It's mostly only OKC and Tulsa metros doing good, especially the suburbs. Most of the rest of Oklahoma has slowly been going downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2016, 05:38 AM
 
14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Reputation: 22974
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's mostly only OKC and Tulsa metros doing good, especially the suburbs. Most of the rest of Oklahoma has slowly been going downhill.
And that means selling a home to move closer to family is an impossibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 07:11 PM
 
55 posts, read 173,214 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
She would qualify for Healthy Indiana Plan. FSSA - HIP: Federal Poverty Level Income Chart

I am on it and I pay 2% of my income monthly for a premium (which they call a "power account payment"). If she has zero income, her power account payment would be a $1 a month, unless she wanted to go on Basic, which is $0. The Plus plan (which is where the 2% comes in) also covers vision and dental.

FYI, I am an Oklahoma transplant to Indiana. I would not move back to Oklahoma if my life depended on it.
This is a totally different state. What you posted has to do with Indiana. She lives in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post
This is a totally different state. What you posted has to do with Indiana. She lives in Oklahoma.
Just before I was dropped, there was a drop in state revinues, and all the agencies were cut, including food stamps and Sooner care. If you got food stamps and were borderline, you lost them. If you had soonercare, same deal. And while funding had been varied, the standard wasn't reset again.

Don't be poor in Ok, since you don't count. The flip side is if you do make enough, you can buy houses cheap and the taxes are low. You just don't get much for your money. And when your house needs work from quakes, they say get insurence. If you can't afford insurence, its your bad luck. At least the citizens trying to do something about the quakes by doing something about the injection wells are making an effect of sorts finally.

I'll be relieved to get on medicare in half a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 09:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 781 times
Reputation: 11
I was born and raised in SE Oklahoma and moved back after I got out of the military and raised my children there. I watched that part of the state slowly collapse economically and finally realized that my best option was to just leave. I moved to Texas and never looked back. If you are willing to live on welfare, the by all means Oklahoma is the place to be. The tax system seems to be geared in that direction. I was back recently to visit and was appalled at the town that I grew up in. No, there is no reason that I would want to return. On the other side, it an absolutely beautiful part of the world-I just wish that it was not so poor. I remember growing up that it was prosperous-now it is just crushing poverty. The median income in Hugo is listed here is only $23k plus-heck my SS is more that that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2016, 06:22 AM
 
14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Reputation: 22974
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post
This is a totally different state. What you posted has to do with Indiana. She lives in Oklahoma.
you posted that she would be moving up there to be with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 AM
 
55 posts, read 173,214 times
Reputation: 24
Yeah but I'm not in Indiana. Also, the move won't be anytime soon. I don't have a place for her to stay, nor do I have the funds to take care of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top