Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 10:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And that means selling a home to move closer to family is an impossibility?
It's not the selling but that what I'd get here wouldn't buy something that was mine there. I don't really mind moving, even look forward to it, but I need space and too much family togetherness is not going to work. The current idea would be a basement apartment. I just have to be assured that it is my territory and mine alone, and that if I'm in an 'alone' mode, I get left that way. I'm just not sure the mix of him and her and her family will get that. I can lock my door here and not be bothered unless its my choice.

I still may if everything which comes up here lately is an ordeal to get done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 04:16 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's not the selling but that what I'd get here wouldn't buy something that was mine there. I don't really mind moving, even look forward to it, but I need space and too much family togetherness is not going to work. The current idea would be a basement apartment. I just have to be assured that it is my territory and mine alone, and that if I'm in an 'alone' mode, I get left that way. I'm just not sure the mix of him and her and her family will get that. I can lock my door here and not be bothered unless its my choice.

I still may if everything which comes up here lately is an ordeal to get done.
Given a bit more information - I understand your concerns. Every detail has to be discussed and agreed on before D-Day. It is not Oklahoma but a personal situation. I really hope it will work out to everyone's benefit.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:06 PM

226 posts, read 267,661 times
Quote:
Does she fall into one of the qualifying categories?
https://www.okhca.org/individuals.as...=40&parts=7453
The violence and deteriorating conditions here where I have lived in Missouri for 25 years force me to seriously consider once again a change which would be daunting at my age to take on alone moving somewhere knowing no one.

I'm wondering if these guidelines are more or less the same or if the are more restrictive in the intervening years? I have two issues mainly - a place to live and also medical care. These two things along with groceries take everything I have in Missouri.

A year or so I was thinking about a move to Oklahoma - relocating from where I live now in Kansas City, Missouri but ended up not pursuing it. Not because the needs I had back then have gone away or the conditions where I live improved.

Anyway I've finally realized that due to my income I am in a losing category in Missouri and Kansas my home state is no better. Since I was here considering Oklahoma before I have found that I do not make enough per month to qualify to rent even a nice/modest 2-br in a seniors retirement community (not one of those fancy ones that all the privileged upper crust of society go to) that is basically just a quiet place to live in reasonable safety and comfort. In Missouri, though you can only make X number of dollars because of income restrictions limiting how much you make. I am definitely well under that figure and qualify but conversely I can't rent there because I don't make enough. I have determined that I don't make enough in Missouri to rent anything other than a run down shanty infested with cockroaches most likely (I must make at least 2.5 times the monthly rent)

So that's what lead me to return to my consideration of Oklahoma. In Missouri I managed to fall between the cracks making a little too much to qualify for help but not enough to make it on my own.

Anyway things would take a more positive turn here in Oklahoma. I have found seniors residences that rent for around half of what they cost in Missouri and even more a difference in Kansas. And unlike Missouri I have the income to qualify since the rents are lower (you must make 2.5 times the rent figure per month to qualify) I find that in Oklahoma my funds are sufficient to rent the basic 2-br rental - a w/d hookup is essential to me and with an attached garage in somewhere like Paul's Valley or Prague are the two places off the top of my head.

Then I saw this thread and if the guidelines are more or less the same this would be an additional life-saver/blessing for me - the medical aspect.

So that's why I'm wondering if anyone knows the current figures to qualify for someone over 65? If they are about the same then it would be a tremendous help. The medical assistance issue could be the tie-breaker? Thank you for any information you can share.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:34 AM

Americngrl - the link gives you the complete contact address unter 'contact us'.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
I wouldn't advise anyone move to Oklahoma, unless they're able to fully support themselves. This is because the political mindset at the state capitol is that it's very important to pass bills to make the already well off more so. (There is still a lot of faith in trickle down economics among Oklahoma Republicans.) So you're not going to see any bills proposed tilted toward helping the poor, such as reducing or eliminating the state sales tax on groceries. Most states don't tax food. Also the political mindset at the capitol is that the government should do little to help people, because it only encourages depending on the government for your needs. So no more expansion of Medicaid. The state will be short again on funds next year. Programs that help the poor will surely be targeted for further cuts. Hopefully, that political mindset won't reflect how it is at home on election day in November. Incumbent Republicans at the state capitol need voted the hell out of there.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:32 PM

55 posts, read 198,505 times
My girlfriend can't even get the help she needs. She has asthma and needs inhailers but can't afford them. She's in the Durant area.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post
My girlfriend can't even get the help she needs. She has asthma and needs inhailers but can't afford them. She's in the Durant area.
Sorry to hear that. But as former Republican Oklahoma Sen. Coburn told a tearful woman at a town hall meeting, whose sick husband needed help with medical care, people should ask for help from their neighbors when need help like that. Coburn is a doctor. Another doctor in the Oklahoma legislature tried to cut state funding for poor people who need medical care. So not even some Oklahoma doctors see the need for the government to help poor, sick people who may desperately need it.

FROM THAT TOWN HALL MEETING:
Woman: Senator Coburn we need help. My husband has traumatic head injury. His insurance will not cover him to eat and drink. And what I need to know is, are you going to help him, where he can eat and drink? We left the nursing home and they told us we're on our own. He left with a feeding tube. I've been working with him, but I'm not a speech pathologist, a professional, that takes six years for a Masters, and I've tried to get him to eat and drink again and it's been so much - (cries)

Coburn: Well I think think personally, yeah we'll help. The first thing we'll do is see what we can do individually to help you, through our office. But the other thing that's missing in this debate is us, as neighbors, helping people that need our help. You know, we've had a - (applause). The idea that the government is a solution to our problems, is an inaccurate, a very inaccurate statement.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-08-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 08:47 AM

226 posts, read 267,661 times
Quote:
Americngrl - the link gives you the complete contact address unter 'contact us'.
I'm confused - There is a list (6 items) of who is qualified - the first 4 are not "active" (have no url links).

Anyway I am in the "65 and older" category - the Income says for children and "soon to be sooners" (what is soon to be sooners?) with a family size of 1 is $2,079 and I make hundreds of dollars less than that. Other than social security I get a $200 pension payment per month and the total is about $500 less than that.

Could someone explain what soon to be sooners means? Maybe I don't get it because I'm not from Oklahoma.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
I'm confused - There is a list (6 items) of who is qualified - the first 4 are not "active" (have no url links).

Anyway I am in the "65 and older" category - the Income says for children and "soon to be sooners" (what is soon to be sooners?) with a family size of 1 is $2,079 and I make hundreds of dollars less than that. Other than social security I get a $200 pension payment per month and the total is about $500 less than that.

Could someone explain what soon to be sooners means? Maybe I don't get it because I'm not from Oklahoma.
Why do you not use the contact info and call on Tuesday given that Monday is a holiday? What does an embedded URL have to do with a qualifier being active or not? Those four are pretty cut and dry.

After almost a year in OK - I am still looking for the low cost of living.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
[quote=Threestep;45763772]Why do you not use the contact info and call on Tuesday given that Monday is a holiday? What does an embedded URL have to do with a qualifier being active or not? Those four are pretty cut and dry.

After almost a year in OK - I am still looking for the low cost of living.[/quo

Was the bolded really necessary??? AS for the COL, when I was there I couldn't find it either? What ST said is so very true. IDK what is wrong with that state, why they elect that scum. All I know from experience is like that song "In The City" by Joe Walsh-the words "When you're down, that's where you'll stay" It's sad because OK doesn't have to be that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma